Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Sol Zero - Mars Colonization Simulator  (Read 11666 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sol Zero - Mars Colonization Simulator
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 07:47:43 pm »

Hmm I'm tempted as I love this kinda game and I'm keen to show support by buying. If you were being brutally honest, does it look like something that'll turn itself around? I mean, is it just one or two buggy systems or is it just going in completely the wrong direction?

I think it must be hard with these kinda games, a 'realistic' space colonization simulator would probably be quite dull (with most planets just being barren rocks an all) so I can see why you'd need to build some hazards in that aren't just equipment failure (which is horribly annoying when it's just random) or oxygen leaks.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 12:41:36 am »

Dust storms destroying things? Nope, not buying.

What's wrong with dust storms?
I think it's the fact that they can destroy buildings. In reality, all they do is get dust into things (Even airtight stuff. It's EXTREMELY fine.) and block off solar panels. They'd take a good number of years to do anything more than scratch the paint of a building.

Oh, I thought it would do something !!fun!! like messing with your electrical systems and slowly poison your astronauts via silicosis...
DF Mars mod? FUND IT!
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 07:54:08 am »

Honestly there no reason for the rts mechanics on this game, they just add clicks.
At heart, it's like these browser games where you upgrade and add various buildings to improve your resource/day scores.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 11:09:32 am »

Well just ptw for now

Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 11:39:16 am »

I think it's the fact that they can destroy buildings. In reality, all they do is get dust into things (Even airtight stuff. It's EXTREMELY fine.) and block off solar panels. They'd take a good number of years to do anything more than scratch the paint of a building.

Oh, I thought it would do something !!fun!! like messing with your electrical systems and slowly poison your astronauts via silicosis...
DF Mars mod? FUND IT!
Now i want it... damn you....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 11:46:24 am »

a 'realistic' space colonization simulator would probably be quite dull
That's what Mars Simulation Project is for:
http://mars-sim.sourceforge.net/

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 04:43:45 pm »

DF Mars mod? FUND IT!
Now i want it... damn you....

I've been working on... something but I'm sort of inexperienced at this whole programming thing and it isn't at a point to start showing off.
Signature goes here.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 04:51:00 pm »

a 'realistic' space colonization simulator would probably be quite dull
That's what Mars Simulation Project is for:
http://mars-sim.sourceforge.net/
The interface almost looks like Aurora.*
Also it's somehow managed to remain in development for this long despite having basically no presence. I've never heard of it anyway, and I suspect that most people here haven't. Some people must be really dedicated to seeing this dream realised.

*that's not a bad thing
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 06:08:36 pm »

Just had a go with the Mars Simulation Project - it looks pretty good but I'm kinda unsure what to do with it. It does seem more of a 'simulation' rather than a game. Everything is automated although you can poke various things in directions you want, choose missions, assign research projects. I'm not sure if I've got the hang of everything though, and it may be more or less hands on than I think it is.

Interface is 90's, but pretty usable.

The development seems to have kept going but in rather small chunks it seems (which is still great). I imagine that it'd appeal to A LOT more people these days (with the popularity of survival/RL games) and that they'd be able to get a lot more assistance.

Should I/we start a new topic - I don't want to derail this one?

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 02:20:00 pm »

may as well...can't hurt

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 02:25:46 pm »

Last thread was in 2011 and really the main problem with MSP is that it's not a game. There's nothing interesting to do besides watch it unfold for a while and then never play it again, so there's nothing to discuss. Hopefully Sol Zero turns out to be fun.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 05:45:45 pm »

I would absolutely love for this to be tied in with Kerbal Space Program.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 09:46:25 am »

Last thread was in 2011 and really the main problem with MSP is that it's not a game. There's nothing interesting to do besides watch it unfold for a while and then never play it again, so there's nothing to discuss. Hopefully Sol Zero turns out to be fun.

Yeah I've come to the same conclusion really, it seems to be very much a true simulator instead of game although I imagine you could take control of everything if you really wanted to. It's worth a look at for anyone interested, but probably not something that'll captivate you for hours on end.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 07:00:30 pm »

So, why is Sol Zero called Sol Zero?
Because that's not a very accurate notation of where Mars is. In fact it's not an accurate notation of where any planet is (unless you start counting at 0 like what computers do).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 07:31:46 pm »

Possibly because it's going to branch out to other planets? It seems a little bit that way from the blurb.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4