Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipping in the right hand - adv. mode  (Read 339 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Equipping in the right hand - adv. mode
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:56:07 am »

After dropping the spear from his right hand, my adventurer explicitly refuses to use the said right hand to pick up the spear. He uses  left instead. Is there any way equip weapon in the right hand after picking it up?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Equipping in the right hand - adv. mode
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 07:34:43 am »

Do you have any other items in your hands? Maybe your right hand is already full, in which case picking up an item from the floor will always go into your other free hand.

Is your right hand injured? If it is, then you likely won't be able to use it for wielding a weapon.

Barring those, if, when both hands are empty, a picked-up weapon goes to your left hand, it's probably because your adventurer is left-handed. Note that there is no way you can easily view your handedness in-game, but the following DFHack command can be used to figure it out:

Code: [Select]
:lua b=df.global.world.units.active[0].body; print(b.body_plan.body_parts[b.weapon_bp].name_singular[0].value)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:41:40 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping in the right hand - adv. mode
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:45:52 am »

Do you have any other items in your hands? Maybe your right hand is already full, in which case picking up an item from the floor will always go into your other free hand.

Is your right hand injured? If it is, then you likely won't be able to use it for wielding a weapon.

Barring those, if, when both hands are empty, a picked-up weapon goes to your left hand, it's probably because your adventurer is left-handed. Note that there is no way you can easily view your handedness in-game, but the following DFHack command can be used to figure it out:

Code: [Select]
:lua b=df.global.world.units.active[0].body; print(b.body_plan.body_parts[b.weapon_bp].name_singular[0].value)

The game accounts for handedness (is it even a word?), really? Wow, what's next, quantuum mechanics for cats? Oh wait, it is already implemented...

Nevertheless, thankyou for advice. I had no idea an adventurer an be left- or right- handed.