Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

War with the elves of The Dyed Forest - Yea or Nay?

To arms! Death to all friends of nature!
- 32 (66.7%)
Indifferent
- 4 (8.3%)
Let peace return, we've humiliated them enough.
- 12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30

Author Topic: ☼Riverrun, a Masterwork Community Dwarf Fortress RISE AGAIN!!!☼  (Read 156520 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Riverrun, a Masterwork Community Dwarf Fortress☼
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2014, 07:18:35 pm »

-snip-

• If your dorf dies, they ded. Anyone with abilities that may lead to otherwise will be left to rot and handled with gloves afterwards. You're welcome to claim a new one though.

-snip

Did you add this one for me?  :P You shouldn't have.  :P

I'll claim a dorf when I cach up to the story.

Edit: Ill take an Arcane dwarf.
Name Khaziraad
Backstory: Khazirad is an old dwarf, even if he doesn't look like one. He had seen many battles, sometimes from uncomfortably close distances, though he did not participate in the mele himself. And in every battle he saw the same - unless one side was overwhelmingly stronger, most did not live to walk away. Now, he seeks to bring imbalance to the battlefield by magical forces, to save lives via finishing a battle before it even starts.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:28:14 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2014, 07:24:54 pm »

-snip-

• If your dorf dies, they ded. Anyone with abilities that may lead to otherwise will be left to rot and handled with gloves afterwards. You're welcome to claim a new one though.

-snip

Did you add this one for me?  :P You shouldn't have.  :P

I'll claim a dorf when I cach up to the story.

Take your time man. And yes, I did. Mostly.  :P

Nidor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2014, 10:36:08 am »

Hope the scavenged page gag isn't outstaying its welcome, I figured it reflected his beggar origins of using whatever was at hand. I will put interactions with other claimed dwarves, since I haven't gathered enough about their personalities I will keep it brief.

Tried to fit as many cameos in as I felt comfortable with, I didn't see any characterization from Reudh's dwarf, so kinda fell back on his Spearbreakers type of friendliness. As for Monitor and Mr Frog's dwarves I figured the sibling prankster angle would be sufficient characterization without stepping on toes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:48:51 am by Nidor »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2014, 11:06:36 am »

Nice as always. Only glitch is Psi is female (I didn't post genders though so it's fair to assume always male :P)

Also, with Vexxy in mind, turns out she's had at least two kids not counting the one she had out here in Riverrun and is part of a family of 6, with two brothers (both on site) and one sister and Vexxy being the firstborn. Since this stuff isn't really important  to the next update I'll add that Nuglush Zolakreksas the cook is her youngest brother and As Zevutibmat the fisher farmer turned psychiatrist is her oldest son.  The youngest member of the four is an Alchemist named Kokdath who is alive and well. Vexxy's youngest child and only daughter Urir is a wandering/mercenary axedwarf, also alive and well.

Nidor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2014, 11:54:17 am »

Ah, fair enough, I'll skim through and find that mention of PSI, I'll try to get another journal out today that covers more time than a day by day thing, if nothing else but to keep me from rereading the fort updates because I wasn't sure when some events happened. Off to work though, so will be a bit later than usual.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2014, 01:24:30 pm »

14th Felsite, 142

Found out Arcvasti almost croaked in jail. Apparently nobody thought to bring him some water. That does not bode well for any of us who get injured in combat...

16th Felsite, 142

Assigned a bunch of 'inventors' we don't need and that one beast dissector who just arrived to Mr Frog's unit, and the elves are here. A couple critters they had were what looked like an elephant's slightly smaller (and much furrier) cousin and two bears, one black the other brown and grizzly. I think I know what we're buying next spring if Rakust or Kigok see them.

-

What the fuck did the admins have Erib buy all that hide root dye for? We have plenty of brown blocks laying around as it is, unless they plan on painting the hell out of something... What were Teduk's company colors again? Maybe that's what they're planning to do. That disreputable looking guy from Bomrek's Bargains did say someone in the Teduk chain wanted to open a shop here...

21st Felsite, 142

Saw Mr Frog nick one of the mithril flasks Erib bought. Amazing how valuable 'trinket' metals like rose gold are to the elves who can't make it themselves for fear of harming their lovely firewood homes.

24th Felsite, 142

If there's one thing these moleweasels are good for, it's coaxing these pricks into showing their ugly hides. I'm sending The Soaked Darkness on this group with The Caverns on back-up detail. Time for them to get a trial by fire.

