Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 367613 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #240 on: December 31, 2014, 07:54:03 pm »

Chapter 41 is up! For those inquiring about the persistence of the nothing, you might find an answer in image 53 of this set.

Thanks for reading!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 01, 2015, 11:07:46 pm »

Chapter 41 is up! For those inquiring about the persistence of the nothing, you might find an answer in image 53 of this set.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the update! It's impressive the fort has lasted this long and whats more it hasn't stagnated. Every update is captivating and well written.

It would be great if merchants actually got back to the mountainhomes with stories of Roomcarnage, still alive after this past decade. If you fall before then what are people to say of the place? 'There was once a bunch of crazy dwarfs and migrants who went to the haunted volcano and probably died, we never saw it, the end' isn't a tale that would be passed on through the ages. You gotta sell them commemorative Rith Craftportent figurines and Foul Fog In a Jar and the famous 'Oh Gods Not More Muchrooms Stew' special dish.

If I were back at the mountainhomes I would think the merchants were lieing about this place.
'Yeah sure they all live in the featureless glacial haunted cursed volcano with no fuel or food supplies or iron with a vampire mayor, a likely story. Next you're gonna tell me they got a big gun that shoots magma, Hah!'
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 01, 2015, 11:37:42 pm »

'Yeah sure they all live in the featureless glacial haunted cursed volcano with no fuel or food supplies or iron with a vampire mayor, a likely story. Next you're gonna tell me they got a big gun that shoots magma, Hah!'

Merchant: "But, but, but........"

(Awkward moment)

Mr. Compassionate:"They have a big gun that shoots magma."
Merchant:".....Yes"

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 02, 2015, 12:12:36 am »

You can tell this place is safe because they build toys for their children out of glass, because glass is a safe thing when shattered and kids never break anything

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 02, 2015, 11:34:43 am »

Man, DS. Why is it that you seem to attract glitches like a flame attracts unfortunate moths?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 02, 2015, 12:31:34 pm »

No idea man. Although I discovered the source of the graphical glitches - GifCam has a built-in green screen mechanic that allows for some cool tricks. If it's not disabled, then all of the bright green bits of a .gif will just carry over the pixels from the previous frame, which is what was causing the issues in this last chapter. It's fixed now, mercifully.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 03, 2015, 07:42:05 am »

My original laptop - the one upon which I recorded Weatherwires, and the first part of Roomcarnage, which was torn apart by the pressure of its own screen's hinges around chapter ten - has been resurrected! It lives again, and I am able to continue the story unhindered.
This story itself, like fortress, endures.

One comment: if something unlocks doors, I would dispose rest of corpses in fortress under controlled circumstances (military moved here, unlock, rekill corpse, dispose, repeat for another room with undead). Otherwise it could get ugly.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 03, 2015, 04:03:27 pm »

Those locks opening... I am by no means an expert on dwarf fortress but besides ghosts and tantruming dwarves, the only thing I can think of would be gremlins, or perhaps kobolds? 

But yes, I think you will need to take some  more drastic measures regarding those corpses in those rooms.  Perhaps walling in part of the hospital would be quicker/easier?

Really looking forward to see if contact will be re-established with the outside world :)
hamster cheese supplies are low

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2015, 08:41:17 pm »

Chapter forty-two has been posted! Thanks to everyone who has been reading the story thus far - many of you will recognize how big a landmark a certain event in this chapter is. Enjoy!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2015, 10:57:38 pm »

Roomcarnage dwarf to Trader:

"Trade? I'm afraid that word isn't part of my dictionary."

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 10, 2015, 11:55:40 pm »

Hooray! Trade!

... what's next, now that you've conquered the surface?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 11, 2015, 12:15:34 am »

... what's next, now that you've conquered the surface?

Candy...

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2015, 01:13:25 am »

I have to say, I actually smiled when I saw the animated gif of all the dwarves with their bins.  Can you imagine the feast they will have after all this time?

Were you able to buy metal items for melting and re-use?  I find anvils pretty good for this.
hamster cheese supplies are low

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2015, 04:01:40 pm »

I didn't purchase any metal besides raw bars. In retrospect, I certainly could have gotten more in the trade, but at the time I was too excited, on account of actually seeing the trade screen for the first time in nine years.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2015, 12:21:06 am »

Chapter 43 has been posted. This one felt a little rushed, so I apologize for any inconsistencies or inadequacies - but I wanted to get it done soon, for various reasons. I hope you enjoy it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44