Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does bay12 games allow Youtube content?  (Read 2029 times)

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does bay12 games allow Youtube content?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 08:40:41 am »

Just side-tracking a little here.

I don't really need to watch let's play videos of DF, but sometimes I enjoy watching how other players plan their forts.
And well, most DF youtubers are fucking awful at this game. I don't mind when it's just a random let's play. But when they try to make some sort of tutorial series, clearly aimed at new players, and go from generally crap gameplay to downright WRONG informations, well, it's a problem.

These days I just watched a few episodes of a series. The guy claims he's doing an informative tutorial.
Yet, in the first few episodes he does the following. We are talking not even a year into the game:
- he wastes hundreds of embark points on wheelbarrows, splints, crutches, buckets, bags
- he goes from zero beds with people sleeping on the dirt to a gigantic bedroom complex with 30+ rooms, before doing anything actually useful for a new fort
- he literally makes a 20x20 farm (probably bigger), using multiple adjacent plots, with no dedicated planters, with less than 20 dwarves in his fort
- he builds his depot behind traps
- he does the god-fucking-awful gigantic 'here will be workshops' room and literally puts everything in there, ashery and soapmaker included. Half of those are sitting there, still unbuilt, 2-3 episodes later. Absolutely no regard about how or where to put all the relevant stockpiles, because:
- he does the god-fucking-awful gigantic 'here will be EVERYTHING' stockpile. And I don't mean a temporary one to get all the shit inside. He really intends to keep it that way.

I don't know if he optimizes that mess at some point. I forced myself to watch a few videos, but there's absolutely no way I'm going through 35 episodes of that garbage.

So, if you just want to make a LP to mess around or to try some kind of challenge, go for it and have fun.
But please, if you want to make a tutorial LP, a new player guide of sort, PLEASE, don't be fucking terrible at this game.

I'm pretty sure most of DF's reputation being incredibly harsh and ruthless on new players comes from these shitty youtube LPs. They see self-proclaimed experts, think they are actually good and mimic their awful gameplay, ending in absolute disaster.
Conclusion: "boho this game is IMPOSSIBLE".
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:45:37 am by Ai Shizuka »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 01:40:58 pm »

You guys are aware that the particular software that started this insanity, some crappy survival game (Day One: Garry's Incident), lost its publicity war with TotalBiscuit, right?
Except that Wild Game Studios (the guys behind Day One) weren't the ones who "started this insanity". This started long before the "Garry's Incident Incident", and from much larger companies. It may well even go further back than what I'm aware of (I wouldn't be surprised).

Well laid out information, Pushy, and thank you.  More research topics for me!

I don't really need to watch let's play videos of DF, but sometimes I enjoy watching how other players plan their forts.
And well, most DF youtubers are fucking awful at this game. I don't mind when it's just a random let's play. But when they try to make some sort of tutorial series, clearly aimed at new players, and go from generally crap gameplay to downright WRONG informations, well, it's a problem.
I had to laugh for a moment, I'd thought you were passive-aggressive on my series for a minute until I read through your entire bit.

Yeah, that's pretty bad.  :o

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 02:01:22 pm »

Glad it's not you.
I pointed some of the major flaws in the comments, but I prefer to avoid public shame on the forums. So I won't put the author's name here.
Maybe I sounded like a bit of an asshole, so to clarify: I don't mind different gameplay styles. But if someone feels the need to teach other people the basics of the game, he better be good at it.

On the other hand, I finally found a pretty decent let's play for beginners. It's 'Dwarf Fortress Ideneral' from Arumba.
Maybe a bit too heavy on the add-ons side. He uses a lot of therapist (good for beginners) and quickfort (not so good for beginners imo - strictly personal opinion of course). But he actually explain things well, both about the game itself and the add-ons. So nobody actually will ever feel it's mandatory to use quickfort or to design things in a certain way.

I'm way behind needing a youtube tutorial, but I never used the workflow plug-in so far. This guy's explanation actually made me try it.

