Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 364158 times)

Nunzillor

Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2014, 11:48:35 pm »

Hmm I do think it's true that engulfing the undead in magma won't accomplish much.  However, if you had a marksdwarf squad shoot the undead while they were in the magma, when they died their bodies would be destroyed in the flames, I think.

Foton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2014, 04:27:25 am »

Zombies can be encased in obsidian due to contact of magma and thawing ice.
Actually, drinking magma is completely harmless.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 02:55:58 pm »

Hmm I do think it's true that engulfing the undead in magma won't accomplish much.

Behold, unbeliever! Chapter 22 has been posted.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Nunzillor

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 06:23:30 pm »

Well, I was definitely wrong.  This is awesome.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 06:34:47 pm »

That lava lake plateau stretching out in front of the volcano looks super metal.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 06:37:19 pm »

This story is made of pure win. It menaces with spikes of awesome.

Perhaps in this newly found land you can finally have some above-ground peace and quiet? Build some kind of airlock at the border of the map and have a "safe zone" aboveground.
Or perhaps mine under the plateau something a bit more architecturally orderly fitting of the designation of "mountainhome".

EDIT: You can build an airlock for the caravans, and have a forward guard posted outside that, while relatively safe, can die protecting the fortress without really endangering (this new zone can be cleansed by fire anytime shit hits the fan).

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 07:30:19 pm »

Yeah, I've sort of got plans for the plateau, and for making a "safe" entrance for merchants and the outpost liaison. Rest assured, though, any concept of safety in Roomcarnage is illusion. Nobody is ever safe, and the fortress is truly constantly on the brink of destruction.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 10:03:43 pm »

If you want to use the plateau, you have to dig into it - the surface of it isn`t truly undead-safe. There`s a good chance that it partially covers the biome which occasionally generates foul fog. Reclaiming the surface thus isn`t really an option. However, you can corral all migrants and traders into a single corridor using the weapon`s landmass building powers - marksdwarves or atom-smashers in there to keep the numbers of the undead down can then make external threats negligible.

While I`m making suggestions; small graveyards every so often would help dispose of corpses. If there`s always an open coffin within a few tens of tiles of a corpse, a dwarf can haul it there in time to prevent reanimation provided you have nearby idlers. Just a thought as your fortress starts to spread out.

Really enjoying the story! Hope you find the FUN you`re looking for.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 10:14:08 pm »

DS has claimed the title of The Obsidian Blade of Glacial Fury!

You should henceforth dub the reclaimed obsidian land 'Armok's Beard'.

Also, you've been nominated by Nunzillor in The Hall of Fame.. After reading this, I can't help but feel that it is quite deserving- a testament to your efforts in-game and your ability to narrate. Well Done!

Ninja'd:

If you want to use the plateau, you have to dig into it - the surface of it isn`t truly undead-safe. There`s a good chance that it partially covers the biome which occasionally generates foul fog. Reclaiming the surface thus isn`t really an option.

The Foul Fog actually hasn't made a appearance yet, and it's been Five Years. Instead zombies and husks have been dragging it in from off-map thus far, creating deadly slime trails of the stuff.

TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2014, 03:25:29 am »

While I`m making suggestions; small graveyards every so often would help dispose of corpses. If there`s always an open coffin within a few tens of tiles of a corpse, a dwarf can haul it there in time to prevent reanimation provided you have nearby idlers. Just a thought as your fortress starts to spread out.

I'm wary of graveyards and coffins. Dwarves have a habit of selecting the most inconvenient routes or destinations, so there's no guarantee that a dwarf would haul a corpse into the nearest available coffin. Likewise, graveyards do nothing to prevent the biome's reanimating effect. I think I'll be sticking to emergency incineration.

Also, you've been nominated by Nunzillor in The Hall of Fame.. After reading this, I can't help but feel that it is quite deserving- a testament to your efforts in-game and your ability to narrate. Well Done!

Thank you!

If you want to use the plateau, you have to dig into it - the surface of it isn`t truly undead-safe. There`s a good chance that it partially covers the biome which occasionally generates foul fog. Reclaiming the surface thus isn`t really an option.

The Foul Fog actually hasn't made a appearance yet, and it's been Five Years. Instead zombies and husks have been dragging it in from off-map thus far, creating deadly slime trails of the stuff.

That's correct. The foul fog doesn't actually occur on the map - it only appears as a contaminant on the bodies of foul fog zombies that appear on the edge of the map.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2014, 04:14:57 am »

A magma lake in the middle of blood-covered glacier. This is beautiful.

As for foud fog contaminats - you can make a cleaning bathtube at the entrance, where migrants and traders get totally drenched and wash away everything. And if there are zombies, you can either freeze them into ice, or drop into magma that heats the tube. I think I've seen a design of it somewhere...
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2014, 04:47:40 am »

You can always make a system whereby the caravans have to take a looong winding tunnel, with cage or weapon traps at the corners (to catch corner-cutting zombies), with a comparatively very short tunnel for foot traffic that is filled to the brim with weapon or cage traps. Periodically purge the area in front of the entrance with !!MAGMA!! and you should get foul-fog-free immigration and trade. Also marksdwarves.

Ninjaedit: Also the wiki told me not to pour magma over my glacier. Screw you wiki, I want a glorious obsidian plateau with lava pools.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:49:34 am by Skullsploder »
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2014, 09:12:51 pm »

The wiki most likely says that due to the horrendous FPS drop it causes- it would probably freeze most computers, causing a lot of frustratation & lost progress.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 06:13:21 pm »

Chapter 23 has been posted!

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2014, 09:56:07 pm »

Hehehe. Your forts greatest threat at the moment
GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44