Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved RTS time travel system  (Read 1602 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Improved RTS time travel system
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:31:42 am »

Found an exploit in time travel system. It allows you to get units from the future at only the cost of 1 chronoport for a limited amount of time without actually producing them. The only requirements for that seems to be the control of the factory at the departure point and the resources for the chronoport at the point of arrival. Though maybe I can call it a feature, it still isn't very nice.
You should make a thread in Creative Projects where you post all the rules, because I'd totally like to see them. Then we could also help you debug your system.
A lot of ideas were tactically stolen from Achron, currently the best (and only) tactical time travel game. Unfortunately this game have some issues which severely diminish the roles of time mechanics and makes dealing with paradoxes an almost impossible task. So I've tried to think how that system can be improved. This is what I came up with.

The player is a character which exists at T+0 (explanation of wth T+0 is in the rules). The players can change the point of time which they observe at any moment. They can also propagate the events manually by observing them manually. They can change the speed of their observations, so they can fast forward through boring parts and slow down at the important points. The default rate of propagation of events through the time line is 3 seconds per second. This is basically the same as in Achron.

4 rules of time travel:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How normal, unparadoxed time travel is resolved:

How to make time loops:

A failed attempt at cheating the system:

Another attempt to cheat the system:

And now for paradoxes!

As far as I've noticed there's no way to cheat the system to get permanent benefits for no cost. However, there are ways to lose resources without gaining anything (due to incorrect chronoports).

If I've missed anything, tell me!

EDIT: Added a bit about making loops.

EDIT2: This system can also be pretty easily adapted for turn-based strategies, or role-playing games. You can even level up your ability to manipulate time. Like, one skill to control the time range which you can observe and issue command to, second skill to increase the maximum chronoport distance, third skill to control how fast can you fast-forward, and so on.

EDIT3:
Time travel: the classification:
1) Chronoport price : dependent on the time distance - paid in the past
2) Ability price : dependent on the ability used - paid in the future
3) Failure price : unable to pay the price in the future-when-it-becomes-the-past or inability to create a decent stable loop

Note: Failure price should be proportional to the time distance (? may be incorrect ?) and the ability magnitude (definitely). Also amount of previous failures.

In general, failure should not be an optimal option, so punishment should be stronger than the ability effect.

Ugh.

EDIT4: It appears that there are some problems with balancing time travel. Who would have thought.

EDIT4.5: Note: research how to balance chrono bombs done
Note2: research how to balance abilities which do not involve direct time travel.

ex: time heal - heal anyone up to 5 turns/minutes ago.
how do i even begin to balance that shit

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:21:14 am by Sergarr »
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Improved RTS time travel system
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:21:09 am »

Time travel makes my brain melt. Bravo for creating a system that works decently!
What are you going to do with this?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:11:59 am »

Time travel makes my brain melt. Bravo for creating a system that works decently!
What are you going to do with this?
Make an RTD with time travel?  :D

I don't know much about making games, so no fancy time travel games for me.

._.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:13:54 am »

Welp, I can guarantee if you make a time travel RTD they'll find almost every exploit in the system possible :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:32:55 am »

Welp, I can guarantee if you make a time travel RTD they'll find almost every exploit in the system possible :P
Actually, I'd better not. Time travel doesn't combine well with luck-based actions.

Can it be called an RTD if there's no rolling for the results of actions?
._.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:40:03 am »

just a plain forum game then?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:46:05 am »

There are too many magic girls there.
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 01:41:29 pm »

Time traveling magical girls. I see no problem here.

Seriously, this is really cool.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 01:45:14 pm »

[1] You travel forward in time to the point where the sun goes supernova. You die.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 02:53:15 pm »

[1] You travel forward in time to the point where the sun goes supernova. You die.
[6] You go back in time to stop yourself from going forward in time but then accidentally kill a butterfly...
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 07:02:07 am »

I've had an idea.

An idea to make a time-travel RTD.

Player's time statistics:

Special abilities:

Aaaaand I'm out of ideas.

If it's too confusing, please tell me, and I'll try to fix it to the extent of my abilities.

._.