Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Challenge: Kobold Fortress  (Read 1877 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge: Kobold Fortress
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 11:31:07 pm »

I thought you had to kiln it then build it? In that case, to hell with picks. Fixed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 11:44:52 pm »

EDIT

Looking for an embark with surface clay. Pending update

EDIT

Can't seem, to locate any surface clay. Is that a thing that exists? If so how do we find it or cause it to be placed more often in worldgen. IF necessary, we can go back to picks.

This is becoming more complicated than I expected. However, it is going to happen.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:04:03 am by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 08:01:33 am »

I think you should keep picks, just because there might be some sort of unforeseen incident.
I wouldn't know shit about clay, but I'm pretty sure you can find it on the surface.
Regards,
Dampe

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 11:25:36 am »

Welp, for some reason I ain't finding it. Tonight is my night off, So we begin in earnest tonight.

EDIT: Uncertain if eventual trade with gobbos might be possible? Added Broker Kobold.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:19:56 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 01:16:05 am »

And we are a GO!

Welcome to FLOLDIS.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Preparations, Strike the earth.

Initial impression.

Let's get started. I'm going to see what I can do as far as what is necessary to survive, but does anyone have any ideas? First things First: Storage Cave.

Glaring oversight: Broker, but nobody with the skill to build a trade depot. Well, what's done is done.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 08:14:28 am »

Kobolds'll probably just loot the caravan's shit anyway.
Regards,
Dampe

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 12:56:04 pm »

Son, we are going to loot anything that moves. We cant even make weapons outside of rock short swords. Nor can we make ammunition outside of bone arrows. We have dug defensive tranches, however.

I wonder if we can get migrants? Migrants have arrived, and apparently in lieu of a liaison a surgeon named Flabangus has appeared. Also, we have run into the minor problem that their daily lives without chairs/beds/lack of shoes can cause them to hit unhappy pretty easily.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:22:05 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 01:22:35 pm »

EDIT

Looking for an embark with surface clay. Pending update

EDIT

Can't seem, to locate any surface clay. Is that a thing that exists? If so how do we find it or cause it to be placed more often in worldgen. IF necessary, we can go back to picks.

You can harvest clay (and sand) from exposed walls, you don't need a piece of clay floor. Just draw the clay collection zone adjacent to the wall. Embarks with hill-y terrain with clay in the embark list will normally have some exposed clay. Did you enable architecture and some building skill? Like trade depots, all furnaces (includes kilns) need an architect to plan and a mason (or metalworker if you're building it from a metal bar) to finish. If you're lacking the labours to build a depot, you should also be lacking the labours to build a kiln.

Building floors or walls from clay requires the masonry labour; workshops of course just require the workshop skills, and paved roads don't need any labour to do the building work (but require architecture to construct).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 02:14:14 pm »

One kobold is already Melancholy from the absolute lack of amenities. I was actually trying to avoid clothing thoughts by removing the all clothing tokens, but that didn't work.

This is a lot of fun.

You can harvest clay (and sand) from exposed walls, you don't need a piece of clay floor. Just draw the clay collection zone adjacent to the wall. Embarks with hill-y terrain with clay in the embark list will normally have some exposed clay. Did you enable architecture and some building skill? Like trade depots, all furnaces (includes kilns) need an architect to plan and a mason (or metalworker if you're building it from a metal bar) to finish. If you're lacking the labours to build a depot, you should also be lacking the labours to build a kiln.

Yeah, the issue was that every embark I checked (I genned like 5 worlds) had nothing but underground clay. Also, after I added mining back in out of frustration, we have ourselves an embark with surface clay by sheer chance. Lovely. I did not, however, remember to add Masonry back in. It was very late at night! So this is essentially going to be a horrible squatter camp doomed to failure from the start.

The main problem I see with this is a lack of invaders and megabeasts due to a lack of exports/population. What fun is a kobold camp without roving bands of do-gooders trying to wipe you from the wilderness, or a wandering titan looking for a snack? Must remember to add Masonry for clay in the next run.

::EDIT::
The good news is that Nest Boxes are figured out. They only tried to eat the first set of their own eggs, we've got it under control now.  :D

::EDIT 2::
Floldis has survived its first year. I'm shocked.

::EDIT 3::
In the second year, kobolds have started to murder each other via tantrum. A farmer was punched in the face and killed by a fisherman. This made the fisherman feel much better. However, she promptly punched another kobold in the lung and went stark raving mad.

::EDIT::
As I watch this camp spiral down into madness and violence, I am struck by some peculiarities of Kobold on Kobold combat. Either Kobolds have the relative strength of ants, or their bodies are so light and frail disproportionate to their size that things like punching a kobold in the head (jamming the skull through the brain) and launching them 18 tiles to land dead across the moat becomes possible.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:00:59 pm by Dunamisdeos »
Pages: 1 [2]