Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

War with the elves of The Dyed Forest - Yea or Nay?

To arms! Death to all friends of nature!
- 32 (66.7%)
Indifferent
- 4 (8.3%)
Let peace return, we've humiliated them enough.
- 12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: ☼Riverrun, a Masterwork Community Dwarf Fortress RISE AGAIN!!!☼  (Read 156508 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Riverrun, a Masterwork Community Dwarf Fortress☼
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2014, 07:17:02 pm »

Contributions updated, and lovely journal as always! That update may or may not come tonight or tomorrow. Depends on if I feel like playing after I finish my little story regarding the gods and if not tonight, how much energy I have tomorrow afternoon (going to be hauling bits of rock and then going to the movies tomorrow.)

I will say this much: Three dwarves now have full mithril plate armor (thanks to both Nidor's prayers and three crates of steel bars we bought with some junk armor from the humans.)

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2014, 07:22:57 pm »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2014, 07:59:49 pm »

I'm a little rusty on the regular ol' storytelling front, but here's a little something. Tell me what you guys think.

Spoiler: A Meeting of Deities (click to show/hide)

Nidor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2014, 09:46:29 pm »

Nice, I always love the banter between gods. Reminds me of scenes of the Discworld ones playing boardgames with the disc as the board. Interesting to see the personalities of them all.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2014, 04:44:16 pm »

Alright, so I am back, didn't have to haul rocks, and I will say, How to Train Your Dragon 2 was pretty good, and made me feel like a douche for decapitating that wyvern. Really need to start catching and taming those monsters.

Regular update to come tonight.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2014, 07:01:35 pm »

6th Galena, 142

Looks like the plan is to wait out whatever's left up there and clean up the mud afterwards, and then install a hatch to control refilling the tank. Least nobody died, right journal?

12th Galena, 142

The humans can go fuck themselves. No wagons? No trade. Come from one of the open paths next time you douches.

14th Galena, 142

Bandit warband. Time for a real test of courage from The Soaked Darkness, they're coming out with The Grasses and The Caverns. I'm going to lead a force to wipe out the lasher squad while The Darkness keeps an eye on the river crossing. There's some wolves to the northwest, but I doubt they'll stick around when their masters die. Or get ground up in our ditch traps, whichever they pick.

-

First day's fighting is over; The enemy was planning on trying to wait us out, and had set up camp. Lost of fighting in a couple ponds happened, but they're just chest deep on us dwarves

15th Galena, 142

The rest of the humans beat a hasty retreat with the wolves being mauled by the caravan guards and traps. I suppose I can see about getting some trade done and tell the Mayor that the caravan is here since they helped...

23rd Galena, 142

Some architect came running through the barracks asking if we'd seen her daughter and we told her no; said she'd do better checking the rest fo the fort and said she had, and her 'little Medtob' has gone missing.

You know, now that I think of it I saw here window shopping inside Bomrek's Bargains and there was some kind of weird coarse fabric caught on the door... Ah well, was bound to happen eventually.

2nd Limestone, 142

You know I like Baron Rakust. The guy may whine like a bitch about his digs now and then but he doesn't go making pants-on-head retarded mandates. Mayor Kigok though can still suck my blood-soaked, bone-inlayed blue sword.

8th Limestone, 142

Heard that someone's been keeping the miners busy a level or two below the residential blocks and food storage. I'd go down to look but I went to see (and call dibs on,) our first piece of plate armor.

-

Godsdamn, it took four bars of steel to reinforce it properly and all that.  I think that's fair though, considering the protection. Psi is working with Gumka to make the rest of our armor.

23rd Limestone, 142

Nobgost the Liver Cancer sufferer officially croaked today. Heard from Reudh that his liver had more holes in it than a... A uh.... Something with a lot of holes in it.

25th Limestone, 142

Our plate armor suits are all nearly done. Psi has been working her ass off reinforcing all the armor pieces and Gumka's been busy making them.

7th Sandstone, 142

Someone's finally built a school of magic; dunno who figured it out, but at least my suspicions are confirmed. The Mayor and Baron are both pitching a fit over the symmetry of the chamber the space itself is housed in though, which honestly? Fucking hilarious. Evidently it's going to be lit by a combination of enchanted gems and braziers, which is neat I guess.

Wonder what school of magic is gonna be researched first...

8th Sandstone, 142

Whoever the fuck told Gumka that titanium is the same as Mithril lied to him. He wasted a reinforcement plate and leather on that piece of crap. I guess I can possibly give it to someone else though, badge of office or some shit.

