Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does bay12 games allow Youtube content?  (Read 2033 times)

Magzies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Does bay12 games allow Youtube content?
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:19:06 pm »

Just wondering cause i'm planning on doing one  or so LPs on this game and i can't find anywhere they talk about it?  is there a link or does someone know if they are ok with youtube content?  Maybe a link to some written down?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does bay12 games allow Youtube content?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:01:35 am »

I don't have links but I remember reading somewhere that Toady was quoted as actually liking it when people do things like a "lets play" series on the game. It helps get the word out about Dwarf Fortress.

Magzies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:47:41 am »

might have to send them an email just to be safe.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:50:11 am »

This was already covered. Yes.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 03:11:03 pm »

I....
don't even....
why/when would this ever not be ok?

The only situation where I could ever see this as a problem is if you were a closed alpha/beta tester and you'd signed NDA.

Magzies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 03:39:54 pm »

youtube has gotten allot more nitpicky about it this year.  unless you have promission fron the owner or they have a written statement released then said you can't post videos on it.  So i was trying to cover my bases.  there are games like SWTOR that do not allow youtube videos at all.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 06:10:50 pm »

I....
don't even....
why/when would this ever not be ok?

The only situation where I could ever see this as a problem is if you were a closed alpha/beta tester and you'd signed NDA.

Devs that make bad games or vids that show their games in a bad light have a tendency to report copyright violations to get them pulled.  That's why Youtube cracked down on Let's plays.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 12:31:54 am »

wow.
How is that not stepping on free speech?

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 12:43:52 am »

wow.

They can't stop you from freely speaking about their games... but they can stop you from uploading their content.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 07:56:43 am »

wow.
YouTube is a privately-owned entity, so "free speech" doesn't apply to it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 09:55:15 am »

Bay12 gave written permission on Twitter:

neomew:
    @Bay12Games just wonder if its ok to monetize gameplay videos about dwarf fortress on youtube?

Bay 12 Games:
@neomew Yeah, that's fine. If you're talking about your own channel, email if they need more information.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Magzies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 12:27:15 pm »

Bay12 gave written permission on Twitter:

neomew:
    @Bay12Games just wonder if its ok to monetize gameplay videos about dwarf fortress on youtube?

Bay 12 Games:
@neomew Yeah, that's fine. If you're talking about your own channel, email if they need more information.
k, thx

Magzies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 12:32:41 pm »

wow.

when you play any game in the terms of use you give away any rights to any content that comes from the use of there game/s/content/s.  if you don't agree to terms of use you don't get to play their content.  this covers but is limited to videos, music, names, logos, ect...  Freedom of speech only covers what you say.  Also free speech is the law which is why furom and youtube and the like also have terms of use to limit your free speech while using their sites.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 01:01:40 pm »

You guys are aware that the particular software that started this insanity, some crappy survival game (Day One: Garry's Incident), lost its publicity war with TotalBiscuit, right?  A lot of folks are aware of that.  What you may or may not be aware of is that the heavyweights have been weighing in.  Yes, the debate rages on as Nintendo and others scream and pout while Youtube tries to dodge left to avoid being considered 'invested' in either side of the debate.

Polygon had a decent write up on the issues near the end of last year. http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/14/5208782/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-youtube-copyright-crisis

The war still rages, the lines are being drawn deeper.  The companies against Let's Plays and the like are being shouldered aside by those creating the majority of content, but big review sites (like Machinima) are being left alone.  It's quite a discussion. 

One of the best examples out there recently was Stanley's Parable, though in the creators' defense I haven't heard of them going after YouTubers.  The game IS the story, and the multiple endings.  There's not exactly a lot of skill crafting and the like.  You can, for free, watch the entire game and thus basically have played the entire game.  Where does 'Fair Use' vs. 'Content Redistribution' come into play.

This is a huge issue, guys.  Free Speech means I can put up my voice and any content I personally have created with tools that I have paid for giving me permission to use it for monetized content.  It does not mean I can leave a background up of a runway show for bathing suits while I say it, if I don't have permission to use that content.  A game is equivalent.  Fair Use covers reviews and the like, with short bursts of examples.  The majority of items in question are actual game playthroughs, though the ContentID program can be rather overzealous if the copyright owner wants it to be.  Some videos were taken down simply because a radio was heard in the background with a song.  I don't mean played on the channel, I mean some static WAAAY in the background thing.  Yet, there's enough arses out there that if that flew, they'd use that as the excuse to steal every top 40 hit and play it on their channel for their benefit.

Until Nintendo and the like go after the managed channels though, not much is going to be done except for the majority of Youtube content providers leaning towards Blizzard acceptances and indie games who need the publicity.  There's just not enough to try for a class action war amongst the average YouTuber, and it's not worth putting in the time to create a good video just so someone else can lay claim to it.

Yes, I've been following this discussion with interest since I started FurnaceClans.  I know I won't have a problem with DF, but there are other games I've thought about.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 04:26:46 am »

You guys are aware that the particular software that started this insanity, some crappy survival game (Day One: Garry's Incident), lost its publicity war with TotalBiscuit, right?
Except that Wild Game Studios (the guys behind Day One) weren't the ones who "started this insanity". This started long before the "Garry's Incident Incident", and from much larger companies. It may well even go further back than what I'm aware of (I wouldn't be surprised).

