Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Give me suggestions for a challenge  (Read 2029 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Give me suggestions for a challenge
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 05:46:51 am »

Put every dwarf in the military (not all have to the active) and bumrush every siege that turns up, with your entire population (play Fortress Defence II because this would be *no challenge at all* in vanilla), for extra credit don't use crossbows, for extra-extra credit don't produce any weapons or armour and just equip what you can salvage.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 05:58:35 am »

Extra bonus: No weapons.  A martial arts fortress. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 04:28:51 pm »

Embark on 100% reanimating tiles (bonus for max savagery too). No safe tiles in embark area.

Can only turtle for 1 year. When spring rolls around you must open your fort to the undead horde now inhabiting the surface* (hope your method of permanent zombie killing can survive the flyers + supersized undead that break bridges).

I haven't beat this one yet.

*Poor migrants.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 07:19:49 pm »

I'm starting a new fort, and I want to add some arbitrary constraints to make it more challenging. So far I have the following:

1. Walling off is prohibited. This means that I can't create a trap maze to pwn sieges. Instead, I can only have well positioned squads and fortifications. Traps will be allowed as long as they aren't part of a maze.

2. I will name the first 7 dwarves. I will also name their spouses and kin. If at any time there are no named dwarves remaining alive the game is lost.

3. Population cap at 100.

4. At least 1 named dwarf must be in the military as soon as possible.

5. I have to build extravagant rooms and tombs for all named dwarves.

What else?

How do you define walling off? Are you allowed to build buildings (not (B)uildings, I mean structures consisting of walls and roofs)? If so, what is the cutoff between a building and a walled-off map, and how do you determine this?

How do you define a trap maze? Minimum distance to the nearest wall from a given trap? Relationship between trap density and wall density? Number of turns per linear distance?

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 11:47:18 pm »

Limit what you trade - e.g. only cut gems, or glassware or pottery or cloth.

Prepare a feast for visiting caravans - gift them your most valuable food pot and your 3 most valuable booze pots.

Produce only copper armor and weapons so your only iron is scavenged from dead invaders (don't melt it and remake, just use as is).

Locate all workshops, beds, chairs and tables above-ground.

Only use furniture that has been gem-set.

Have dwarves eat a vegan diet - only plants, no eggs or cheese.

Let vampires run free until they are witnessed, and then just let them serve their jail term and go free again.

Build a staircase from the caverns to the surface so the cavern creatures can path to the surface.

Attack titans and FBs with entire melee squads regardless of their special attack and without save-scumming :)
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 04:56:05 pm »

This can be alternately really hard, or even preferable depending on what you're major problems are (lag is minimized, fewer dwarves to run, etc.) 400, on the other hand, makes defense possibly much easier (30% military, a good usual number, would be 120 soldiers) but organizing it (not to mention the lag) would be hell.

Hmm. Try this: No more then some arbitrary percentage, let's say 20% maybe, of your fort can be military. Hard cap mind: You can't build up a massive military then use the best.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 06:53:21 pm »

Try a one dwarf army. Only a single dwarf can be enlisted in the military at a time.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 07:40:34 pm »

I'm starting a new fort, and I want to add some arbitrary constraints to make it more challenging. So far I have the following:

1. Walling off is prohibited. This means that I can't create a trap maze to pwn sieges. Instead, I can only have well positioned squads and fortifications. Traps will be allowed as long as they aren't part of a maze.
Upgrade this to "no traps, period" as in, premade traps (stonefall, weapon, cage). I would personally allow cage as a method of capturing exotic animals, since there's no other means of doing so, but not for defense. Also, I think this would have to include "no complex player-made traps, either, if they involve sealing off chambers as part of the operation" since that would be walling off (even if temporarily, it's a slippery slope). Anything short of these just sounds like waffling on "no walling off" by exploiting technicalities. Be firm in a clear definition if you're gonna commit to that.

2. I will name the first 7 dwarves. I will also name their spouses and kin. If at any time there are no named dwarves remaining alive the game is lost.

This feels a little random. Not sure why this adds to the challenge at all. 100 is more than enough to do anything.If you want a challengingly small number of dwarves, it would have to be more like 10. Unless it's just for FPS or something.

This doesn't mean much by itself. Because that one can just die, then you're off the hook. A more challenging yet still reasonable upgrade would be "always having at least one named dwarf in the military in squads you actually use."

What else?
Comments in red.
Additional suggestions:
1) Vegetarian dwarves, only aboveground crops (actually grown aboveground, not abusing the "roof over afterward" bug)
2) There's always the option of modding in some creatures. Namely, more flying attackers is the easiest meaningful change. Like just simplymaking goblins able to fly, for instance.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 08:34:55 pm »

I'm going to build on this in orange.

Upgrade this to "no traps, period" as in, premade traps (stonefall, weapon, cage). I would personally allow cage as a method of capturing exotic animals, since there's no other means of doing so, but not for defense. Also, I think this would have to include "no complex player-made traps, either, if they involve sealing off chambers as part of the operation" since that would be walling off (even if temporarily, it's a slippery slope). Anything short of these just sounds like waffling on "no walling off" by exploiting technicalities. Be firm in a clear definition if you're gonna commit to that.
I suggest traps, but no walls. No constructed walls anywhere. Also, no drawbridges. Also, weapon traps cannot contain more than a single item. Seriously, who puts 10 sawblades in a 7x7 area.

If at any time, the current Noble Leader of the site (Count, Baron, King etc) Is killed by another living creature, the game ends. This includes tantruming dwarves, as well as any engineered accident.

This feels a little random. Not sure why this adds to the challenge at all. 100 is more than enough to do anything.If you want a challengingly small number of dwarves, it would have to be more like 10. Unless it's just for FPS or something.

This doesn't mean much by itself. Because that one can just die, then you're off the hook. A more challenging yet still reasonable upgrade would be "always having at least one named dwarf in the military in squads you actually use."
ALL miltiary must be melee. No Marksdwarves.

Add to this that any dwarf that has ever held a noble position (Including Mayor) must have a room and tomb. Also include any dwarf that has ever been in your fortress military.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 02:31:31 am »

Also, weapon traps cannot contain more than a single item. Seriously, who puts 10 sawblades in a 7x7 area.

I've always envisioned dwarven weapon traps as being a little like this, but with massive green glass saws:

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 03:34:56 am »

I always thought this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:37:35 am by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 03:42:53 am »

Play the game while submerged in a tank of cold beer.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 10:38:34 am »

Download the Daleks and Cybermen mod.

Embark near Dalek civ.

Survive while keeping your fortress open to outsiders.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2]