Magzies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 12:45:14 pm »

These days I just watched a few episodes of a series. The guy claims he's doing an informative tutorial.
Yet, in the first few episodes he does the following. We are talking not even a year into the game:
- he wastes hundreds of embark points on wheelbarrows, splints, crutches, buckets, bags
- he goes from zero beds with people sleeping on the dirt to a gigantic bedroom complex with 30+ rooms, before doing anything actually useful for a new fort
- he literally makes a 20x20 farm (probably bigger), using multiple adjacent plots, with no dedicated planters, with less than 20 dwarves in his fort
- he builds his depot behind traps
- he does the god-fucking-awful gigantic 'here will be workshops' room and literally puts everything in there, ashery and soapmaker included. Half of those are sitting there, still unbuilt, 2-3 episodes later. Absolutely no regard about how or where to put all the relevant stockpiles, because:
- he does the god-fucking-awful gigantic 'here will be EVERYTHING' stockpile. And I don't mean a temporary one to get all the shit inside. He really intends to keep it that way.

I don't know if he optimizes that mess at some point. I forced myself to watch a few videos, but there's absolutely no way I'm going through 35 episodes of that garbage.

So, if you just want to make a LP to mess around or to try some kind of challenge, go for it and have fun.
But please, if you want to make a tutorial LP, a new player guide of sort, PLEASE, don't be fucking terrible at this game.

I'm pretty sure most of DF's reputation being incredibly harsh and ruthless on new players comes from these shitty youtube LPs. They see self-proclaimed experts, think they are actually good and mimic their awful gameplay, ending in absolute disaster.
Conclusion: "boho this game is IMPOSSIBLE".

Normally i do quick start guides to game.  The reason for this is i hate for people to just go around tell me word for word what to do start to finish.  I would rather show someone how to get a good start on like the first part of the game then let them go from there.  However this one is going to be a reg let's with multi season where i play the game and learn through tips from comments and from here on the forums, assuming they allow people to post link to let's plays in the forums.  So each season i should get better and better.  I have played the game allot and got the controls down.  I also like for people to enjoy watching the videos.  Was thinks of cutting each video up by seasons in game so they would but nice short videos.  I'll have to time it on the next play through and see how long each season is.

Magzies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 12:53:58 pm »

Glad it's not you.
I pointed some of the major flaws in the comments, but I prefer to avoid public shame on the forums. So I won't put the author's name here.
Maybe I sounded like a bit of an asshole, so to clarify: I don't mind different gameplay styles. But if someone feels the need to teach other people the basics of the game, he better be good at it.

On the other hand, I finally found a pretty decent let's play for beginners. It's 'Dwarf Fortress Ideneral' from Arumba.
Maybe a bit too heavy on the add-ons side. He uses a lot of therapist (good for beginners) and quickfort (not so good for beginners imo - strictly personal opinion of course). But he actually explain things well, both about the game itself and the add-ons. So nobody actually will ever feel it's mandatory to use quickfort or to design things in a certain way.

I'm way behind needing a youtube tutorial, but I never used the workflow plug-in so far. This guy's explanation actually made me try it.

I know what you mean.  when i first tryed to get into playing DF i went to youtube to watch more people.  But everytime i searched for tutorial i would get 10 people posting that it was tutorials but it was just 2 hours of map search and stupid planning and then the next 4 hours of using to plan a hundred levels of rooms.  I like to get like 3 floor full of small areas and then dig down and plan once i have everything set up after year 1.  I will check out that youtuber though cause it never hurts to see if they show more then the last play through i saw which was a actual tutorial of the MW DF.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 11:22:54 pm »

Whew, that wasn't any of my videos.. I'm not that foolish to do that sort of crap. I did plan on doing a tutorial series, with a primary focus on the UI and such, but I only ended up doing one episode. Maybe I will go back and finish it up at some point.

As for the original topic, I made a point of emailing Tarn and getting his permission.. I also copied the email to several of my alternate email addresses and printed it out, just for safety sake :D
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.
Pages: 1 [2]