Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sentient Egg Layers  (Read 995 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Sentient Egg Layers
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:50:36 pm »

I recall somewhere being told that there is a problem with Sentient Egg Layers. Specifically, that if you play as an egg-laying race in Fortress Mode, then they will not be able to breed. Something about them claiming the box but not actually laying eggs.

Is this true? I was unable to locate any documentation one way or another.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sentient Egg Layers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:18:47 pm »

I haven't done it myself yet, but I made a thread about this fairly recently, and was told that it will work. It's just that they do not claim nestboxes in any sort of logical or controlled fashion, requiring annoyingly intense levels of micromanagement to make sure everybody actually gets a box when they need one. For example, they do not respect bedroom zones and will go claim boxes in other people's rooms out from under them, etc.  They also compete for boxes with any birds or alligators or whatever that you have. And they will try to eat their own eggs if you don't stop them / and once they have flagged an egg for eating it will never hatch.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 12:16:37 am »

I recall the naga mod from back a few years had egg laying civ members. It worked just fine, although you did have to micromanage the nest boxes. I think it was for last version though, and might have changed since then. I don't think so however.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 12:34:06 am »

It should do. I'm playing a challenge involving kobolds. I expect to die in the very first year, but I'm trying to change them as little as possible to make it playable.  :)
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 12:47:34 am »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 04:51:14 pm »

Helpful. I think I might get started on that race of egg-laying insect people, now.

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 05:35:36 pm »

It should do. I'm playing a challenge involving kobolds. I expect to die in the very first year, but I'm trying to change them as little as possible to make it playable.  :)

Can you share the changes you made to the RAWs for this?  I'd like to try it out as well.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 06:44:52 pm »

Sure. I think I've still got it around somewhere. I'm at work, I'll post when I get home.