Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

War with the elves of The Dyed Forest - Yea or Nay?

To arms! Death to all friends of nature!
- 32 (66.7%)
Indifferent
- 4 (8.3%)
Let peace return, we've humiliated them enough.
- 12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30

Author Topic: ☼Riverrun, a Masterwork Community Dwarf Fortress RISE AGAIN!!!☼  (Read 156531 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Riverrun, a Masterwork Community Dwarf Fortress☼
« Reply #405 on: January 09, 2015, 04:48:18 am »

Good. Am I spending all my time below ground, on cavern-extermination duty? I'd volunteer for more surface action to get more combat experience, Armok knows I'll need it for layer 3 and FBs, but
-at this point I fear I'd puke my guts out from sunlight
-Murphy's Law says the moment my squad doesn't guard the caverns, 5 antman ambush squads will come knocking.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 09, 2015, 05:36:03 am »

Good. Am I spending all my time below ground, on cavern-extermination duty? I'd volunteer for more surface action to get more combat experience, Armok knows I'll need it for layer 3 and FBs, but
-at this point I fear I'd puke my guts out from sunlight
-Murphy's Law says the moment my squad doesn't guard the caverns, 5 antman ambush squads will come knocking.

Actually you have spent your time below ground mostly, but doing carpentry stuff. You're easily the best carpenter, or one of them. And we haven't found the third carvern - yet. I'm building faux ruins for story purposes, and I'm probably going to try to make most of these "ruins" in the second and third caverns.

We've found the remains of an ancient fortress in the first and second, there's a dark temple of sorts hidden in the first linked to the fortress... What sort of weird shit will we fine in the darkest depths of the world? Well, besides possibly adamantine.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 09, 2015, 10:31:02 am »

But we will have a guardhouse down there, right? A secondary barracks where my squad trains, positioned in a way that every critter has to pass through it on it's way to the fortress?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 09, 2015, 10:33:51 am »

But we will have a guardhouse down there, right? A secondary barracks where my squad trains, positioned in a way that every critter has to pass through it on it's way to the fortress?

Oh no question. I even decorated it (and many other parts of the fort) with various chests, bags, and other shit to make it look like a combination store/guard house. It's basically ready to go actually, I just haven't gotten around to setting the squad up in thier new training space properly, since y'know, it's waaaaaaaaay down there.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 09, 2015, 12:51:20 pm »

Oh no question. I even decorated it (and many other parts of the fort) with various chests, bags, and other shit to make it look like a combination store/guard house. It's basically ready to go actually, I just haven't gotten around to setting the squad up in thier new training space properly, since y'know, it's waaaaaaaaay down there.

Maybe set up their bedrooms down there too, and a food/booze stockpile for good measure.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 14, 2015, 09:46:18 pm »

2nd Felsite, 153

Two important things of note journal, first is it seems we're going into the exotic pet export business thanks to all the bears and jaguar cubs we have literally laying around. Well, they'll be exotic for the humans and Company merchants anyway. Second is Erib finally finished the backlog of guild reps and diplomats that had to be dealt with. Can't say I'm sorry to see'em go.

Less important stuff is the east portcullis is finally up, but still needs hookup to a control lever. A kobold was sighted in the general area, but the little bugger bolted before anyone could lay a hand on him. Thieving little dog men.

15th Felsite, 153

Elves arrived last night, and Rakust just informed us we need to play guard dog for construction of a temple to some god named Astrea, something about the Caravan Master delivering a note about “three important guests” coming to look into the strange goings on.

Seems the Astrean Knights got wind of the wall from the drow somehow and they aren't too happy it exists, nevermind that it's still manifesting around the northern part of the keep and there might be a second level coming.

All I can say about those freaks is if they try locking up even one dwarf I'll make sure they never see the next sunrise.

-

The heretics are here to play. Two squads Keepside, three Riverside. Sending the Caverns to deal with a squad Gusil reported to the east, Darkness after the squad to the north, and my squad on the big ol' group of fucksticks to the south. They'll need to cross the bridge if they wanna get at the fort, and that means having to fight us.

-

Figures those assholes would show up right after we finished foisting piles of old armor off. Ah well. Maybe there's some useful platinum and gold stuff mixed in with all the severed limbs and shit.

4th Hematite, 153

Seems that poor sap who couldn't finish that project finally bought it sometime in the last week.

7th Hematite, 153

Ah summer, that wonderful time of year where the lizards get extra annoying.

Found out that someone asked about making a “Natural History” museum  off of the Mage's Guild. A number of complete and partial skeletons have been set aside as exhibits. Not totally sure why, but hey. We in the militia are happy to contribute to another place to screw off!

11th Hematite, 153

Yep, found dead. Poor fool had crammed himself into a gem bin in the bank. I also nosed around the archeologist's space, and it seems the ancients had a rager for obsidian swords, spears, and javelin throwers.

