Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49

Author Topic: The Heresy of Achilles VII: 40k: Only War Planning and OOC  (Read 40046 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
The Heresy of Achilles VII: 40k: Only War Planning and OOC
« on: June 15, 2014, 02:30:08 pm »

Having over the past year or so familiarized myself with the Warhammer 40000 franchise, and having more free time during the summer break, I've been considering revisiting the Only War RPG system originally introduced to me by bdthemag. For those of you not familiar, Only War is centered around designing and playing a squad of Guardsmen in an Imperial regiment, trying to accomplish objectives in the grimdark universe and not die to inevitably superior foes. Anyone interested in the setting up of a campaign?
Players:
Spoiler: Atlal, Smooth Operator (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Darrien Ariovistus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-smurfingtonthethird
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cuicxla Etslari (click to show/hide)

Waitlist:
-Doomblade187
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:05:25 pm by Remuthra »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check- 40k: Only War
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »

I might be, yes. I'm somewhat familiar with 40k. What's the Only War system like?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:33:58 pm »

I'm interested.
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 02:36:36 pm »

I might be, yes. I'm somewhat familiar with 40k. What's the Only War system like?
Major features include dying a lot due to being based on some of the cheapest troops in the franchise, a system for trying to deal with the bureaucracy and secure supplies, the lack of personal equipment, and the ability to design a regiment and homeworld with a specific attack style (Line infantry, mechanized troops, walkers, rough riders, paratroopers, the works). If you really want to get a feel for it I suggest you acquire the rulebook and the Hammer of the Emperor expansion.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 02:38:39 pm »

Potentially interested; are you thinking IRC-based, or Play by Post? I'm not so much a fan of IRC, but I guess it's good for faster-paced. I've got the rulebook, anyway, so that front is fine.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 02:42:19 pm »

I would use IRC, as it does wonders for actually getting things done (I just hosted an individual session on it for getting someone back with a party on PbP, and managed in a few hours to do more than in the entire thread.), but because of erratic schedules and timezones, it shall be thread-based unless the players can work something out.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 02:44:05 pm »

ALL OF MY YES. I request a position in your royal force, Sir! May the Emperor's light shine upon you!
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 04:19:27 pm »

Well, significant enough interest has been shown, so I think the planning may begin. With that in mind, player slots are certainly open, but commence designing the regiment history, I suppose?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 04:22:05 pm »

How would I go about procuring one of those rulebooks? I fell I'll have a lot of reading tonight.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 04:25:57 pm »

You would purchase it from a legal game store or chain bookseller for a large sum, of course, and most certainly not borrow it for the purposes of the campaign from any number of anonymous non-torrent download sites online.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 04:40:00 pm »

Tiny problem with that. None of my bookstores carry RPG books. Closest thing they have is the Fighting Fantasy books.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 04:48:51 pm »

Standard recruitment procedures apply, by the way. This shall be starting with the default characteristic rolling and experience values.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 06:30:11 pm »

In the Emperor's name, let none survive! Forward, to glorious victory!

Tiny problem with that. None of my bookstores carry RPG books. Closest thing they have is the Fighting Fantasy books.
FFG.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: 40k: Only War Planning and OOC (Players still accepted)
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 06:41:07 pm »

This sounds really fun. Put me down as a possible.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40k: Only War Planning and OOC (Players still accepted)
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 05:20:23 am »

Warhammer rpg? This might turn out good ! Count me in, and let me try aqquire a book
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49