Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unliberal Tax Evasion  (Read 3558 times)

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unliberal Tax Evasion
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:01:50 pm »

Last night I was just thinking about my poor Law Ninja (crushed in a CCS-related car accident after faithfully helping our team members secure either victory in court or a swift 'parole' the day after being incarcerated).

And one thing he never did do in the legal realm was handle paying taxes, despite all of our squad's efforts to reform the tax system.
Having to save up to pay taxes, or collect counts of tax fraud is something that could be a nice addition IMO.

It could also help the difficulty curve a little bit; when you start to win and tax codes liberalize, you're also likely to be rich and have to pay more taxes than you did when you had no income to tax.
I'm thinking that high law skill could improve your chances of finding tax breaks and loopholes in the more Conservative tax rule sets.
The important bits to discuss would be what counts as income (theft, embezzlement, manufacturing, etc), and what range of tax rates would be appropriate for the various law settings.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unliberal Tax Evasion
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:53:26 pm »

Aside from the start screen marking your income as "Funds Taxed"?

Theoretically the IRS considers criminal profits income: you're permitted to declare Fifth Amendment immunity for your source of income, but making several thou' per week selling drugs at C+ Drug Policy is theoretically taxable at whatever the current tax laws map to.

(In practice, no dealer reports their income from dealing.)

Law skill is currently kinda slanted toward criminal-defense.  I was on the tax review in law school and the topics are a bit dissimilar for anyone but a Hollywood lawyer to seamlessly transition.  Fortunately, LCS runs on Rule of Cool so that shouldn't be a problem.  ;-)  What is a problem is the Conservative Hypocrisy of demanding that the rich be taxed whilst not paying your fair share.  Especially once the government goes Liberal, the LCS should be proud to Liberally Support the new liberal government: after all those years of out-of-control military boondoggles and the prison-industrial complex, it'll need funding to clean up the country!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:44:39 pm »

Theoretically the IRS considers criminal profits income: you're permitted to declare Fifth Amendment immunity for your source of income

I now want to do this for any and every tax season, despite not doing anything illegal, just to see if they notice/get suspicious.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 08:33:00 pm »

Lets talk numbers ... from what I see, current federal income tax rates are (rounded):
Marginal%On Amounts
10%<$10k
15%$10k-$35k
25%$35k-$90k
28%$90k-$180k
33%$180k-$400k
40%>$400k
Would you folks consider that Moderate or liberal?
C+ taxes could be the inverse of the above.  Starting at 40% and dropping to 10%
C- taxes are flat, perhaps 20%?
L+ taxes need to be extreme, perhaps 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, 95%?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 08:36:58 pm »

Technically, since taxation rates only apply to the money in the bracket, you could have 100% past a certain point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:33:19 pm »

Lets talk numbers ... from what I see, current federal income tax rates are (rounded):
Marginal%On Amounts
10%<$10k
15%$10k-$35k
25%$35k-$90k
28%$90k-$180k
33%$180k-$400k
40%>$400k
C+ taxes could be the inverse of the above.  Starting at 40% and dropping to 10%

Moderate at best.  Quite possibly Conservative.  MetalSlimeHunt is correct: 100% taxation of everything over $500K or so would be Elite Liberal.  (Possibly a wealth tax, too: nobody can have more than $1M banked?)

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 12:35:16 am »

Well, it can't be conservative, since that's a flat tax, and Arch Conservative is regressive.

True enough about the income cap / 100% tax.
I like the wealth tax too, it explains how the endgame can eliminate the upper class.

For your consideration:
Note that income brackets will still need scaling to match the range of cashflow that can be seen in the LCS organization.
Income BracketArch ConservativeconservativemoderateliberalElite liberal
<$10k40%25%10%0%-100%
$10k-$35k33%25%15%10%0%
$35k-$90k28%25%25%30%50%
$90k-$180k25%25%28%45%100%
$180k-$400k15%25%33%60%100%
>$400k10%25%40%75%100%
Extras$1000 citizenship fee------5% Wealth Tax
Edit:
More extreme Elite Liberal tax rates.  Included a negative tax on the first 10k, so the government doubles your income at the low end.  "Savings tax"->"Wealth tax": it should cover assets like cars and mansions and investments, not just cash in the bank.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:06:12 am by SuicideJunkie »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 01:53:21 am »

Theoretically the IRS considers criminal profits income: you're permitted to declare Fifth Amendment immunity for your source of income, but making several thou' per week selling drugs at C+ Drug Policy is theoretically taxable at whatever the current tax laws map to.

