Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

War with the elves of The Dyed Forest - Yea or Nay?

To arms! Death to all friends of nature!
- 32 (66.7%)
Indifferent
- 4 (8.3%)
Let peace return, we've humiliated them enough.
- 12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: ☼Riverrun, a Masterwork Community Dwarf Fortress RISE AGAIN!!!☼  (Read 156585 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Riverrun, a Masterwork Community Dwarf Fortress☼
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2014, 05:02:20 am »

Coming along real nice.  glad to see dailm is still alive

It's slowly going to take more and more to kill any of us soldiers. Most of us have mithril helmets and chainmail now and once we got some rigid armor for our bodies and legs we'll be more or less impervious to the goblins' attacks, and at least rusty iron limb protection to stop those pesky bites. Kiror and Ducim were the unfortunates who got killed due to lack of equipment (which the goblins and elves are so generously helping with between the goblinite and mithril shipments.)

Just imagine it, dwarves clad in shimmering mithril plate armor (as once the humans arrive Arcvasti can finish his armor research)... Which is promptly turned red and green with blood and vomit from goblins and orcs.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2014, 06:26:19 am »

That's good, but have you thought about anti-Frost Giant defences? On one hand, sweet sweet bifrost, but on the other, even that thief was ridiculously hard to kill.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2014, 06:45:40 am »

That's good, but have you thought about anti-Frost Giant defences? On one hand, sweet sweet bifrost, but on the other, even that thief was ridiculously hard to kill.

If you have ideas I'm all ears. The thieves at least will either die or run if the traps hurt them and I think mithril swords will be enough to hurt them.

I know Splint's new sword sure as hell will. A giant slayer will he be.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2014, 07:39:42 am »

If you have ideas I'm all ears. The thieves at least will either die or run if the traps hurt them and I think mithril swords will be enough to hurt them.

Draft every civilian (except for miners, woodcutters, hunters and schizophreniacs) into ranged weapon user squads, inactive, wear uniform when off-duty. Use whatever armor the military doesn't need. Making the ammo might train up some mood-worthy weaponsmiths, making armor when we have enough metal for that will do the same for weaponsmiths. Ambushers running through the traps will meet enough bolts to blot out the sun, and there won't be many unarmored civilians for them to one-shot.

If possible, also acquire some landmines or fancy war animals.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2014, 08:42:41 am »

Draft every civilian (except for miners, woodcutters, hunters and schizophreniacs) into ranged weapon user squads, inactive, wear uniform when off-duty. Use whatever armor the military doesn't need. Making the ammo might train up some mood-worthy weaponsmiths, making armor when we have enough metal for that will do the same for weaponsmiths. Ambushers running through the traps will meet enough bolts to blot out the sun, and there won't be many unarmored civilians for them to one-shot.

If possible, also acquire some landmines or fancy war animals.

Mass marksdwarves (and ranged units in general) have virtually no appeal to me in this game except in specific situations due to the way damage and ranged combat works. I'd rather have six dwarves who can hit and hurt/kill thier targets consistently than 80 who hit dirt and trees more often than they hit the enemy, never mind hurt them.

Metal is also in painfully short supply, to the extent that no soldier has full armor. At all. And a lot of what they do have is a mix of leather and rusty iron with a sprinkling of mithril on top.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2014, 09:43:53 am »

Then we should have a religious order praying non-stop for metal. Also you mentioned we are drowning in ametysts. Gem armor maybe?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2014, 09:50:42 am »

Then we should have a religious order praying non-stop for metal. Also you mentioned we are drowning in ametysts. Gem armor maybe?

That's a very unreliable method since some of the metal may not be suitable for much use and take a while to get anyway (since we currently only have a shrine.) BUT! As luck would have it, we did just get an apostle of armok in the 141 fall migrant wave. As to the gem armor... Does uh, anyone happen to know its effectiveness? I know it makes for crazy sharp weapons but armor I have no clue about.

