Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 364532 times)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #480 on: February 19, 2016, 12:08:40 am »

There is a certain... warhammer-ish sense of doom isn't there?

and what happened exactly to Kadol Worklimb - did he dig into lava and set himself on fire? 
hamster cheese supplies are low

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 19, 2016, 12:49:16 am »

and what happened exactly to Kadol Worklimb - did he dig into lava and set himself on fire?

That's right.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 19, 2016, 03:32:56 am »

>Sends Kadol Worklimb to dig up adamantine
>Titles next chapter "The Death of Kadol Worklimb"
That was a mean trick. :P

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 19, 2016, 01:19:07 pm »

>Sends Kadol Worklimb to dig up adamantine
>Titles next chapter "The Death of Kadol Worklimb"
That was a mean trick. :P

Ha! Yes, yes it was.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 19, 2016, 08:44:23 pm »

I just finished reading most of this story.
I can't believe Rith died so easily!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 28, 2016, 07:02:22 pm »

Just finished reading through the entire thread from the beginning. Now I'm hooked. 
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 04, 2016, 08:22:46 am »

I've been reading this thread from the time when there were 12 chapters or so.
I've tried other stories, but never bothered to read them to the end.
This gory, haunted masterpiece is created on our very eyes, still as beautiful as it was on early chapters. In a slow and deadly pace to disaster, which will struck once, but has not happened yet.
I am thankful to DS for this wonderful experience of clinging-to-the-edge of god forsaken, gruesome glacier for 14+ years (if i'm not mistaken).
This reminds me in some way about the story of Balin Fundinul from Middle Earth, who ventured to reclaim Moria with a company of dwarves and they all were killed by orcs slightly after. But this story has zombies, and everything is better with zombies, right? Not to mention forgotten beasts, adamantine pumps with LAVA (mmm, crispy) and most of all - one of the greatest art of storytelling i've ever read.
It was, is and will be a pleasure to read. Thank you, DS.

P.S. I would love to see some StoneSense screenshots or gifs, if it started working.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2016, 06:54:03 pm »

Chapter 58 is up!

I just finished reading most of this story.
I can't believe Rith died so easily!

Entirely on accident, no less.

It was, is and will be a pleasure to read. Thank you, DS.

P.S. I would love to see some StoneSense screenshots or gifs, if it started working.

Thank you, and you're welcome! Also, I've been having problems with stonesense for a while - ever since I was forced to change laptops.

Which, coincidentally, has now happened for a third time. Fortunately, this time it's because I have gotten a new computer which is actually in working condition. I haven't tried to use stonesense yet, but I'll consider it as an option for future chapters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2016, 07:15:14 pm »

Ah yes, now the question of whether or not this is actually a success or another opportunity for the glacier to sit and laugh a cold silent chuckle if nobody ever comes to trade again.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2016, 07:20:48 pm »

Amazing chapter. Hoping that a trade caravan does show up, and that nothing goes wrong.
What am I saying? Of course something'll go wrong. It's Roomcarnage.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 08, 2016, 12:54:37 am »

This reminds me of the history of the Byzantine Empire. I know how it's going to end, but watching it pulling out increasingly difficult, increasingly insignificant victories, as everything slowly crumbles, is very powerful. This is a great story, DS.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 09, 2016, 03:02:27 am »

Can't wait for the next chapter.
This is truly an amazing work of art, meancing with spikes of horror and encrusted with shining writing!
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 11, 2016, 12:09:11 am »

This reminds me of the history of the Byzantine Empire. I know how it's going to end, but watching it pulling out increasingly difficult, increasingly insignificant victories, as everything slowly crumbles, is very powerful. This is a great story, DS.

Very different situation, yet the analogy is quite sound.  Well said.

I'm glad for a "victory" this time, we will see if it becomes a "true" victory. 
hamster cheese supplies are low

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 10, 2016, 04:27:47 pm »

Dear DS. I  hope no undead creature has taken you away. I hope you are okay. Please be well and have fun. Thank you for your amazing story.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 11, 2016, 12:34:28 pm »

Thanks! I really appreciate the well-wishes - but I am doing great! I've just been exceptionally busy these past couple months with the school play.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44