It isn't that, it is that Tax Evasion is a loophole that they can hit criminals with.

Since proving that all their income is ill-gotten is an extremely lengthy and difficult affair. Since first you have to find the money and find the source and then see if the person knew about the criminal activity, whether or not they had reasonable doubt...

Proving they didn't pay taxes on their income is incredibly easy... all you have to essentially prove is that they have lots of money and they didn't pay taxes... which they usually wouldn't (though they usually try to clean cash) because that would be declaring illegal cash.

---

Also you should try a BIT harder on Elite Liberals. Remember think of the game as if it was made by Elite Liberals who lacked total self-awareness. The game is a parody/satire except from Elite Liberal's viewpoint.

Arch Conservatives taxing you MORE the poorer you are? Genius! it fits right in.

Elite Liberals you need to get the sort of "unrealistic expectation of success" in there. For example having no income tax until you start to become really wealthy... and that causes the game to suddenly have no Transients on the street and the Cruddy apartments become clean and crime free?

How would a Elite Liberal who lacked total awareness view the perfect Income Tax law and how would it transform America for the better?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:00:35 am by Neonivek »

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:13:00 am »

Also good points.
Modified Elite liberal taxes should now mean it isn't worth robbing a bank or having your sleeper CEO embezzle money for you, since the money will all get taxed away.
On the other hand, any of the legal fund-raising options will have double benefit.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 09:26:56 am »

Marginal%On Amounts
10%<$10k
15%$10k-$35k
25%$35k-$90k
28%$90k-$180k
33%$180k-$400k
40%>$400k

I would note that the payroll tax (a federal tax used to fund Social Security and Medicare) is a regressive tax that hits the poor/lower middle class MUCH harder than the income tax. It is 6.2% of total wages up to $106,800 for Social Security plus 1.45% of total wages with no cap for Medicare. This means if you make hundreds of millions of dollars in earned wages, you'll only pay the Social Security payroll tax on the first $106,800 of your wages, and not pay any Social Security payroll tax on wages above that, so it will be a fraction of 1% for you, but you'll still pay 1.45% of total wages towards Medicare. In other words the payroll tax functions as a flat tax for people making below $106,800 but above that it is a very REGRESSIVE tax where the rich pay a much LOWER percentage of their income than the poor. Also, the payroll tax only applies to wages, i.e. income earned from doing work and paid in the form of a salary. So it does not apply to unearned income such as interest, dividends, capital gains from the stock market, etc., which don't get taxed at all by it. Since those forms of income (unearned) are a much higher proportion of income for most wealthy people than most poor people, the payroll tax is actually EXTREMELY regressive.

As for the taxes that ARE charged on unearned income such as interest, dividends, and capital gains, those are at a much lower rate than the federal income tax (and if you also take into account state income taxes, which generally just go after earned wages it becomes even worse). There are also estate and gift taxes that pertain to those types of unearned income and are at different rates than the capital gains tax... but generally speaking ALL unearned income is taxed at a much lower rate than income earned as wages from doing work. However, there are ways to get compensation from a job that takes advantage of this tax structure in order to get a lower tax rate, by instead of getting regular wages, getting stuff like stock options or whatnot, and executive compensation packages for CEOs and other top executives tend to be structured so only a small percentage of the compensation actually gets classified by the IRS as earned wages that are subject to the maximum tax rate of around 40%, and the vast majority of executive compensation is structured as unearned income so that it gets taxed at the lower 14% rate for capital gains.