EDIT: You know what? I don't care how effective it is. The fortress guard is getting pimp suits made of amethysts.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2014, 11:23:59 am »

EDIT: You know what? I don't care how effective it is. The fortress guard is getting pimp suits made of amethysts.

this just made me spit sundrop out of my nose

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2014, 05:37:13 pm »

1st... Whatever. Spring, something. 141.

Fell out of chair, hit head. Uhm...

2nd Granite, 141

Tenderroast has been following Arcvasti around begging him to refine the oft clumsy and barely understood science of magic. Keeps saying he wants to 'Bring the wrath of the forge' to the greenskins who killed his wife. Also, Ongos Fikod has enlisted with The Caverns and several dwarves followed her! A hero deciding to take up the sword again seems to be quite an effective recruitment tool.

24th Granite, 141

Fenglel started talking to her sword today. And considering it saw her through the worst battle we've yet seen last season? Not gonna judge. I asked Psi about my new sword and she said I had to wait; it's getting attention from Julius, though for what reason I have no clue.

Evidently Arcvasti has also gotten involved with defense preparation directly, saying something about putting all the gems we've got laying around to use. He ran off with two bags of sandstone bricks and an anvil from the slaughtered elf caravan and built something down near the future carpentry and metalworks or so I'm told.

Here she is, the first hope hopefully many bifrost blades... Only the most highly prized of all metals can best it and an unknowable amount of time and bloodshed went into twisting the bones of the frost giant to our use... And what makes this weapon more beautiful? Julius painstakingly set into the fuller and grip the most masterfully worked bone of a fallen Barghest.

I gave them both my thanks, and while no masterwork, told them I'd be honored to wield such an exquisite weapon.

17th Slate, 141

Saw a stack of apparently “Family Expansion Permits.” Kigok wants to boost fortress population, and that means more sponges.

Fuckin' great.

1st Felsite, 141

Migrants arrived by some miracle! Now I'm of a less than warm person to migrants but considering the personnel loss last year I think I can make an exception. But I see one cough unduly and I'm slamming the gate in their face.

8th Felsite, 141

Apparently our 'great' Mayor has decided he wants to make an artificial waterfall and has the miners and engineers working to make it happen. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate nobles and elected officials journal? Anyway, with the new people The Thirsty Coppers have enough dwarves to make use of all the mithril krisses and start training, and out population sits firmly at 79, 10 of which are now full-time swordsdwarves.

17th Felsite, 141

Someone's pet moleweasel stumbled on some greenskins apparently looking for payback. Made short work of them and thankfully this bunch was lacking the usual horde of demonic dogs. Me and Fergus were on our way back when we ran into more near the depot though. Chewed through them like a knife through so much plump helmet and cheese! Fergus ran down and carved up the enemy sergeant.

Oh, and one of the new migrants went missing though last week while she was out hunting, so I sent The Caverns out to find her and, well, she was in just a small state of dismemberment. Fenglel is leading a giant badger extermination mission.

18th Felsite, 141

Elves arrived to trade, which is honestly amazing. And nobody died in ambushes this time! Seriously wowed by that one!

11th Hematite, 141

Another dwarf lost to their own mental illness. Someone's pet drake did the deed this time, got a solid bite on poor Dobar's neck and shook hard enough to make his head roll away. Arcvasti talked Bembul into the idea that our bowdwarves would fare excellently against enemy troops equipped with glasstip arrows, and gem spikes are in the middle of being produced too. Man, that'll be one hell of a contrast: Flying green-tipped arrows and pink gem spikes serving alongside basically big bone darts and rusty iron pikes.

19th Hematite, 141

Tekkud named her shield. Good for her I guess.

26th Hematite, 141

New dwarf is acting off, so we're all on standby to  take him out in case he goes funny in a violent way ('course him being one of those schizos makes that inevitable anyway around here.)

3rd Malachite, 141

Now that, is one bitchin' amulet! Gotta find a place in the dining hall for this.