-

Gave it to that kid Ngithol leading The Soaked Darkness. Looks funny as hell with that helmet though honestly, but hey I doubt any claws will be taking off his head at least.

13th Sandstone, 142

Seems someone's been busy, but who I haven't the foggiest. The hell does a phylactery even do?

17th Sandstone, 142

Yeah, I don't think any migrants are gonna show up here.

-

That carpenter Tath went all funny in the head and started gathering wood today. Wonder what he's gonna make?

27th Sandstone, 142

Me and Fergus officially have full plate armor, and Dailm only needs the gauntlets! Let's see those goblins hurt us now!

12th Timber, 142

there's a small clean-up operation going on and I heard that the surface farms are being shut down (as is a lot of stuff once that guy working for Teduk's has his windows. The guy slipped in at some point last month and got Rakust to order the shop to be built.

18th Timber, 142

Human diplomat arrived this morning, and as of noon a now massive clean-up operation's in full swing; evidently Baron Rakust doesn't want “massive pile of skeletons clogging a river” or “ditch full of more skeletons and rotting giant snakes” to be the face of Riverrun.

-

An enemy raiding party was sighted today near the future site of Teduk's Fine goods; Five workers were in immediate peril, so I lead my squad and the Caverns out to deal with them. For an elite archer, that enemy sergeant was...  Not really very good at his job. He got a total of six shots off before we were on his squad and he missed every single time, but he managed one last wild shot while we were tearing into the pikgoblins and...

Our lead oven operator got an arrow to the back of his head.

During the fight two dog riders got by us fleeing for the south bridge, only to be ganged up on by our new war animals. Someone's pet mastiff even managed to pull a goblin off its mutt and rip his throat out!

And during the fight, when most of the remaining pikegobs were running, Fenglel (who I sent to watch the south bridge,) and our new war animals which apparently includes a war emu of all things, stumbled into some trolls. The bears didn't take kindly to more intruders on what they clearly consider their den and laid into them and kept them tied up long enough for the rest of The Caverns to arrive.

One of the trolls chased the Miller Assog into another group of dog-riders and I gave a call for The Soaked Darkness to advance to back up The Caverns; there was no way we could save Assog though. He was too far out and I mean really, the tallest of us top out at maybe 5 feet tall at most if we're lucky. No way our short legs could carry us that fast. From what I read of the reports afterwards, Assog's pet badgerdog fought hard to try and reach his master's remains but in the end was killed as well. Better them than me though.

Tekkud and Fenglel put up the hardest fight, being separated by the surprisingly large group of slashers on dog-back and still managing to kill both the enemy macelord and lash master, sending the enemy into a rout. Unfortunately, Vexxy lost her raptor Kogsak in the fighting as well, as did someone else their pet leatherwing.

Not long afterwards some jerkass Joyous Steel merchants arrived and had the gall to complain about the fortress not being wagon friendly. I would have slapped him around but I wanted to get some damn sleep after fighting giant fucking hell hounds for three hours.

19th Timber, 142

Evidently both Kigok and Rakust didn't take well to being accused of not being wagon friendly, and pointed out numerous clear roads and told the merchants that they're gonna be waiting a long time if they want to trade. When questioned Kigok threw a rock at the caravan master and told her to look around at the corpses needing to be cleaned up and that they had no right to trade if they weren't even going to try to take another way into the area.

And while all that fighting and killing was going on, Arcvasti figured out how to mass produce coins with standardized “dies” down in his lab. Evidently it was a closely guarded merchant guild secret and many of our Joyous Steel visitors aren't franklybout this, which frankly makes it all the sweeter; the more times we can tell them to drink a nice tall glass of shut the fuck up the better. Oh, and a dead chaos dwarf was found near one of the traps. Evidently Ongos spotted the poor misguided beard and decapitated him.

25th Timber, 142

Once the last prickeberry and tree crops are in and the last windows made all the industrial shit's going to be moved below ground and a small barracks for Mr Frog's squad is slated to be built. Decided they'll take one month a season to train and another to make regular patrols around the woods. Figure since they're just a  bunch of throwaways anyway we may as well use them for something other than ammo sponge duty.

Guard Captain also took on a fourth guardsdwarf and got himself an upgrade: a big pink amethyst sledgehammer. Not a maul, not one of those fuck-all meteor hammers I sometimes hear Arcvasti mumbling about when he passes through helping with clean up (or possibly just gathering research materials, hard to tell with him.) But one of those old school industrial hammers ore breakers used to use before the processor was invented.

