Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 367642 times)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #330 on: April 11, 2015, 12:19:26 am »

It may be a bit crude, but it certainly capture the spirit of the thing!
Nobody got a close look of the thing and survived to describe it accurately :p

Exactly!  I mean you're trying to run away but Urist McFatbut is moving at the speed of a slug and he's hogging the hallway, that lyemaker  you secretly despise is hacking out his lungs and part of you doesn't want to miss it, there is dust everywhere, screams... that's a freaking masterpiece under the conditions really.
hamster cheese supplies are low

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 11, 2015, 10:52:36 pm »

I'm now on 45, and still having trouble accepting that a pig tail fiber sock was used to murder nearly 5 creatures alone

On another note I think that the tree growing might be reclaimable. If a chamber can be created and flooded, and become mossy, we'll have a tree farm. I'm not sure how full the well is, but a pump and such could be possible.

Though this brings up something I've been hoping for, which is a magma flood down south. I'm not thinking it likely, but if a deluge southwards is possible, it could help.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 12, 2015, 12:16:30 am »

The new chapter is up! I finished it much more quickly this time, but I'm not sure if the pace is sustainable. We'll see!

I'm now on 45, and still having trouble accepting that a pig tail fiber sock was used to murder nearly 5 creatures alone

On another note I think that the tree growing might be reclaimable. If a chamber can be created and flooded, and become mossy, we'll have a tree farm. I'm not sure how full the well is, but a pump and such could be possible.

Though this brings up something I've been hoping for, which is a magma flood down south. I'm not thinking it likely, but if a deluge southwards is possible, it could help.

Yeah, that sock was deadly. As for the tree farm, I might be able to reclaim the actual chamber itself - but it's not a pressing issue. The fort has enough wood to last for years.

As for the magma flood, I've been wanting to do one for years, but the weapon is currently behind enemy lines, so to speak... so it makes things difficult.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 12, 2015, 04:34:23 am »

I wonder if Dumat Sensesstakes is a part of the reason for the unusual liaison behaviours...
Nice update. That looks like a nice panic room if the need ever arises. 

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 12, 2015, 06:06:22 am »

Huh, funny you did that just when I had the weirdest thing I've ever seen, adventurer or fortress mode included, which involved my punting a bandit captain into a hole in the floor of a troll pit under a dark fortress. She fell through into a cavern layer as expected, but it was flood and draining through a 2x2 hole, which she also fell through... but I've only got 1 cavern layer on this map so I expected her to sploosh into magma... instead I find her laying there surrounded by mist, probably enjoying a lovely waterfall... in a puddle of magma on a magma flow tile.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't try to use a water drain system to purge your next overly clingy outpost liason, of which I am sure there will be another.

Very sure.

See ya around.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 12, 2015, 11:28:30 pm »

Once again, the fortress has lost the ability to calculate the total wealth of the fortress - the last broker was slain by Simo Veiledsins the Obscure Terrors in the beast's recent attack. I'm beginning to think that the position of broker in the Momentous Dye is cursed

As opposed to, say, the rest of the place as a whole.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 12, 2015, 11:29:18 pm »

I did not expect the liaison to go down so easily... could the room be use for undead dumping now? If so nice work.

I also didn't expect an update so soon, but I'm not complaining :D

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 13, 2015, 12:15:38 am »

Just thought something about how so many dwarves are missing when a sane person would have realized they're dead...

The dwarves of Roomcarnage are optimistic. That's why they bothered to come live on the Oily Furnace in the first place. They know that they managed to seal themselves in; how do they know some of the 'missing' didn't do the same in some other corner of the twisted nightmare that is Roomcarnage's Floor Plan?
I like to think of their evacuation as chaotic. Everyone started throwing up walls. Many had to be torn down later when they realized that the every-growing 'safe zone' had totally engulfed a room that may or may not have had survivors, but demonstrably didn't have any undead.

For all the dwarves of Roomcarnage know, dozens of their comrades managed to seal off yet more rooms that were never reconnected with the fortress. Some of the more optimistic might even think that instead of starving to death, the residents of these rooms somehow managed to link up and set up another source of food. They're hoping that one day they'll be digging outside of Roomcarnage's floor plan and breach a tunnel these dwarves dug, and their civilizations will be reunited.

Anyone who realizes the folly of believing that somehow a new food/booze source was constructed in what few rooms conceivably could have been barricaded by their inhabitants keep quite. This fiction is easier to stomache than the reality that their friends and neibours roam their former homes forever in a twisted, frozen parody of life.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 13, 2015, 05:01:38 pm »

Fascinating, saw this in the general df board and while the glacier didn't quite bubble as accurately due to obsidian losing essentially all of the elastic traits, the overall effect was surprisingly plausible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSmPqqZB3Q

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 13, 2015, 07:15:26 pm »

MDF - that's a pretty sound analysis.  And it would make the "tantrum spiral" that could erupt more "realistic" - these dwarves are in profound denial.  Should the truth be revealed, their minds would snap.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 14, 2015, 07:26:01 pm »

Fantastic update as always!

I get the feeling the reoccuring glitch with the outpost liasons isn't going to end here. It'll probably just end up being one of the many, many curses this place is remembered for. Hopefully you can still trade enough to become the mountainhome.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

ninjatwitch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 15, 2015, 12:48:52 am »

I'm reminded of this...

A few weeks later, this message pops up. I get the feeling that this may become a common message in this fortress.

http://imgur.com/a/pQq7O#UQdc6xN

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 28, 2015, 02:43:58 am »

Whew! Chapter 50 is up! Enjoy the read!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 28, 2015, 05:42:17 am »

Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 28, 2015, 06:26:45 am »

Gotta love the sinister twists you add in. "She is patient. She will wait."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44