22nd Malachite, 141

More migrants, which is good! Taking all bets that someone is gonna die this month though. Probably one of the new people.

13th Galena, 141

Humans arrived, and as soon as they set foot in the depot they complained about our fortress being “too isolated.” Someone asked them how and they said it was because of all the trees, to which I chimed in bullshit, considering the way south is open and all.

Kugik stepped in and ended the bickering by sending a clearing crew out, not wanting the fall caravan to fail to bring their wagons.

15th Galena, 141

Bandit raiding party decided to come at us out in the open. At first, I thought the report meant they were stupid when it said there was only around 10, or maybe 15 at most, then I saw what the report also mentioned. They brought guns. Because we haven't had absolutely atrocious luck with enemies as it is, we need to get shot at with bullets as well as rusty arrows.

Welp, only thing we can do now is try and get between them and the 'caravan' I guess. Oh, and seal up if the rest of us die from gunshot injuries.

-

I swear to Uz, what Fenglel did was hilarious. As was the enemy's “impeccable” marksmanship.

She basically ran up to the bandit leader while still being shot at, and bitch-slapped him into the river.

And two dwarves suffered from butt cheek damage. Less funny though was some pretty bad misses with those muskets of theirs hit several dwarves going to the depot to drop stuff off. One of whom ended up dead.

So there's that. Poor bastard barely lasted a month here. Oh, and that new toolmaker we got's right leg went necrotic, That one asshole physician says it may have been some kind of snake venom on friggen musket balls.

4th Limestone, 141

Called it. Sooooooooo called it. Same one who made that sweet amulet too. Shame. And to add insult to injury, the same boar that killed Lolfail killed this guy and started attacking other people too. So now it's in the book keeper's room after he managed to lead it in and lock the door behind him.

-

After a few hours of headbutting the door thankfully it was finally dead. Banged its brains in.

19th Limestone, 141

Once again, this time thanks to lack of resources, Kigok's asanine mandate got left unfinished. And who gets punished? Arc-fucking-vasti. Another worker who knows literally nothing about metalworking (at least not directly in this.) 26 days in jail though rather than the 101 last time.

23rd Limestone, 141

Seems we're about to get a working hospital! Uh, kinda anyway. Still needs traction benches and chests to store supplies in.

1st Sandstone, 141

Migrants have arrive yet again! Good. More possible replacements if something bad happens to one of us. Or... Wait...

-

Okay, so I know Nobgost is a goblin-y name, but I don't think a dwarf should be that color. Oh, and at the cost of a little metal, Gumka managed to make a shoddy rusted iron anvil for Arcvasti to use in his research on plate armor.

I hope that fool's work yields fruit, don't wanna expend that shit on failed projects after all!

11th Timber, 141

Caravan arrived, big shock, from the west. Where we had to clear trees for them to get the brains to take the wagons through. Fuckin' moron traders.

13th Timber, 141

Someone made a report of 'scavenger trolls.' What the hell are those things? Trolls' retarded little brother or something? Too stupid to let goblins take care of them so they go picking through garbage?

Uh huh, well, that's more than I was lead to believe and they somehow managed to be uglier than I was expecting.

Oh, and then there was a report about goblin archers, at which point I promptly said “NOPE!” And shut the gate, telling the caravaneers they were on their own; if the goblins want the caravan so bad, they can have it. I'm not about to stick my neck out for them, not against that many goblins with bows.

19th Timber, 141

[Forgot to grab the conversation for that.]

Seems those fuckwits in the company are connected. No surprise there. Made some craftsdwarf the local baron I think.

We can just pick through the remains of the battle when they get bored and leave.

21st Timber, 141

Listened to the fighting outside for two days straight, but it's clear no dwarf escaped that mess alive aside from our own. The traps springing got less and less frequent, so I'm sure they're clogged with dead barghests. So you know what we did Journal? Told them try the other front door and half the fuckin' tools ran right in and got hit with sandstone deadfalls and their dead friends' weapons with some glass and wood saw blades and spears for good measure. They got those gummed up pretty good too though, but now the enemy's numbers are much more manageable.

