Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simcity 4 and stuff.  (Read 1106 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Simcity 4 and stuff.
« on: June 15, 2014, 04:05:13 pm »

Alright so, normally I'd think I should dig around for a topic to ask this in but then I realized I got some pretty damn specific questions. Anyway...

I've been getting that itch to go play simcity again. And I'm in the situation where I can actually play most of the games outside of the new one with either some or minimal effort. But I've decided I'm gonna play the fourth one since I like the whole region thing and I'd love to eventually make a big growing region to admire.

Anyway, I know most people use network addon mod to unfuck the game at least. And there's some other good mods like the agricultural one to fix that little broken mechanic. But last time this mood hit I got yanked out of it too fast by somewhat odd circumstances to really get a feel for what else might be missing or need improvement... So what's the general bay12 opinion on modding simcity 4? What addons and bits should I look for?

Also importantly, what's this CAM mod I see everywhere that always seems to be in a few dozen pieces? People seem to love it but I can't exactly find out what it actually is or does.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Simcity 4 and stuff.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 04:06:38 pm »

You might be better off posting this in Other Games instead. I personally haven't played any SimCity past 2000 so I'm not much help. : )

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 04:08:07 pm »

Normally, I would of. But I have just a few questions and no real discussion to offer, so it seemed to fit the board.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 04:25:05 pm »

Fair enough. Good luck! : )

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 04:53:33 pm »

I don't have any specific recommendations but I have this mod list with basic descriptions of the mods bookmarked in case I ever feel like playing, might be a good starting place.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:59:54 pm by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 03:50:05 am »

I always had issues with invisible cars in the Rush Hour expansion U-Drive-It mode. It's pretty fun, but the other cars would always take to long to render (if at all) and I'd suddenly become a flaming pile of wreckage. Anyone else ever have problems with that?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 08:56:29 am »

it also includes many improvements and additions to the existing network tools. roundabouts, turning lanes, intersections, new overpasses, a ground lightrail network, and much more.

this should not make me as happy as it does

Also, I only have the Steam version of this game. Will mods work for that?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 06:15:40 pm »

Modding with steam shouldn't be a problem as long as there is a sim city 4 folder in My Documents/My Games subfolder. Just drop the plugins and go. I haven't played SC4 really since my old computer died (Sim City 3000 however...)

Here is a great source for quality mods: http://www.sc4devotion.com/forums/
I would recommend JBsimbo's mods, rural small town USA, few dependencies and some great custom schools. A street parking/tree mod is good. There also is a custom set of 19th century homes which are really good. I think the author was CP something...

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 09:21:42 am »

Alright so, normally I'd think I should dig around for a topic to ask this in but then I realized I got some pretty damn specific questions. Anyway...

I've been getting that itch to go play simcity again. And I'm in the situation where I can actually play most of the games outside of the new one with either some or minimal effort. But I've decided I'm gonna play the fourth one since I like the whole region thing and I'd love to eventually make a big growing region to admire.

Anyway, I know most people use network addon mod to unfuck the game at least. And there's some other good mods like the agricultural one to fix that little broken mechanic. But last time this mood hit I got yanked out of it too fast by somewhat odd circumstances to really get a feel for what else might be missing or need improvement... So what's the general bay12 opinion on modding simcity 4? What addons and bits should I look for?

Also importantly, what's this CAM mod I see everywhere that always seems to be in a few dozen pieces? People seem to love it but I can't exactly find out what it actually is or does.
CAM extends the growth period of your city into 15 stages from 8 and rewrites how development works trying to get close as realistic. Its fun for those micromanagers. NAM is similar by restructuring the traffic system to the likes of transport sims and such.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 12:48:45 pm »

But CAM precludes SPAM.... yes these are real mod titles. CAM2.0 is still in beta :/
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 02:17:38 pm »

I will suggest that you MIGHT also want to download a map that is already populated with cities. Since one annoying thing in the game is it limits your city size (well potential city size) based on the surroundings.