-

Amazing that group didn't bring those damned mutts for once. Good to see them fighting fair (more or less anyway, the assholes did bring a bow to a sword fight.) The Soaked Darkness acquitted themselves well in the skirmish; The Caverns didn't even need to get involved! May not be swordlords yet, but I daresay they'll do alright.

I can only hope Mr Frog's unit, The Granite Paints, fare so well in their first clash, if only for their families' sakes. I could care less about that giant badger's asshole though, but nope. Can't publicly say that, the dwarves here would probably tear my ass to pieces in my sleep (or worse, leave me in a room with the smurfs alone for a month with only a knuckle duster, a barrel, and two blocks.)

4th Hematite, 142

Heard that anyone with any magic ability's been forbidden from taking on 'dangerous work' yesterday. Must mean someone somewhere plans on setting up a school of magic. Good timing, since Libash almost got herself torn in half yesterday by a giant bobcat. Only thing that stopped that was Amost being nearby and putting a bolt in its neck. Seems bobcats of all sizes don't respond well to sudden horrific neck bone injuries.

8th Hematite, 142

I sent someone down to cut Bembul loose; found out from the Bookkeeper (who was tossing out some dead rats,) that the poor bastard hadn't been so much as watered in days, never mind boozed. I don't give a fuck what the guard says, we can't afford to lose Bembul to some jackass mayor's asinine mandates.

And besides, what're they gonna do about it? I've made it pretty clear I can take out a small troop of goblins on my own (more or less anyway,) nevermind three rent-a-guards in stupid gemstone gear. Besides, that jerkass Kigok's rooms are finally finished and up to snuff so she has no reason to complain; Bembul did his time and almost died and she got her precious rooms.

-

I stand Corrected. Mr Frog dragged Bembul up to the hospital after the captain beat him within an inch of his life while he was trying desperately to get a drink. Is 'justice' really so much more important than a dwarf's life to those idiots!? At least Mr Frog was nice enough to help the glassmaker out. Might be an asshole but he does his part.

9th Hematite, 142

By some twisted fucking miracle Bembul's gonna be okay. The Tailor Minkot stormed through the barracks with a bucket of water telling everyone she saw that they're “a bunch of self-centered assholes too busy sitting around with their thumbs up their asses to help another dwarf.”

18th Hematite, 142

Turns out Vexxy's had more than one kid before. Our new psychiatrist As is her oldest son. Apparently the guy took to a similar path of going after aquatic animals rather than land ones and they only just saw eachother today. Vexxy looked like she'd just about shit herself, and so did As for that matter. Guess they each thought the other was dead or something (carp were a slight problem back north; dunno why they're even in the rivers this far inland but fisherdwarves rarely lasted more than a month or two back home, and Vexxy's chosen career usually ends with the hunter dead by giant badger or some other awful thing.)

22nd Hematite, 142

And lo, did Riverrun have it's first marriage! I congratulated the two at their reception before I went to bed last night; party was still in full swing I'm pretty sure everyone there's gonna be pretty hungover from the sheer amount of beer and rum I saw getting downed.

28th Hematite, 142

Arcvasti's been working on that damned reasearch of his again and he says he thinks he can figure out something if we can get steel to use as reinforcement plates and some leather. Fucking idiot doesn't seem to realize steel's in just a slight shortage right now.

Oh and we're under attack by another wyvern. Don't wanna kill it, but it seems it's inevitable. Time to see how well Bifrost works on dragonhide.

-

Works pretty damn well!

8th Malachite, 142

Doesn't seem anyone wants to come to lovely ol' Riverrun, and honestly I don't blame'em after what happened to the last caravan.

That Nidor guy's also proving pretty useful and frankly the gods seem quite keen to listen to him when he asks for supplies (at least Rulush does, since he seems to be the only one who gives us anything. Guess he likes to tend to his followers' prayers.) Some have even jokingly called him a legendary Apostle of Rulush.

9th Malachite, 142

He did it. He finally figured it out, the way to make plate armor like the heroes of old used! And with the mithril that was so generously sold to us, we may well have some mithril plate armor to protect us from harm soon! Some of the others say that's stupid and we should use something else but so far the elves have been our only reliable metal importer and mithril's light, which is a must for us since we're always outnumbered.

On that note, Mr Frog's unit's been fully equipped in their leather gear. As a show of mild support and a thanks for saving Bembul, I'm having some bronze mail shirts and hoods made for them.