18th Hematite, 153

Seems the miners stumbled on something in the caverns. An old Council Chamber by the looks of things. And when I say old, I mean older than dirt old. The doors were made of what I assume used to be normal iron (damned things are rusty as hell and damn near broke off the hinges when I tried to open them,) and used to be studded with what Psi says might've been tin once upon a time. There's also a couple windows that I'm pretty sure were clear glass once too.

There's a few braziers and candelabras that the miners lit in there made of mithril and what furniture is there is made of iron – or the rusted form of it. Looks like some things weathered time in there better than others. And odd as this sound, it makes me want to put together a unit to use all those obsidian weapons the archeologist keeps dredging up. On a different note, there's also the bodies of warlocks and dwarves in the chamber, but it seems someone looted both of anything useful.

27th Hematite, 153

Seems the steeloak supply's finally dried up after what, close to a year of almost nonstop work for the herbalists? Now their looking to the ironwood. Guess that wood production's gonna be picking up again sooner than we thought.

I've also decided that in the event of more migrants to put in a requst, and have received permission, to enact a “light patrol corps” as a means of giving the extra people something semi-constructive to do – a month training, followed by a month patrolling the Keepside Perimeter.

-The following note appears to be glued in after the above statement.-

-Iron helmet, boots, gauntlets, mail shirt and hood, since we'll have more than enough for the job soon.
-Studded leather armor and greaves
-Cotton cloak+hood
-Padded leather trousers+shirt
-Wood shield

3rd Malachite, 153

Rakust ordered the portcullises removed today. Says something keeps knocking them down, and our own searches turned up jack shit, besides a dead human someone identified as Alpeth Nirnoinin. Rumor is this guy was a werewolf. Not much now though except a lumpy pile of lacerated mush.

27th Malachite, 153

Telgdr finished one fancy door today journal. Why does everyone seem to have an obsession with giants  killing people?

2nd Galena, 153

What is all I can say. I mean... We don't even have any actual diplomats here! Who in sweet mother of fuck? This can't be good.

8th Galena, 153

Those things they... They just... According to the report, they came out of the damn walls! Literally out of the walls and swarmed a warlock we didn't even know was there! What the actual fuck is going on here!? I mean, these (and two more, a green and white one that I saw attack another one with my own two eyes,) are weird enough. But... Who sent them? Oh, and we got to see what a dead ghoul looks like with a broken neck in one of the traps.

And to make matters worse, there's this huge fuck-all crab in the caverns. Not the crystal caverns either. Rakust is having any investigations of that ancient room halted and the golems and the guardian moved into position outside the gate. Hopefully 8 autonomous dwarven murderbots be more than sufficient to kill it.

At least the automatons were good for one thing, and that's letting us develop these golems.

13th Galena, 153

The damned bandits are here again. May as well send them packing again.
-
Hmph. They fancy themselves all big and bad and the last group abandons ship before the campfires even burn out.

15th Galena, 153

Two groups of pandashi ere found by some moleweasel kits. Fucking things. I should see if the new Guard Captain is as pliable as Erush was and see about taking care of the damned overgrown rat that's been crapping out more and more moleweasels.

19th Galena, 153

Khaziraad's been worried about his mages not being able to train properly, so I'm giving them the old barracks to use. Probably lots of cobwebs and dust to clear, but the racks will work well enough. Speaking of which, Vexxy lost her basilisk today. They did the usual “clean up” of various tribals and other shit we didn't plan on slowly learning to tame and a pair of olms managed to over power it. And she's been complaining of the copious meat roasts and stews. What's wrong with that woman, complaining about fine cooking like that?

And as usual, they couldn't be quick and clean about it. Don't envy the poor bastard who has to clean that mess up.

21st Galena, 153

There's a hell of a Morah Vine infestation, so we're heading out to deal with it. Damned things are everywhere. Another group of tribals was spotted as well, so Vexxy's crew is heading out to kill them before they decide to make a nuisance of themselves.

-Somewhere below the scriptorium...-

A cloaked figure moves between the bloodsteel braziers. Four heads are placed one each, the head of ghouls in the west, east, and south braziers, a warlock's in the north. They are lit, and purple flame spouts from each. The figure then moves to the center of the dark altar, finally connected and influencing the world above again after so long.

The figure produces a gleaming bar of metal, and sets it in the center of the altar, surrounded by a ring of chaos dwarf skulls.

“That should do.” The figure mutters, before kneeling before the altar and began speaking.

“Ym melak thet rd.
Uanewney aretfa thet.
Dw uanewney fweda.
Metared sher.
Aretfa!
Aretfa!
ARETFA!!!”

At this last word, a gate opened up, and from within a single beast stepped forth, a massive shrew demon.

“It worked! Hahahaha! Yes! I mean, I had doubts, but...”

The demon held up a hand.

“You call for aid is heeded, mortal. I am Magnus, one of the many. It is good to walk upon the world once more. The darkpact followers have come I assume.”

“I... Yes, master. Thier warriors have been sighted, and even now the altar has lashed out at them by turning their minions against them, and builds a wall to protect its cult.”