That's not to say that ALL rich people are paying around 14%. People on Wall Street who are super-rich tend to pay around 14%. But famous Hollywood movie stars, directors, etc. tend to pay around the 40% rate that's much much higher. The rich people in Hollywood generally actually DO pay their fair share of taxes, unlike the folks on Wall Street, because in the movie/TV industry, actors and other such people are paid in the form of regular wages, just often in high amounts, plus there is a high rate of unionization with groups like the Screen Actors Guild, Writer's Guild of America, etc. This is because Hollywood is quite liberal in its culture and believes in paying its taxes, generally speaking. There are some conservatives in Hollywood who are upset about having to pay OVER half their income in taxes (because the 40% or so is just the federal income tax, and if you add on various other taxes people pay such as state and local taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, etc., especially in a place like California, many rich people there pay over half their income in total taxes to all levels of government combined).

Oh yeah, sales taxes... where I live in upstate New York the sales tax is 8% on everything. So that's a flat tax on all purchases. A fairly conservative idea which hits both rich and poor with the same exact percentage. But at least sales taxes aren't regressive, like the system of earned vs. unearned taxes and the payroll tax vs. the income tax.

I mean, right now the income tax rate is about 10% in the lowest tax bracket and if you add on a payroll tax of about 7 and a half percent, that's around 17 and a half percent for poor people. But for the super-rich on Wall Street who make the bulk of their money in stuff taxed at the capital gains rate, they pay around 14 percent... which is LOWER. And the middle class, of course, gets hit the hardest, since they can't take advantage of tax avoidance schemes like the wealthy can. My own parents, for instance, have paid massive amounts of their income in taxes over the years because they are middle class and don't have access to the various tax-avoidance schemes.

There are even ways the rich can pay 0% tax on things... many of them. Keeping the money offshore and outside U.S. jurisdiction is one technique (Cayman Island and Swiss bank accounts for instance). Another is municipal bonds... unearned income on municipal bonds is completely tax-free. You can also set up your own tax-exempt foundation and use it for tax avoidance (note how almost all super-wealthy people have their own foundations, this massively decreases their already-low percentagewise tax burdens). There are countless ways to do this. So many of the super-rich pay even LESS than 14% in taxes, and it's totally legal, of course.

All in all, the progressive taxation of the federal income tax is completely undermined by the fact that it only applies that way to a specific type of earned income, namely wages, and the overall tax system is structured regressively. As for the small percentage of rich folk who actually do pay their taxes, like out in Hollywood, well this leads some of them to eschew liberalism and become born-again conservatives... that's what happened to Ronald Reagan, former Hollywood actor. Luckily for American liberals, there ARE still plenty of rich folks in places like Hollywood who are liberal and donate to liberal political campaigns... but alas, this gives them an outsized voice in the political culture, so Democratic politicians can sometimes end up being more concerned about things like people downloading pirated movies off BitTorrent and hurting the incomes of their biggest contributors than things that actually concern the liberal base of the Democratic Party, such as the current social/political/economic structure where there is high income inequality and the rich people tend to dominate things (and dominate both major political parties, just look at the speaking fees that Bill Clinton amassed from speaking to gatherings of rich folk after leaving office and how that got the Clintons to be quite wealthy themselves). I personally witnessed a part of this, as when I graduated college, my college commencement speaker was Bill Clinton, who got paid a million dollars by the university I went to for giving that commencement address. Back when I graduated high school, I had to give the commencement address myself, and nobody paid me any million dollars, I didn't get a penny. Point is, that's an example of income inequality, which is tied to the regressive tax structure, because rich people pay for the campaigns of the candidates who get elected to office, who write the tax laws, and make the tax laws regressive. So income inequality and the tax structure are also closely tied to campaign finance reform... the current system of income inequality relies on a tax structure full of loopholes and regressive ways for rich people to avoid taxes, and a legal structure around campaign finance, post-Citizens United, that allows unlimited spending by rich people on political campaigns.

