Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Armor wear out - bug?  (Read 2477 times)

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor wear out - bug?
« on: June 17, 2014, 01:35:23 pm »

I noticed that half of my military is missing equipment.
Then I saw this:

Is this normal? Wiki clearly says armor do not wear out. The set was about a year old, never seen any serious combat.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor wear out - bug?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:39:03 pm »

You put them in a stockpile set to accept refuse. Items put into one of these stockpiles will decay over time.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:52:02 pm »

You put them in a stockpile set to accept refuse. Items put into one of these stockpiles will decay over time.

TY, this has been driving me nuts trying to find the source. Does this include enemies that die on top of refuse piles?

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:56:00 pm »

Maybe I canceled station order while squad was standing on the outdoors refuse stockpile. None of my internal stockpiles accept refuse.
Thats the only explanation I can think of.

BTW, why do they throw equipment on the floor like they really hate it the same moment the order is canceled? Aren't they supposed to store it in barracks? The setting "Inactive = uniformed" is active for all months.

They also drop "two food" they are told to have with them
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:02:35 pm by falcn »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 02:34:52 pm »

What are their civilian jobs? Miners, woodcutters and hunters must wield their job's weapon-tool as a pseudo-uniform, which forces off the military uniform, including waterskin and backpack.

Equipment storage in barracks doesn't work currently, afaik.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 02:53:01 pm »

Armor can also wear out if kept in a stockpile that accepts clothing, I think.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 04:00:45 pm »

I've seen wooden armour show wear after a fire. The bin it was in burnt away but some how the armour didn't. Never seen it on metal armour. but then i haven't tried setting that on fire.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 04:37:28 pm »

What are their civilian jobs? Miners, woodcutters and hunters must wield their job's weapon-tool as a pseudo-uniform, which forces off the military uniform, including waterskin and backpack.

Equipment storage in barracks doesn't work currently, afaik.
That helped, thanks!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 05:08:34 pm »

I've seen wooden armour show wear after a fire. The bin it was in burnt away but some how the armour didn't. Never seen it on metal armour. but then i haven't tried setting that on fire.

Few metals aren't fire-safe. However, dragon's fire is more than hot enough to melt almost everything.

Forgotten Beasts and Titans can occasionally spawn with the ability to breathe dragon's fire.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:17:03 pm »

Another interesting thing is that when metal items are in a refuse stockpile (it doesn't matter HOW the item ended up in a refuse stockpile tile), as well a decaying slowly over time, they will also be almost immediately destroyed by fire or magma, just as if they were wooden items. In other words, it seems that being in a refuse stockpile takes away a metal items "immortality" and makes it vulnerable to every kind of decay just as other items are. They still don't burn but will be burned just fine.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:24:15 pm by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 06:41:01 pm »

I've had this happen to me recently too...I designated the items for melting and re-cast. Problem mostly solved!
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 07:12:54 pm »

Wow stockpiles are sillier than I thought. Not bad enough that random hunks of meat sitting on the floor without even any covering stay good for years just because that area of the floor was called "a meat stockpile," but now metal rusts or not based exclusively on the labeling of the air it is sitting in?

Sigh
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 07:46:50 pm »

I usually have horses of elven goods scattered around the map edge. I think if I put a refuse stockpile under them, they should rot away fast.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 07:49:04 pm »

I usually have horses of elven goods scattered around the map edge. I think if I put a refuse stockpile under them, they should rot away fast.
If you're gonna exploit game mechanisms that don't make any sense, you might as well just use dfhack autodump for those stacks of elf junk.

I'm not judging at all, I do it all the time! I'm just legitimately suggesting a much easier/faster method that doesn't really seem like any actual compromise on game integrity by comparison, so why not?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 08:14:42 pm »

Good idea and I always find dfhack an excellent tool! However, I manage to imagine explanations for most of the exploits and bugs in the vanilla, and find that entertaining. For me, stockpiles are actually different kinds of dense moss(inedible to grazers, of course).
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.
Pages: [1] 2