Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 367609 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2015, 01:03:17 am »

Roomcarnage, where a mayor can run a successful campain based on ''Being physically in the fortress and not conspiring to murder everyone horribly''

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2015, 01:35:28 am »

jeeeebus, what an update!!  :o
hamster cheese supplies are low

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 13, 2015, 05:09:34 am »

Thanks for the amazing and captivating pair of chapters! This story is even more interesting, than a story of me rising six black dragon pets in slash'em! Glad to hear that your laptop is working again, too. I think that a laptop can't be a zombie because it was never a living thing, so it's a golem. Although a powerful necromancer could rise a small dinosaur flesh zombie from plastic parts, i guess.

So, do you think that there is a possibility of the contamination? To die after carrying the vampire seed to a living dwarf would be a stylish death for the vampire.

Also, where did the ghost companion fo Rith go? I can't see it on the last images...

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2015, 05:14:20 am »

Oh, and do you know that there is already Rith the Vampire Lord in the other story?

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 14, 2015, 05:39:17 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
was hilariously anticlimatic.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2015, 08:15:31 am »

was hilariously anticlimatic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2015, 08:23:57 am »

Oh, and do you know that there is already Rith the Vampire Lord in the other story?

Jebus

Last night I was playing and I had a wraith show up.  As you may know they are skeletal looking figure that flit around somewhat rapidly, going up and down Z levels, meaning they appear only for a brief moment.  I had never seen one before.  And for some reason, there was a bit of a delay before he showed up on the Unit "other" list. 

So after seeing this, and not seeing anything on the U screen, my first thought was "holly crap, roomcarnage infected my computer!!!"

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2015, 10:55:19 pm »

So, do you think that there is a possibility of the contamination? To die after carrying the vampire seed to a living dwarf would be a stylish death for the vampire.

Also, where did the ghost companion fo Rith go? I can't see it on the last images...

I doubt there's going to be any risk of vampiric contamination. As cool as that would be, Rith was annihilated. There's nothing left. The curse of vampirism is transmitted via blood consumption, so it's safe to say that the rest of the fort is safe.

Also, the ex-mayor's ghost companion is still around, but has taken to haunting other people. I'll elaborate more on that in the next chapter.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Sherlock70

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2015, 02:52:57 am »

All true, unless that door opening entity is a thus far undiscovered vampire...

*Goosebumpy greetings*
Sherlock

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2015, 03:04:01 am »

The think with vampires, is that nobody has entered the fort in about 7 years, and they tent to leave blood-drained bodies. You have more chances of discovering a stowaway unicorn than a secret vampire after so long.

Now ghosts on the other hand...

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2015, 05:14:04 pm »

The think with vampires, is that nobody has entered the fort in about 7 years, and they tent to leave blood-drained bodies. You have more chances of discovering a stowaway unicorn than a secret vampire after so long.

Now ghosts on the other hand...

Yeah, it's definitely ghosts. Not to spoil anything, but I managed to capture a ghost in the act of unlocking a door, and got it on .gif as evidence. It'll be in the next chapter... along with a lot of other stuff. Oh man, this next chapter is a crazy one.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2015, 10:00:55 pm »

I felt like cheering when I realized she was walking across bridges ordered shut not moments before... CLAPBOOM!

Fucking awesome story man, pardon the language, but it's needed for punctuation.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2015, 11:31:56 am »

It was pretty dramatic too, it seemed as if the vampire was crushed between two giant clapping hands - the crafts of the dwarves are potent indeed.

I re-read it to see what "mistake" led to Rith almost entering the fortress, and I see there were none - it's the door unlocker that did it (the ghost).  The timing to kill Rith was exquisite - I think what saved you is that Rith was so sluggish to the years without blood.  Had Rith been moving at normal speed...

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 18, 2015, 12:14:39 am »

It was pretty dramatic too, it seemed as if the vampire was crushed between two giant clapping hands - the crafts of the dwarves are potent indeed.

I re-read it to see what "mistake" led to Rith almost entering the fortress, and I see there were none - it's the door unlocker that did it (the ghost).  The timing to kill Rith was exquisite - I think what saved you is that Rith was so sluggish to the years without blood.  Had Rith been moving at normal speed...

It's kinda funny really, to concoct such an elaborate heist over such a long time, trying to find an entrance and then just as the crucial window of opportunity arrives to simply die from sluggish thirst. Of course the other, less subtle side of the coin is still at large, fog zombies are not an easy kill.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2015, 11:19:43 pm »

Chapter 44 has been posted!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44