There was only a very brief period when the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform was in effect and Citizens United hadn't happened, but even then, there were loads of loopholes not addressed by the campaign finance law that allowed people to still spend unlimited amounts of money on campaigns, such as "bundling" of contributions, 501(c)3s and 501(c)4s, being able to donate the maximum amount to large numbers of candidates, being able to fund "grassroots" organizing efforts like the various groups funded by people like the Koch brothers on the right or George Soros on the left, etc. And those groups that could take unlimited contributions, even with campaign finance laws in effect, they could still run "issue ads" that didn't concern any candidates, and they could run get-out-the-vote efforts, voter registration drives, direct mail, calling people on the phone with fake surveys to find out who is a reliable voter on your side, robocalls, and other organizing activities. I have done some political volunteering myself, and mostly found myself being assigned to call people on the phone to do those fake surveys to see who is a reliable voter for my side. Those surveys weren't exactly scientific, they had some politically biased language in them, plus people could see who was calling them on the caller ID... the caller ID would say "Democratic Party Headquarters" making it pretty obvious who was calling. I did the most political volunteering back around 2004, I haven't been very politically active in recent years... and the local political parties and such are quite disorganized and don't know how to run proper campaigns anymore. Plus currently, hardly anyone wants to run for office and a lot of people around here run unopposed, even folks who aren't very popular. I would run for office myself, but to be honest I wouldn't like the publicity and I don't WANT to be a politician... not to mention that I'm unqualified for almost everything and don't think I'd be able to do a good job anyway, and have various skeletons in my closet I wouldn't want the media exposing. My Congressman Richard Hanna is running unopposed in the general election and I thought about running against him but realized it would be ridiculous for someone like me to run for Congress as a write-in candidate. Still, I think I'll vote for myself as a write-in candidate this November, something I often do when I find someone distasteful running unopposed. I wonder if anyone else here does that, votes for themselves as a write-in candidate from time to time? Or I could write in something silly on the ballot... I could do something ridiculous like write in Mickey Mouse or Joe Stalin or "Bob" Dobbs or Joseph Kony or whatever. Maybe this time I'll write in Joe Stalin just for fun.

Anyway back to the main point, our tax system right now in the U.S. is pretty regressive and it's kept that way through income inequality and a very lax campaign finance system that allows the ultra-wealthy to dominate both parties and the bought-and-paid-for politicians who write the tax laws write them in such a way that rich people get to keep all their favorite tax breaks and the tax burden mostly falls on the middle class. This could change though... if just 1 of the 5 conservative-leaning judges on the Supreme Court died and were replaced by President Obama or some future Democratic Party president with a liberal-leaning judge, well then it'd be possible to do campaign finance reform and not have the Supreme Court strike it down... the biggest barrier then would be getting Congress to approve of campaign finance reform. As for changes to the tax structure to make it progressive instead of regressive, well that would only be possible AFTER all that, because otherwise, rich people would still control the political process so they would be able to stop it from happening by pointing out to members of Congress who it is who finances their campaigns and what might happen if they had less disposable income to throw around on stuff like political campaigns, and members of Congress in both parties would put their own re-election ahead of any principles they might still have. Either that or, convince rich people that they ought to pay more in taxes, and get them to advocate for that cause themselves... kinda a tough sell... I know that billionaire Warren Buffett is one of a few billionaires who advocates taxing rich people more heavily, and George Soros also advocates this, but they are way in the minority among billionaires.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 12:45:16 pm »

You could probably get a lot of support for Inanimate Carbon Rod as a write-in candidate.  Many people would be familiar with it, and a policy of not approving any new laws would be a decent campaign platform.

Sales taxes would be baked into the prices shown, so it wouldn't need to be handled separately IMO.
Personally I much prefer it that way.  In North America, sneak prices are everywhere; you get dollar stores which are secretly dollar-plus-tax stores and "only $599999".  On the other hand, I've seen some places in Europe on business trips where the listed price is 5€, and you can give them just a 5.  Much more honest that way.
In any case, just having the actual final prices listed when you're purchasing things keeps the interface simple.  (I've got $5100, and that car costs $4999, why is the option to buy greyed out?!)

As far as regressive taxation goes, I based my table mostly on the fact that C+ taxes are explicitly described in game as regressive, while C- taxes are described as flat taxes.
The overall tax system currently in real life is Arch Conservative in the game's terms.

