Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 367573 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2014, 05:55:35 pm »

That which we call a dwarf by any other name would smell as shite.

Also, Leaderfailure. Holy hell.
くコ:彡

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2014, 06:36:21 pm »

Ah yes, forgot about the lack of Flux.  Still, you could get lucky and find some alternative rock candy;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2014, 10:22:23 pm »

This has been an astounding read.  Bravo sir, Bravo.

I wonder if we will ever figure out what that "empty" spot was...
hamster cheese supplies are low

Sherlock70

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 14, 2014, 03:44:56 am »

Perhaps the Toady One could enlighten us...

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2014, 07:26:43 pm »

Ah yes, forgot about the lack of Flux.  Still, you could get lucky and find some alternative rock candy;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Again, negative: there are only two metal ores beneath Roomcarnage. For now, copper will have to suffice, at least until I get the nerve to dig deeper once again.

This has been an astounding read.  Bravo sir, Bravo.

Thank you! I'm glad folks are enjoying it.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2014, 06:38:04 am »

Perhaps the Toady One could enlighten us...
Not even Toady can save you from the Nothing.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2014, 09:32:06 am »

Impressive work.  I will definitely take notes for my next fortress from you.  Bravo!
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 22, 2014, 01:27:52 am »

I hope your notes will start with ''don't build a fortress in the 7th layer of hell''

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2014, 09:33:22 am »

I hope your notes will start with ''don't build a fortress in the 7th layer of hell''

More like where hell freezes over...

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2014, 09:15:20 pm »

Hellish survival guides aside, I think the balsiest and most stubborn people here aren't in fact the people of roomcarnage, but the traders themselves. Keep in mind, the citizens of the oily furnace are kind of stuck there, and they didnt know about the undeath and the foul fog and the raining frozen blood when they arrived. now they keep living there because going out is a no-no.

The caravaneers, tho... it's been over a decade, and each year a bunch of dudes cross the world to reach the sight of this cursed volcano. As far as the main civilisation is concerned, nobody has ever made it back, except for maybe one or two traders who survived the encounter and ran back, only to report that the place is a hellhole populated only by a swarm of bloodthirsty abomination. They have seen or heard about exactly zero living dwarf there, and still, year after year, someone says ''yes, I will make the journey of a lifetime to this forsaken place, hoping against all hope that living people will have mysteriously settled there when i make it''. Nevermind the fact that, to any outsider, the area is not only cursed, but home to a super-active volcano that spurs a flood of death in random directions twice a year.

The economy of the main nation must fucking suck, for them to organise trade dispatches to the Ice of Ghosts every year.

Foton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2014, 04:44:29 am »

I think that dwarves would need more soldiers to successfully reclaim part of the surface. Something like 4-5 squads.
Actually, drinking magma is completely harmless.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2014, 12:28:10 am »

I think a good magma scouring first is the way to go, honestly...

Looking forward to the next entry

Edit:  go vote for this fortress!   http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89305.0 :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:32:07 am by Ancalagon_TB »
hamster cheese supplies are low

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2014, 11:29:24 am »

Hellish survival guides aside, I think the balsiest and most stubborn people here aren't in fact the people of roomcarnage, but the traders themselves. Keep in mind, the citizens of the oily furnace are kind of stuck there, and they didnt know about the undeath and the foul fog and the raining frozen blood when they arrived. now they keep living there because going out is a no-no.

The caravaneers, tho... it's been over a decade, and each year a bunch of dudes cross the world to reach the sight of this cursed volcano. As far as the main civilisation is concerned, nobody has ever made it back, except for maybe one or two traders who survived the encounter and ran back, only to report that the place is a hellhole populated only by a swarm of bloodthirsty abomination. They have seen or heard about exactly zero living dwarf there, and still, year after year, someone says ''yes, I will make the journey of a lifetime to this forsaken place, hoping against all hope that living people will have mysteriously settled there when i make it''. Nevermind the fact that, to any outsider, the area is not only cursed, but home to a super-active volcano that spurs a flood of death in random directions twice a year.

The economy of the main nation must fucking suck, for them to organise trade dispatches to the Ice of Ghosts every year.

That or the mountain home king is a total jerk.

"Go FORTH and trade with Roomcarnages"
"But sire, everyone there is likely dead, undead crawl over every inch of the glacier for miles in every direction, all advanced scouts report seeing nothing except a torrent of magma erupting from below and we're pretty sure the only thing anyone there could possibly have to trade are plump helmets which we have in abundance"
"GO FORTH I require more plump helmets"

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2014, 04:06:06 pm »

"GO FORTH I require more plump helmets"

Who are you to criticize the king, a fucking republic or something6 Pack your winter coat and get moving!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2014, 06:22:19 pm »

I think that dwarves would need more soldiers to successfully reclaim part of the surface. Something like 4-5 squads.

It really depends. You need enough to deanimate corpses and stand guard over them until they're disposed of. So, if you plan your setup right (luring undead to you a few at a time, very close to a pre-dug corpse disposal shaft with haulers waiting on standby) you can potentially get away with only using 1-2 squads.
Of course, if DS wanted, he could just dig a pit, make a bridge-entrance to the fort over the pit, and retract the bridge while the undead cross, dumping them all into a pit and clearing the surface that way. But he doesn't seem to want to.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44