Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wendy's  (Read 2028 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Wendy's
« on: June 17, 2014, 11:09:52 pm »

So tomorrow I start a new Job in Wendy's and I wanted to ask...how do I do a good job?

I really don't want to stay in retail and love how close this job is to me and tomorrow I start by working the fryers.

Any tips? Anything things to watch out for?

Besides customers being...ungrateful/overly aggressive sometimes?

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wendy's
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:19:54 pm »

So tomorrow I start a new Job in Wendy's and I wanted to ask...how do I do a good job?

I really don't want to stay in retail and love how close this job is to me and tomorrow I start by working the fryers.

Any tips? Anything things to watch out for?

Besides customers being...ungrateful/overly aggressive sometimes?
My best advice is to learn quickly and work hard. So far, it's stood me in good stead.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:18:32 am »

Fast food can be rough.

If you want to be popular with your managers:

-CLEAN. OMG clean. "If you got time to lean, you got time to clean." Staying busy makes your managers love you. Clean off counter tops, restock vegetables, buns, cups, trays, sweep the crap off the floor, take the trash out. Wipe down tables in the dining room. If you don't do it, eventually, your manager will ask you to drop everything and do it anyways. So just beat them to the punch.

-Be prepared for the "rush." Business in Fast Food comes in waves. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and at any time in-between. You need to be ready to shift gears when the rush hits, because it can be from 5 customer at once to 30 customers at once.

-Don't complain. Fast food sucks, everyone knows it. But complaining makes you unpopular, and you should be grateful to be working at all. Remember, some of the people you're going to be working with are career fast food workers, and they'll be older than you. Don't shit on their lives by shitting on the job.

-Keep your cool. This goes for any job, but Fast Food can go from boring to "ridiculously fucking busy" at the drop of a hat. So keep a level head when you're starting to fall behind.

-Will you be working the cash register? Be polite. If someone is being rude, let your manager deal with it, don't try to handle them yourselves.

-Will you be working the window? Be polite. Keep track of your orders and politely remind the people in the grill that they're missing your order. Because chances are, when that happens, they're in the weeds and are getting flustered themselves. Don't make it worse by being like "Where's my fries? Jeeeezzzzz."

-Volunteer to close if you can. This is optional, but offering to be a closer will make your managers love you, and will allow you to get to know them a little better. The bond between manager and worker is way stronger at night than in the day, IMO.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:32:58 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 07:22:55 am »

In my experience taking initiative is appreciated by nearly everyone, as long as the tasks they want you to do don't suffer under it.
I've also had some really good experience with talking to managers about why they do the things they do, so that I could learn from them. After a year or two, I would sometimes suggest an alternative thing to do instead of what was initially asked. They loved it. However, I'm not an American so the culture might be different.
Keeping your colleagues working without getting on their nerves is a great boon too, but be careful not to come over as a try-hard!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 04:02:46 pm »

Sorta related to taking initiative: help others out. As long as you don't make things worse, people who are busy will appreciate it when you can take something off their hands. (If you're not busy yourself.) It sounds cheesy, but acting like you're part of a team is a big part of it. Forget, like, the corporate sense of the word. It's more about being in the trenches with everyone else. So let that motivate you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:38:14 pm »

Short term at Wendy's:

1.) Show up on time and ready to work.
2.) Offer to cover other people's shifts if they need somebody to (if they need time off and need you to fill in for them).
3.) Do not bitch when you are given shitty jobs like cleaning the bathroom or mopping the floor. Don't look down at anything as beneath you. You will become the reliable one the boss notices can actually do the stuff that needs done.
4.) Volunteer to do the crap jobs nobody else wants to do. A long time ago at Subway, we had to peel onions and EVERYONE, including me hated it. I did it and they were so grateful that I didn't have to do anything else in terms of extra chores.
5.) Basically what others said.

Long Term:

Find somebody who does something you wanna do long term and see if you can job shadow them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:40:57 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:15:22 pm »

Left Wendy's after the third day (today). Didn't like how I had a more work with less benefits thing going there plus the trainers assigned didn't speak ducking English.

Well one did but he literally said " I know how to do the job but I don't know how to teach it."

Yeah..fuck that noise I'll stay in retail with Marshall.

Btw what's job shadowing?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:23:36 pm »

It's when you follow a more experienced worker to see how things work.
Shoes...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:31:45 pm »

I've worked both fast food and retail. I'll definitely say I found retail a step up from fast food. At the same time, they both opened future options for me. One of my favourite years of work was when I got a job in an actual restaurant kitchen, it was fun, hectic and fulfilling, and I got it purely off my McDonald's experience.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 05:18:10 pm »

As a professional cough burger flipper at Harvey's, seriously, just relax. It's not hard at all, so long as you can multitask at a moderate level. Once you master that all the work you do is easy as fuck, and at least at my store, once you've settled in you can get away with a lot of shit. on the whole it's a fun job, but the pay is shit.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.