Something else to consider, is that these tax rates would be the ones that the Liberal Crime Squad must deal with while operating.   The NPC conservatives don't actually have income and taxes to track, so they have a huge loophole with which to stay rich ;)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 07:00:24 pm »

<snip-KA101>
Something else to consider, is that these tax rates would be the ones that the Liberal Crime Squad must deal with while operating.   The NPC conservatives don't actually have income and taxes to track, so they have a huge loophole with which to stay rich ;)

I was kicking around the idea of making vault breaches/cash-on-bodies vary by legal status.  C+ taxes and corporate law, CEOs might get a Scrooge McDuck vault.  Increase taxes, down to bullion, then art, then cash, then nothing.

(Actually finding the time and starting point to code all that is another story.  :-/ )

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 10:41:57 pm »

I don't think that the Liberal CRIME Squad would pay taxes. After all, it is a CRIME squad, and criminal organizations very rarely pay their taxes. If you DO pay your taxes and you're involved in illegal activity that'll just help the government track you down and you'll get busted. For instance, say I were a drug dealing pimp who embezzled money and mugged tourists at gunpoint, as well as engaging in credit card fraud and bank robbery. I highly doubt someone like that would list all of that on their 1040 form for the IRS. Then they'd just be ASKING to get arrested. Anyway in an Arch-Conservative country with low taxes and tax laws full of loopholes and hardly any tax enforcement, I doubt there'd be any penalty at all for not paying taxes on illegal activities... the penalty would be for the illegal activities themselves, not the lack of paying taxes on them. Maybe in an Elite Liberal country with very high taxes on the rich and strict tax enforcement, you might have to pay taxes on illegal activities... and maybe if the country is really Elite Liberal, the restrictions on police activity, surveillance, information-sharing and whatnot would mean that all your tax filings with the IRS would be confidential and not available to law enforcement unless the crime was that you weren't paying your taxes. Even so, with strong enough privacy protections, the IRS, police departments, and other government agencies would be prohibited from sharing personal information about people, even if the people are wanted criminals, except in cases where it's absolutely necessary, like for instance if the police arrest you for a crime it's absolutely necessary for them to share this information with the judicial system, and if the judicial system sentences you to go to prison it's necessary for them to share the information about your sentence with the prison system, so that kind of information-sharing would always take place even under the strongest laws protecting privacy.

Anyway if we wanted to have tax evasion and stuff like that, I would think we'd need a mechanism to decide whether or not you want to pay any taxes at all, and if you do pay taxes, whether to lie on your returns in such a way as to hopefully convince them that you've paid your taxes, or whether to tell them everything and pay the full amount. Lying would generally work unless you get audited, in which case you'd pretty much definitely get caught and they'd know you were cheating on your taxes. And if you don't pay your taxes there ought to be an option to pay your back taxes with interest and then avoid any risk of going to jail. Of course another complicated matter is who in the LCS would be responsible for taxes? I think if someone who is an LCS operative does prostitution or credit card fraud or selling brownies to make money, that person would be held accountable for their own actions, although perhaps other people in the LCS might get accused of money-laundering or helping to cover it up even if they didn't do anything, since sometimes knowing about a crime and being silent gets you in trouble and labeled as a co-conspirator. Still, the game already has a mechanism whereby funds are confiscated during raids, and that is similar to collecting taxes for illegal activities. So I'm not quite sure what to do about this, in the game.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 09:28:42 pm »

I don't think that the Liberal CRIME Squad would pay taxes. After all, it is a CRIME squad, and criminal organizations very rarely pay their taxes. If you DO pay your taxes and you're involved in illegal activity that'll just help the government track you down and you'll get busted. For instance, say I were a drug dealing pimp who embezzled money and mugged tourists at gunpoint, as well as engaging in credit card fraud and bank robbery. I highly doubt someone like that would list all of that on their 1040 form for the IRS. Then they'd just be ASKING to get arrested. Anyway in an Arch-Conservative country with low taxes and tax laws full of loopholes and hardly any tax enforcement, I doubt there'd be any penalty at all for not paying taxes on illegal activities... the penalty would be for the illegal activities themselves, not the lack of paying taxes on them. Maybe in an Elite Liberal country with very high taxes on the rich and strict tax enforcement, you might have to pay taxes on illegal activities... and maybe if the country is really Elite Liberal, the restrictions on police activity, surveillance, information-sharing and whatnot would mean that all your tax filings with the IRS would be confidential and not available to law enforcement unless the crime was that you weren't paying your taxes. Even so, with strong enough privacy protections, the IRS, police departments, and other government agencies would be prohibited from sharing personal information about people, even if the people are wanted criminals, except in cases where it's absolutely necessary, like for instance if the police arrest you for a crime it's absolutely necessary for them to share this information with the judicial system, and if the judicial system sentences you to go to prison it's necessary for them to share the information about your sentence with the prison system, so that kind of information-sharing would always take place even under the strongest laws protecting privacy.