14th Malachite, 142

Fenglel named her shield today, The Held Circumstances. Why does that seem oddly fitting?

23rd Malachite, 142

The Engravers have been deployed on a lovely errand: Make the baron shut the fuck up about the Bookkeeper having a nicer dining room than him. The hospital is also finally filling up with water, which also hopefully means we won't nearly lose another dwarf to dehydration.

3rd Galena, 142

Welp, the water tank is full at least.

Okay! So, we had a few small things happen: A marriage, a squad was tested in battle, Mr Frog's unit is fully outfitted with full leather armor and bronze mail shirts+hoods, Splint decapitated a wyvern after being used as a basketball for a little bit, we can now make plate armor (only took Arcvasti two tries,) Bembul almost died three times (pulled off a barrel twice and beaten once – almost to death,) and the hospital accidentally flooded.

I sealed the floodgates, but I forgot to install my usual anti-flood hatch (read: retracting bridge,) to stop the flow of leftovers on the hospital side of the floodgates, so the hospital/crypt has to put up with that for a little while.

A short update, but I felt this a nice enough one to post on its own since there was a wyvern attack, some goblins, and a minor flood all in one update! Enjoy guys, I may make another one later tonight.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2014, 03:12:26 pm »

yay! bembul lives! And i get to get my pyro on soonish (i hope)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2014, 03:21:42 pm »

yay! bembul lives! And i get to get my pyro on soonish (i hope)

Gonna be a while yet for that I'm afraid. Still need to dig out the spaces for everything and whatnot and see what exactly will be needed to carry out the research.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2014, 03:35:38 pm »

What's the deal with the floodgates in the hunters lodge? Are you planning to use them for emergency submerging in case of Freetown?  :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:37:24 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2014, 03:38:49 pm »

if i remember correctly, earth magic needs a sand bag, a boulder, and clay.
water needs tear of armok, and some other stuff
fire needs blood of armok, coal, and i think oil
air... i think silk, and feathers. not sure what else.

All i really ever use in my own forts is earth and rarely, fire. Earth make for some badass soldiers

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2014, 03:49:33 pm »

What's the deal with the floodgates in the hunters lodge? Are you planning to use them for emergency submerging in case of Freetown?  :P

Actually the lodge was originally meant as an emergency shelter; in the event of a disaster it could be emptied out one side and used as additional living space/boar storage for the other, with the survivors holed up in the lodge proper.

if i remember correctly, earth magic needs a sand bag, a boulder, and clay.
water needs tear of armok, and some other stuff
fire needs blood of armok, coal, and i think oil
air... i think silk, and feathers. not sure what else.

All i really ever use in my own forts is earth and rarely, fire. Earth make for some badass soldiers

Actually I meant for the school itself. I think the fire school requires lye though (might be oil, don't remember) which was purchased from the humans last year in preparation. If memory serves air mages can be downright terrifying since they can use a silk blast to immobilize enemies and aren't affected by webs. This makes them excellent GCS and web titan/FB hunters (granted this is situational and they can't be deployed alongside non air-school mages and soldiers.) Likewise fire mages like Tenderroast will eventually be are going to be extremely dangerous to both friend and foe and will need to be deployed carefully.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2014, 04:24:25 pm »

thats what i meant, the research needed for the different elemental schools. And yea, fire can fuck some shit up. I've only ever used fire once... for shits and giggles, i made him an herbalist, and let him roam the surface. If ambushers attacked him, they got roasted... along with everything else up there =P

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2014, 05:23:48 pm »

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2014, 05:51:31 pm »

Heh, got a good laugh out of that Arcvasti. Much appreciated.

@ Dreamerghost - Just saw that edit of yours. I'll check for a male sorcerer we may have handy. Got you set up. You got the older of two male ones, Khaziraad Onamcuggan.

Nidor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2014, 06:40:14 pm »

snip: Some have even jokingly called him a legendary Apostle of Rulush.
Awesome, I was hoping he'd make it that far. And just now noticed that translated name.

Another journal, this one is to catch up a bit, so it tends to just parrot what was stated in the updates. He is a bit of a workaholic in this round, mostly from my previous experience with prayerdwarves not having much else to do, and not having to bring materials to a shrine mean they don't move for anything short of breaks and needs.

I think that gets me one update behind the main game updates, I will try to stay about that far back to leave room to react to other's updates.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30