Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Good idea? Bad idea?

I love it.
I like it.
I have no strong feelings about the matter one way or another.
I dislike it.
I hate it.
I dont care.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Semi-Randomized Civs - POLL!  (Read 3195 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Semi-Randomized Civs - POLL!
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 06:14:43 pm »

Back to topic: So far 85% do like it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 06:14:37 pm »

So long as it's a gui option that can disable it or set specific sub-classes, it sounds like yet another really cool feature.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 11:47:49 am »

So how would this work on the off-chance of there being more civs than races on a map? Would there be more variety within a race or would all civs pick the same race-type? Like, would it be possible for a civ of wood-elves to go to war with an entirely different civ of high-elves?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Rhys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 02:56:36 pm »

So how would this work on the off-chance of there being more civs than races on a map? Would there be more variety within a race or would all civs pick the same race-type? Like, would it be possible for a civ of wood-elves to go to war with an entirely different civ of high-elves?

Its a vanilla raw feature. Its like the animal men, if an "underground" civ is placed the game chooses one of the defined races (ig ant man, bat man, whatever man).
They all have equal chances to be chosen. Whether they war or not depends on the ethics (they share everything entity related, like items, reactions and diplomats).
This does change 1 civilisation to a certain races, there will never be multiple races in one civ without Meph sorcery.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 02:57:04 pm »

Since they have the same ethics, they wouldnt go to war with each other. I havent tested, but if there are 10 elven civs, each one will be made from a random creature from the list... but I dont know if you get multiple caravans that way. No idea... no one has done this before to my knowledge, and I havent tested.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 10:52:59 am »

Since they have the same ethics, they wouldnt go to war with each other. I havent tested, but if there are 10 elven civs, each one will be made from a random creature from the list... but I dont know if you get multiple caravans that way. No idea... no one has done this before to my knowledge, and I havent tested.
I've done this in a few mods I made just for myself before, not very much though. I don't remember if I actually tested this myself, but I remember someone I was working with to make a mod suggested doing this, and he seems like the kind of person who would know this stuff. Basically he said that it would work exactly how you want it to work. I don't like the idea myself since you're currently changing the entire set of civs to have less insignificant low quality civs then it seems conflicting to add this. It does seem like I'll be able to disable it though so I guess I don't mind too much. At least as long as there's no reactions that are based around these new civs, like to get the super cool new thing you need to get all of the alternate civ types.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 10:58:02 am »

I don't like the idea myself since you're currently changing the entire set of civs to have less insignificant low quality civs then it seems conflicting to add this.
Could you give some more details on that? Why do you think it conflicts? Both the new civs, and this idea of multiple creature would go hand in hand... at least from my point of view.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2014, 11:24:26 am »

I don't like the idea myself since you're currently changing the entire set of civs to have less insignificant low quality civs then it seems conflicting to add this.
Could you give some more details on that? Why do you think it conflicts? Both the new civs, and this idea of multiple creature would go hand in hand... at least from my point of view.
I think that might have ended up sounding strange because it was edited from two things that I said put together because originally I put it weirdly. Basically I don't think they would add much and if I understand what you're currently doing you're replacing the civs that don't add much.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 03:04:25 pm »

I actually did this for some entities in Nchardahrk. Never thought of testing the caravans though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 09:38:11 pm »

I actually did this for some entities in Nchardahrk. Never thought of testing the caravans though.
Not like you didnt want to do this with Goblins anyway ;) I thought I might adopt this idea for all civs.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 09:46:01 pm »

i hope you do this with the insects when they come out, making them be a random place on a tech kinda tree :p
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 03:01:23 am »

I love the idea of semi-random civs, gives a little bit of variety and unexpectedness. Seems to me that werebeasts would naturally fall into this. Instead of berserking werewolves, maybe...

werecrocodiles - basically amphibious werewolves with a gnarly bite attack

wererats - less physically intimidating than werewolves, but can carry plague

that is of course if the werewolf snatchers are successful enough to stay  :P
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]