All but maybe a few trolls are dead, and most of the goblin archers are dead or injured from what I can see out the peep holes in the wall. And the lesson I learned? More traps. Waaaaaaaaay more traps. I could care less if a caravan gets whacked; better them than us. But we need shit like this for when goblin marksmen come to play. After all, they did just make a rather sizable enemy force decide to fuck off. We did get to kill a few though, so there's that.

1st Moonstone, 141

It's official, we're part of the kingdom.

Whoopdee-fucking-doo. So long as that death sentence stays commuted I could care less.

So! We got us another update.  For the most part very little went on until the home caravan came and that, well... It got Fuuuuuuuuuuucked Uuuuuuuuuuuuup. No survivors. Like, at all. One guy I thought would escape wound up on the business end of a bunch of pikegoblins instead, and the traps I jammed in the ditch and the “extra front door” did the majority of the killing. Turns out stonefalls traps are quite damaging to unarmored foes such as barghests and goblin limbs.

Now, normally I don't respond this poorly to large swarms of enemy archers as readers of Carryscar will know. But I'm considerably less optimistic in Masterwork, especially when the mounts converge (Barghests bearing down on us,) rather than scatter (Civ Forge chaos dwarf horse archers.)

All in all? Not all that great, but watching the caravan get murderized was pretty entertaining. Hell I would have thought all the deaths and vermin-based miasma recently would have sent some dwarves off the deep end into crazy land, but having friends and family to talk seems to actually keeping the populous stable. I also plan on making my first ever pointless water-based construction: An artificial waterfall/river going up and around the gate and emptying back into the stream, if I can get to it that is without goblins shooting the workers.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2014, 09:13:20 pm »

Frost Giants < Volcanic Foundry. (Make volcanic weapons)

And Medicine also helps schizophrenics... they dont go crazy if they drink it.

Really great updates so far, good mix of background info, pics and story. :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:22:06 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2014, 12:33:20 am »

Before I go any further, I'd like Splint to confirm if my dorf is, in fact, a member of the fortress military, and his kills (if any) so far if so.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2014, 04:10:18 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The picture looks just epic.

By the way, if archers are still a concern, we can use some new methods to get additional protection. Here's the plan of "passable wall", which will give protection from projectiles, and will not prevent your warriors (or caravaneers) from getting in/out. You can also place a bunch of traps between those dragon's teeth.

ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2014, 05:31:10 am »

The volcanic foundry is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of reach right now. As to the medicine screw them. They won't drink it unless there's nothing else anyway and I'm honestly too lazy to build a second fort just for a tiny minority of dwarves. Besides, it's the leading cause of death for fort members and I'm hoping one of these idiots will turn out to be well liked and kick off a little civil unrest in some manner.

@ Monitor - Honestly it's the caravans' faults I'm ducking into the fort. I've been slower than normal getting roads built which meant more trees had to come down: Trees I usually use to cover my melee dwarves' advance.

@ Mr Frog - Right now you're still on engraving duty, though that's bound to change eventually due to your status as a former legion dwarf in-game.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2014, 05:35:09 am »

The volcanic foundry is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of reach right now. As to the medicine screw them. They won't drink it unless there's nothing else anyway and I'm honestly too lazy to build a second fort. Besides, it's the leading cause of death for fort members and I'm hoping one of these idiots will turn out to be well liked and kick off a little civil unrest in some manner.

They die too fucking fast to make friends '^^

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2014, 06:04:49 am »

They die too fucking fast to make friends '^^

What's odd there is most of them don't really have much going on unless they're carpenters, so they actually have plenty of time to make some.

EDIT: You know that thing where you get really bored and do shit to pass the time before oing on to other things?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30