In November 2012 Sega totally blitzed Youtube, taking down loads of videos that had anything to do with Shining Force - this wasn't limited to let's plays and so on, but they targeted ANYTHING, even if it was just a video of someone talking about the game series with no gameplay footage whatsoever (how that counts as a copyright violation, I've no idea, but Sega still had the videos taken down and the videos' owners being given copyright strikes and possibly having their channel shut down if they got 3+ copyright strikes). Exactly why, I'm not sure - supposedly Sega's official stance was that they "didn't want consumers to be confused over the older games and the new one", while some people reckon they just abused the copyright system to ensure their promo video for the new game in the series would appear at the top of search results.

In May 2013 Nintendo decided to start claiming that videos with any gameplay footage of Nintendo games should have all their ad revenue directed straight into Nintendo's pocket. Amusingly, TotalBiscuit actually got caught up in this as well, with Nintendo being ballsy enough to claim the ad revenue for an episode of TB's "TGS Podcast" - the 3-hour long video contained a 30-second trailer for a Pokemon game, so clearly Nintendo deserved every penny of ad revenue for the entire show, right? :-\ The team at Polaris edited out the trailer and re-uploaded the video so Nintendo couldn't continue with their scummy tactics.
Although it was reported a month later that they'd not followed through with these plans, Nintendo apparently haven't stopped. More on this further down...

The "Garry's Incident Incident" was the next big story, in October 2013. This was mostly blown up just because the dev was a lying dick. He'd given TB a steam key to evaluate the game and post a Youtube video about it (which he was OK with provided TB added a link to the Steam store page so people watching the video could buy the game after watching it). He'd also given express permission to another user on Steam's forums that making Youtube videos was fine. He claimed TB's video was removed because "TotalBiscuit has no right to make advertising revenue with our license" while claiming that Kotaku's videos were totally fine because they "weren't monetised" (not directly on Youtube, but their website the videos were embedded on was packed with ads) and ignoring any users who pointed out any other monetised videos of the game (let's plays and the like). Ultimately, TB won because his critique is protected under fair use and the video was reinstated with a half-hearted 'apology'.

In December 2013 there was then a wide-sweeping content ID blitz right across the board, similar to the Nintendo thing from six months earlier. This led to several companies (including the likes of Blizzard, Ubisoft and Capcom) saying in public channels like Twitter that they had not requested Youtube do anything like that and they advised anyone affected to appeal and they'd quickly resolve the situation. This particular incident was what caused a number of companies to publish a video or Youtube policy that people could use if a similar event were to happen in future, such as Codemasters' one here that explicitly grants permission for people to post videos on Youtube and monetise them. After all, for any honest dev who's made a semi-decent game, these videos serve as free advertising so there shouldn't really be any significant reason for them to attack Youtubers.
Ultimately, people don't want to spend months or years of their life building up a 'brand' on Youtube, so there are a number of people who'll now only make videos of games made by devs who have given permission for monetisation.

Then TotalBiscuit got personally attacked again in February 2014, this time for Guise of the Wolf. This whole incident was so surreal, even now I kind of look back on it and wonder "Did this really happen?" and "Can a dev really be THIS stupid?". The game's devs (FUN Creators) claimed copyright to take down TB's critique and the accompanying research video. The devs denied taking it down, so a VP at Maker (the parent network TB works for) joined in saying that FUN had taken it down. The dev then claimed an email TB posted on Twitter was photoshopped, claimed they were being blackmailed, and they also posted blatantly photoshopped images to mock TB. They said lots of stuff on Twitter (now deleted) including "Our company is a lot bigger than your little youtube channel". FUN ultimately threatened that TB delete all his tweets and his Youtube channel or they'd file a lawsuit against him, so TB let Maker/Polaris' lawyers deal with it. The videos went back up, nothing else was really said about it from either party until a co-optional podcast a couple of months later when someone asked what happened with the Guise situation and TB's response was something along the lines of "Well...we actually had lawyers. They didn't.". FUN continue to heavily moderate the Steam forum to remove negative comments about their game, and in the past I've seen that they've flagged negative reviews on Steam as "abusive" even if the review just says something like "Nope".

And now back to Nintendo. In May 2013 they had a content ID sweep which pissed people off, then in June 2013 it was reported that they weren't following through with that. However, in the past month or so they've gone back to trying to grab advertising revenue from Youtubers. They've set up some affiliate program with Youtube where the content creator's share of ad revenue is split between the content creator and Nintendo. They then set about flagging videos en masse yet again. Apparently, those who are not in this affiliate program have had their content of things like Mario Kart 8 getting flagged for using copyrighted music, with all the ad revenue going to Nintendo (so it seems Ninty want the situation to be that either you agree to give them some of your ad revenue or they'll take it all)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:30:50 am by pushy »
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.
Pages: [1] 2