28th Timber, 142

Heard someone's been working on “tapping into the secrets of the Mountains' heart.” Must be some magic crap.

Update, I chose you! Use dead goblins!

So, we got us another update! This time around we have successfully built a school of magic, with research beginning with the mountainheart school of magic. We also have discovered how to make the coin press, got a squad almost fully geared in mithril plate armor (thanks in no small part to Nirod who provided a large quantity of the steel used in the boots an helmets,) and lost a couple dwarves, along with our first kidnapping.

Also amongst the dead are Vexxy's pet raptor and our war emu which was killed by a wood troll. Oh, and everyone's slowly but surely getting their own fire places and I do phylactery is for :P Anyway, sorry for lack of doodles, and enjoy another relatively short update guys!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2014, 09:00:33 pm »

Gosh, darn those Human Bandit Bandits.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2014, 09:18:14 pm »

I know right? Seems like someone didn't quite think that bit through, and frankly I find it odd the use the [whatever]guard system for naming their units at all for that matter. They aren't "empire" soldiers anymore after all.

Dunno why I even brought that up but eh.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2014, 09:27:11 pm »

The name so nice, you say it twice!
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Nidor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2014, 10:18:01 pm »

Looks like quite a bit happened, wonder if the kidnapped baby was one of those 3 born after Nidor dwarf arived. I will see if I can get another journal out tomorrow. Is welded mithril still in this version or was it after they were taken out?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2014, 10:26:25 pm »

Looks like quite a bit happened, wonder if the kidnapped baby was one of those 3 born after Nidor dwarf arrived. I will see if I can get another journal out tomorrow. Is welded mithril still in this version or was it after they were taken out?

I'm not sure. If it is, it's in a furnace/metalworking shop I've yet to build. As to when the kids were born you may have to go back through the updates to check.

Nidor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2014, 11:29:55 am »

Bit angsty, but I liked how it turned out despite that.

Not sure if I will be able to get to any other journals this weekend.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2014, 11:56:43 am »

Hey it's cool. As a heads up in the next update, you saved Tath.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2014, 12:33:37 pm »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2014, 03:48:50 pm »

[The Following Update is from the perspective of another resident, Unib Soshdodok, one of the local arcane dwarves. I wanted to fiddle with more archaic speech done in something resembling a Bravemule style, to see if I could pull it off and for a little variety. In this case, it is assumed Sorceress Unib was raised in one hell of a backwater hilltown, and refers to Riverrun's residents often as Outcasts.]

1st Moonstone 142

The Miller Assog is found dead, confirming the words of the Militia. Some 20 Outcasts shout in despair and anger, but are not a danger to others.

5th Moonstone 142

Mayor Kigok bellows orders for querns. Baron Rakust challenges the orders and the two bellow at each other with great menace. Mayor Kigok eventually wins the quarrel when she proves the order was standing, and she merely reminded us outcasts of them.

7th Moonstone 142

The Masons are quick to finish the orders to avoid discipline. I understand their bustle, as two dwarves nearly perished when discipline was last dispensed.

An eerie sword-handed statue is placed beside the shrine. I know not its purpose and it stands silently watching all who pass with unspoken menace, only its head turning with creaks and groans of brass as outcasts pass it. There is talk of finding volunteers to become more of these statues. This has made me uneasy.

11th Moonstone 142

The Inventor Arcvasti demands knowledge of what sorcerer learned the secrets of the Mountainheart Alter's design. He approached me with menace and made his demands as I went to snooze, but I could not answer him, as I was cleaning the surface of dead greenskins and their demonic war mutts. I will avoid him in the future, for his gaze carries much terrible menace and he carries an aura of madness about him.

I have asked for a door in my room with locks so that he may not approach me when I go to snooze again.

15th Moonstone 142

I have still not received my door.

16th Moonstone 142

I passed the baron's door and peeked to hear discussion with the liaison and learned of his empowering. He is a good noble, and makes no strange demands like Mayor Kigok. May Count Rakust live long.

20st Moonstone 142

The Apostle Nidor is asked to speak at burial of dead dwarves. He speaks little of them, as he did not know them, but places blessings of Rulush on their dwarf meat-filled coffins. He was then called on to pray for wool to save Tath the carpenter.

His prayers to Rulush are answered first, and Tath is rewarded with life-saving wool.

