Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 367665 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #375 on: June 30, 2015, 03:01:10 pm »

I'm sorry, but, not to take away from roomcarnage, but weatherwires was amazingly good

Weatherwires is a very special story, I think. As a narrative, I believe Roomcarnage is more consistent, and it encompasses the entirety of in-game time, which was part of my aim in writing it. Weatherwires drifts between IC and OOC, and the story begins over 50 years after the fort was founded - a huge portion of the fort's history serves merely as a backdrop, including multiple megaprojects and tantrum spirals.

So, they are quite different stories, and I like both for different reasons.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 07, 2015, 01:37:27 pm »

this fortressed a)failed or b)stiill going?

a) can i have last save?
b)msg me

Still going!

Yes, it's been about a month and a half since my last update. I've been quite busy with work - but hopefully now that the semester is over I'll be able to devote more time to storytelling. The singular reason why there's been such a delay is save corruption - after I finished recording the chapter, and had gotten about halfway through the writing, I discovered that the new save file had been made unusable. As a result, I was forced to revert to a recent autosave - not a huge loss, but I had to trash a sizable portion of my narration, which was pretty disheartening. I still haven't gotten around to re-recording the section of the chapter that needs to be replaced - I'm planning on getting to that soon, though.

So, Gwolfski, I'll include the most recent autosave when I release the next chapter.

Ouch!  That is indeed frustrating... but I hope you can forge ahead.

I must. Roomcarnage is certainly the greatest story I've ever written, and it deserves to be completed. The dwarves of the Momentous Dye have a fate to fulfill, and I will ensure that it eventually befalls them.

I have to say, the "voice" of the narrator is certainly unique here.  It's not just the story of roomcarnage, it's also the story of you playing roomcarnage.  That's quite something to have achieved successfully - I mean I'm sure it would be easy to just do, but to do it *well*... far trickier, and you've done it!   

It's just a small element of what makes this such a good story, but I felt it was worth noting :)
hamster cheese supplies are low

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 08, 2015, 04:52:47 pm »

a) can i have last save?
b)msg me

Still going!

Yes, it's been about a month and a half since my last update. I've been quite busy with work - but hopefully now that the semester is over I'll be able to devote more time to storytelling. The singular reason why there's been such a delay is save corruption - after I finished recording the chapter, and had gotten about halfway through the writing, I discovered that the new save file had been made unusable. As a result, I was forced to revert to a recent autosave - not a huge loss, but I had to trash a sizable portion of my narration, which was pretty disheartening. I still haven't gotten around to re-recording the section of the chapter that needs to be replaced - I'm planning on getting to that soon, though.

So, Gwolfski, I'll include the most recent autosave when I release the next chapter.

I must. Roomcarnage is certainly the greatest story I've ever written, and it deserves to be completed. The dwarves of the Momentous Dye have a fate to fulfill, and I will ensure that it eventually befalls them.

I have to say, the "voice" of the narrator is certainly unique here.  It's not just the story of roomcarnage, it's also the story of you playing roomcarnage.  That's quite something to have achieved successfully - I mean I'm sure it would be easy to just do, but to do it *well*... far trickier, and you've done it!   

It's just a small element of what makes this such a good story, but I felt it was worth noting :)

It's also not overly verbose which I think a lot of DF stories suffer from. DS has done quite a good job at striking a pace and not losing that with tons of text. Even when the story crawls forward for suspense things stay lean and readable without being taxing to the reader.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 10, 2015, 12:45:06 pm »

Is this still ongoing?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 10, 2015, 12:52:08 pm »

Is this still ongoing?

Yes! As a matter of fact, I've set aside some time this afternoon to finish recording the current chapter. There have been... setbacks. And the fact that I record the story on a crippled laptop that was brought back from beyond the veil doesn't make anything easier.

a) can i have last save?
b)msg me

Still going!

It's also not overly verbose which I think a lot of DF stories suffer from. DS has done quite a good job at striking a pace and not losing that with tons of text. Even when the story crawls forward for suspense things stay lean and readable without being taxing to the reader.

Well thanks, you guys!

Also, for those of you who haven't read Weatherwires, I've compiled the story into a single document, which I've posted in the old thread over on the Fortress Mode Discussion board.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 11, 2015, 06:35:57 am »

Oooh :o, a new Roomcarnage chapter! It will be sooooo good to read it :P.
I can sense corridors full of dwarf blood already :-[. Will it be the last chapter :-\?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 11, 2015, 11:54:38 am »

Almost certainly not... but of course, I can't confirm or deny until I've finished recording. ;)

Sherlock70

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 15, 2015, 12:30:10 am »

There have been... setbacks. And the fact that I record the story on a crippled laptop that was brought back from beyond the veil doesn't make anything easier.
Now that just fits into the storyline nicely. Methinks the mayor has meddled with the media.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 15, 2015, 07:57:22 am »

There have been... setbacks. And the fact that I record the story on a crippled laptop that was brought back from beyond the veil doesn't make anything easier.
Now that just fits into the storyline nicely. Methinks the mayor has meddled with the media.

It does seem rather Craftportentous...  I'll see myself out now...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 15, 2015, 10:59:30 am »

It does seem rather Craftportentous...  I'll see myself out now...

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR SELF!! /s actually, that seems rather astute of you. Rith always seemed to be rather buggy. fortunately, it makes for an interesting story. I like how DS is able to turn bugs into part of the story.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 15, 2015, 11:04:41 pm »

U P D A T E  H Y P E
P
D
A
T
E

H
Y
P
E

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 19, 2015, 11:06:35 am »

Holy carp! Chapter 51 is up!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 19, 2015, 02:07:00 pm »

DAMN YOUR KNACK AT CLIFFHANGERS!

A cliffhanger after a cave-in technically... cavehanger?

Amelia is lovely btw.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 22, 2015, 05:30:56 pm »

good update, good plan... but will it work?

hamster cheese supplies are low

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 22, 2015, 06:48:14 pm »

I'm already halfway through recording the next chapter - so only I know for sure one way or the other. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44