Anyway if we wanted to have tax evasion and stuff like that, I would think we'd need a mechanism to decide whether or not you want to pay any taxes at all, and if you do pay taxes, whether to lie on your returns in such a way as to hopefully convince them that you've paid your taxes, or whether to tell them everything and pay the full amount. Lying would generally work unless you get audited, in which case you'd pretty much definitely get caught and they'd know you were cheating on your taxes. And if you don't pay your taxes there ought to be an option to pay your back taxes with interest and then avoid any risk of going to jail. Of course another complicated matter is who in the LCS would be responsible for taxes? I think if someone who is an LCS operative does prostitution or credit card fraud or selling brownies to make money, that person would be held accountable for their own actions, although perhaps other people in the LCS might get accused of money-laundering or helping to cover it up even if they didn't do anything, since sometimes knowing about a crime and being silent gets you in trouble and labeled as a co-conspirator. Still, the game already has a mechanism whereby funds are confiscated during raids, and that is similar to collecting taxes for illegal activities. So I'm not quite sure what to do about this, in the game.

That privacy-protection you're asking after?  Yep, that's the idea.  And again, Fifth Amendment can be invoked on your tax return.

I know the LCS is criminal.  But mine is BETTER than the Conservatives, and we do our damndest to not be the Liberal HYPOCRITE Squad.  Nothing like hijacking the cable news broadcast and saying...

"Yes, we're the LCS.  I'm Rose.  We made a few hundred grand on pleasure-creating, no-harm-to-anyone marijuana sales over the past year, and unlike the slaveowning, Unpatriotic, Subversive! CEOs whose operations choke the skies with Conservative pollution, WE PAID TAXES ON EVERY PENNY OF IT.  Hank, that's some portfolio you've got there.  Why don't you share it with our audience?"

"That's right, Rose.  These are our plans for domestic spending.  <informative Liberal infographics here>  I'm particularly proud of the new solar advances our people have made.  If put into use throughout the country, local charge could cut loss in the grid significantly,eliminating the need for dangerous fission plants.  Our policies will cost quite a lot of money, yes.  And that's only a problem if you're a freeloading leech who takes advantage of everything the US government spends hard-earned taxpayer dollars to provide, yet you don't--"

"Hey, sorry to interrupt, Hank, but one thing we always heard in the Army was that we defended civilization as people know it.  But the government paid for us, and since taxes are what keeps the government afloat, you might say that taxes are the price you pay for civilization!"

"That..is a very good way to put it.  Thanks for pointing that out, Ariel.  Indeed, folks who don't pay their taxes certainly aren't supporting the troops.  One might almost think that they want to send our daughters and sons out with knives and aluminum armor, to go die in some desert with no water or food, for no good reason."

"So when you don't pay taxes, that actually helps the terrorists win."

And, scene.  Does that not fill you with the raging desire to Liberally pay taxes?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 01:03:53 am »

lol - actually I can see the LCS paying taxes on specific things, namely legitimate business (gasp) funded through illegal means. It's a critical ingredient of money-laundering.

A real world example: American Mafia boss Al Capone was eventually busted by the FBI not because they could prove in a court of law that his fortune was made illegally, but they could prove that he had acquired a fortune and had done so without paying taxes! In part for this reason (or so it has been said) much of the Mafia's money is now invested - and made - legally. The Mafia went from crime lords and became businessmen. Oh what horrible fate may this belie for the future of the LCS? ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:05:40 am by SlatersQuest »
Pages: [1] 2