The shape of the Mountainheart Alter chamber unnerves me. It lacks proper shape and art, and causes my snoozes to be uneasy. It reminds me of the menace with which Arcvasti glares at us sorcerers.

23rd Moonstone 142

The Carpenter finishes his work thank to Nidor. It is a fine table, with much artistry in its square shape. Tath is not permitted to enjoy is fine creation, and Mayor Kigok bellows at him to assist in removal of dead goblins and blood stacks from the land.

24th Moonstone 142

Mayor Kigok has not been seen since the speaker of the company left and none can open her solid sandstone door, not even the mightiest militia or the Guard Captain with his large hammer. A Toolmaker outcast inspected the door and found the locks damaged with knife or cleaver. Many choose to ignore the Mayor's cries for help, myself included. The message is clear to all fellow outcasts, poor mayors will die sober.

25th Moonstone 142

The Soaked Darkness become swordlords one by one in the eyes of the militia commander. The Militia Commander is a frightful dwarf, and all geenskins who have quarreled with him over our wealth have found their limb meat severed and their blood in great stacks about our lands. All dwarves who would do the same would likely join them.

A show of jest is made and the plump helmet man Temptedlutes is made mayor, and it proves to be a better mayor. Kigok is still ignored. And I have still not received my door in spite of several petitions to the count for one.

28th Moonstone 142

Monkeys seek to steal from the company merchants. The company guards in turn slay them. We must now clear the bodies from the trench and near the shops. Petitions for more apartments are met with ire by Count Rakust, who accuses some outcast of having better dining arrangements than him. He orders the miners dig more living rooms regardless.

1st Opal 142

The Mountainheart Alter is finished and the chamber continues to unnerve me. I refuse to join the mountainheart school of magic, even if I am to be struck down by the militia commander or guard captain. Words are shared by a fellow sorcerer that Arcvasti now works to uncover the secrets of the waves, Rulush's domain. He also appears to no longer care about the earth alter's discovery. I ask to see the plans so I will know if I will be unnerved by the chamber.

It resembles a weight crashing through stacks of water. I am considerably less unnerved by this than the mountainheart chamber.

2nd Opal 142

The blind fisherdwarf Urist habitually complains of his eyes to the doctors. I called him a dolt for this and accuse him of laziness. The huntress Vexxy strikes me with rolls of meat and cheese and glares at me with great menace.

I petition again for a door to avoid Vexxy more easily.

3rd Opal 142

The two orderlies are tasked to assist with building design, as the existing designers are too few. I do not trust them as they last skill.

6th Opal 142

The demented Inventor Arcvasti proclaims Oceanguide Alter complete. He now studies the resurrection of wyverns, should the remains be properly dissected and a soul found resting within their unmoving forms. Fellow outcasts mock him. I instead retreated to my room, fearful of his intent to revive dead dragons.

I still have not received my door.

14th Opal 142

In the past 6 sunrises, I am told I may be required to prepare for battle soon by the Militia Commander, as are all of the sorcerers. However we wait for the remaining alters to be finished, so we may have all four elements from which to pick. I ask of the the white and black magics, and I am told we cannot make them, as Arcvasti cannot study the magic of good or evil lands without wood bearing said magics.

I will snooze more easily knowing this. In the meantime, Psi is tasked with the forging of mail for the sorcerers and the miners with finishing the apartments so that they may find ore to harvest magic metal from.

27th Opal 142

Once-Mayor Kigok's child is freed after the bits of knife or cleaver are removed from the locks and reports her mother dead of thirst. Kigok died sober as was demanded by fellow outcasts and the child was told this. The child did not respond well and became very unhappy and went to seek needed meat and rum.

28th Opal 142

Arcvasti demands quarry bushes be planted for oil with great menace. The farmers comply, if only to make him stop glaring and bellowing.

2nd Obsidian 142

Acid turrets from last year's slaughtered company merchants now guard the front gate with frightful bears. Those who attempt illegal entry will be met with savage clanking and squirts of acid.

7th Obsidian 142

I have received my door with locks and snooze more easily now.

Alright, so. We got a short update done from a different perspective for shits and giggles. We now have two magic alters and need to get some quarry bushes for the oil needed to make the fire one and a large gem is being made for air research and silk prayed for in case we lack it for the air alter as well.

All in all if nothing else I hope my feeble attempt at variety will be met with some laughs, cause I really wanted to make an update like this and at least it covers most of winter. Enjoy guys!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30