Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 364437 times)

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #510 on: May 12, 2016, 08:22:27 am »

Dear respected DS. Dear fellow readers.
Please recommend music that you think will go well with the roomcarnage story.
Thank you.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 12, 2016, 09:46:12 am »

When I am recording/writing, I will sometimes listen to music from World of Warcraft to set the mood. Usually from colder regions - Dragonblight, Dun Morogh, and so on. I haven't played WoW in many years - nearly a decade, now - but the music is excellent as a mood setter.

Of course, that's music for concentration, not for reading.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 12, 2016, 11:15:18 am »

Dear respected DS. Dear fellow readers.
Please recommend music that you think will go well with the roomcarnage story.
Thank you.
This fits the thematic of roomcarnage nicely. Whether you enjoy Rachmaninoff as much as I do is up to you.

https://youtu.be/N10YZ2Sk3Kg

I found the Ost of Castlevania to also fit nicely, Symphony of the night being probably one of the best imo.

The binding of isaac soundtrack also works quite nicely. There are many remixes and instrumentations available, too, based on which feel/ instrument appeal to you.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:16:54 am by Taupe »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 13, 2016, 09:34:26 am »

I reccomend listening to the No More Room in Hell OST. It fits the overall mood for most parts of Roomcarnage.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 16, 2016, 12:55:26 am »

Oh snap! You gotta take an adventurer out there and visit it if this doesn't end well.

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 18, 2016, 09:30:46 am »

Oh snap! You gotta take an adventurer out there and visit it if this doesn't end well.
"If"? more likely, "when". And that sounds like a wonderful idea.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 19, 2016, 07:45:58 pm »

The Dwarves who have settled the Ice Of Ghosts may be the last remnants of Dwarf-kind in the world :o  Now there's a sobering thought, which in itself is pretty scary to any Dwarf.  Good lord, has it really been 3 years?  *Checks OP date* June 14, 2014.  Dude, just... there are no words to describe the amount of awesome contained within this story.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 03, 2016, 11:50:27 pm »

This is the best fortress I've read in years, and while the saga of Roomcarnage appears to have crumbed to its end, it was a hell of a read over these past few days.

It is truly a visage to behold in the mind, a blood-red peak of ice encapsulating the smoldering blood of the earth, piercing violet eyes on those uninhabitable steppes, holding court over a domain of the dead while life persists only far below, hermetically sealed away from every physical threat but forever watched by the ethereal mind that is the Ice of Ghosts.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 04, 2016, 04:43:07 pm »

Is this truly the end? For two years, we have come back time and time again to soak up the amazing story which is Roomcarnage. Over this time, we have seen a multitude of close shaves, a constantly leering vampiric mayor, and a magma-powered doom machine which is surely the envy of most succession forts.

I am sad to see such an amazing fortress to come to an end after surviving for so long. I believe that we are going to remember Roomcarnage for a long, long time.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #519 on: June 04, 2016, 05:01:59 pm »

If this is finished, may we have save?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 04, 2016, 06:38:21 pm »

I'm not sure why you are getting the impression that the story is over - the fortress may be cut off from the rest of the world, perhaps permanently, but the tale will continue so long as the dwarves of the Momentous Dye draw breath.

The current delay is just because I am preoccupied with my day job. The next chapter should be published within a week or two.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 04, 2016, 07:33:12 pm »

Oh. Well good. I wasn't here to get accustomed to your update frequency, so I just assumed it was over due to a month without an update or thread post.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 04, 2016, 07:35:00 pm »

I'm not sure why you are getting the impression that the story is over - the fortress may be cut off from the rest of the world, perhaps permanently, but the tale will continue so long as the dwarves of the Momentous Dye draw breath.

The current delay is just because I am preoccupied with my day job. The next chapter should be published within a week or two.

I kinda implied "the fortress is ending" from what seemed to be a plan to tunnel into hell. But who knows, miracles do happen.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 04, 2016, 07:39:44 pm »

I kinda implied "the fortress is ending" from what seemed to be a plan to tunnel into hell. But who knows, miracles do happen.

Ah, I see. Well, I won't spoil the next chapter for anyone - but I will say that I won't leave anything to be inferred when the end comes.

Oh. Well good. I wasn't here to get accustomed to your update frequency, so I just assumed it was over due to a month without an update or thread post.

Yes, my post rate has been down to 1-2 months for the past couple years. It's not ideal, but it'll have to do for now. Luckily summer is here, so I will have more time to devote to my hobbies, Roomcarnage included.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 11, 2016, 11:01:59 am »

Chapter 60 has been posted.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44