The demon looked upon the summoner and shook its head. “No, there is no cult here. It is long dead. Those who call this place home are unaware. And the bar you used to call me here will not go unnoticed.”

The summoner's face drained of color. “But then that means they'll... NO! They might destroy the altar! Seal the gate, suck away the energies of this place, these ruins!”

“They will do no such thing. They are but beardkin. Their nature will not allow that. They will seek to call more of us, to send us against their enemies. Perhaps harness the power of the altar itself.”

“How do you...?”

“Demonkind have waged war with the beardkin since time immemorial. We are without number, they with no shortage of devices and brave beardkin to fight and slay us. Both have lost many, killed many. This place I doubt will be no different, but we must come forth, to sweep away the evils.

The foolish dwarves who get in the way of our duty are simply misguided.”

“And most of your own kind don't exactly have a working knowledge of dwarven.” The summoner said, folding his arms.

“....... That... That is probably a factor, yes.”

“Well, I must look into securing more materials for a second summoning. I guess you can head into the fortress, but... I'd watch out for the soldiers. They maaaaaay be a little... Trigger happy so to speak.”

“I'm not sure I follow.”

The summoner rubbed the back of his neck. “Well things like you, they aren't exactly fond of. More inclined to shoot you, stab you, that sort of thing.”

“And just what in the hell is that supposed to mean?” The demon demanded, indignation in its voice.

The summoner then listed off the forgotten beasts, wyverns, and chaos dwarf mutants, many by name.

“Oh.” The demon said. “Well then I'll be extra polite then.”

Short update deployed. Use it well troopers.

Okay! So guess what we did guys! We summoned a demon! Well, twice, actually. The first one was a giant dung beetle named Shaitan, but it was made of ash so I savescummed to try again in hopes of getting something more sturdy. And lookit what we got! I seriously can't wait to sic Magnus on something. I wanna see what that gas it has does, but things like this only use it when they have a hostile nearby.

Less awesome news is...

That we got a door out of Telgdr, Edem McRandomdorf was found dead after failing his mood in gem storage for some reason, A gigantic crab thing is camped out in our upper cavern lake for some reason (it moved in, decided it liked our lake, and hasn't moved since,) Vexxy's crew killed a backlog of captured animals, and discovered that warlocks can't summon mephits in enemy territory, lest the minions turn on their masters.

Oh, there's warlocks now.

Anyways, been meaning to get this done, and while not exactly an epic bit like I wanted, I was sick of sitting on the screenshots. In other news, I may switch gears and return to Castlefly. Been in the mood for it, but I may keep onto Riverrun if anyone has any story ideas.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2015, 03:47:52 am »

hey, I've been reading this, pretty cool story so far.
also, could I have urosh, I like the idea of being a fortress born, name them "lupanian"
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2015, 04:07:06 am »

Sure thing! Glad you like the fort.  :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2015, 05:38:59 am »

While I was reading this, I thought Wow, that is a nice update for the dwarves, I didn't even realize that someone was using Rendermax and.. what, how do we have demons already, and... oh. I understand. This is Splints thread, not the 8-Armies thread.

The high-quality story suddenly makes sense. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 30, 2015, 05:59:43 am »

I will say the lack of any response was a little disheartening since, y'know, demon summoning and warlocks.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #415 on: January 30, 2015, 06:05:20 am »

I dont know... maybe you are too used to Spearbreakers? (Or you can post a link on DF reddit to get some people here)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Swords-Otter

• Bay Watcher
  • "there is always hope"
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 30, 2015, 07:53:42 pm »

I just read through this, and I think its great. I would like to request a dwarf please.
Female dwarf name Thelia Profession sword dwarf
I would prefer someone unmarried and with no relatives if possible. Thank you
There are two types of great forts. Theres "hey guys look at my awesome fort were we kill all the invaders and have steel everything". Then there's
 "Holy **** every thing is all ****ed up What the **** have we done ?"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 31, 2015, 12:24:29 am »

I dont know... maybe you are too used to Spearbreakers? (Or you can post a link on DF reddit to get some people here)

You already did on the link if I'm not mistaken. And I dunno if it's I'm used to Spearbreakers so much as I'd like something resembling a response. I'm one of those people who in fits of supreme patheticness seeks validation from random strangers for whatever reason in any given endeavor that requires me to commit more time than it takes to hit a palette with a hammer. Frankly if I were actually funny I'd probably be a good comedian with that in mind.

I just read through this, and I think its great. I would like to request a dwarf please.
Female dwarf name Thelia Profession sword dwarf
I would prefer someone unmarried and with no relatives if possible. Thank you

I'll look over what we have for ya. No promises on no relatives but not married might be possible. Big might.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 31, 2015, 04:41:30 am »

Hey, I'm just the cavern militia captain, I can't know much of demons... and if I did, saying my opinion would at the very least be considered sedition if not outright treason.

Nidor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 02, 2015, 09:29:52 am »

Heh, sorry about my drop in contributions, shortly after my last post I had broken my right hand in an accident. That kinda killed the journal entry side of things for my part.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30