Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 364510 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2014, 12:04:07 am »

Wow, three FBs in less than a full season. Do you know their specific arrival dates? You may have broken a record.

It seems that Roomcarnage gets this a lot — no forgotten beasts for a while and then several at once. Perhaps it has to do with crossing wealth or population thresholds against which FB attacks are queued?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2014, 12:50:07 pm »

Wow, three FBs in less than a full season. Do you know their specific arrival dates? You may have broken a record.

It seems that Roomcarnage gets this a lot — no forgotten beasts for a while and then several at once. Perhaps it has to do with crossing wealth or population thresholds against which FB attacks are queued?
In that case, I would think it would result in no fb attacks ever, considering that i don't think Roomcarnage has exported any goods.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2014, 04:46:40 pm »

I had to stop lurking to say that I've been reading for about a month and am completely hooked.  Your writing has only improved over time; by this point I would classify Roomcarnage as a straight-up horror story.  I can't wait to find out what happens next c:

mcfrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2014, 09:17:32 am »

I can't stop to wait anxiously for the new chapter. This is my first experience with DF, and i find it amazing.
Have you thought about spicing the forgotten beasts up with a nice isometric rendering? I liked it very much, but you seem to stop using it in later chapters...

primalucem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cursespoke
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2014, 02:21:18 pm »

This is a remarkable story. Great job.

I can't wait to see how it (inevitably) ends.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2014, 12:37:05 am »

I can't stop to wait anxiously for the new chapter. This is my first experience with DF, and i find it amazing.
Have you thought about spicing the forgotten beasts up with a nice isometric rendering? I liked it very much, but you seem to stop using it in later chapters...

Unfortunately, I've been having trouble using Stonesense (the isometric renderer) for some time. The in-game descriptions will have to work for now!

Thanks for all the praise, everyone! Chapter 36 is up.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Mchl

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I'm having lots of fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2014, 03:00:55 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2014, 09:27:08 am »

Amazing story as usual. Hopefully, you are able to flood the entire world and trade at least once before you lose the fortress. Also, I have a theory on Rith...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2014, 01:08:04 pm »

It's an interesting theory! I'm leaving it completely open to interpretation at this point... I think it's more entertaining to see what readers are thinking up regarding the oddest events in the story so far.

Chapter 37 has been posted!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2014, 06:27:37 pm »

Brilliant little story :D  I wonder, with the way the Caverns are sealed off, could you possible tunnel near one of the edges and bypass the accumulation of zombie FBs?  Maybe even get some Steel going.  Also query; how are you dealing with the 'same old food/booze' thoughts?  I was under the impression that those in particular were cumulative.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2014, 07:07:00 pm »

Maybe even get some Steel going.

That'd be difficult without iron or goblinite.  :P Hopefully he does have some flux and can buy out all the iron/steel goods in the trade caravan.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2014, 08:04:15 pm »

How do you plan on letting caravans through? Airlocks? Trap corridors?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2014, 03:18:07 am »

Brilliant little story :D  I wonder, with the way the Caverns are sealed off, could you possible tunnel near one of the edges and bypass the accumulation of zombie FBs?  Maybe even get some Steel going.  Also query; how are you dealing with the 'same old food/booze' thoughts?  I was under the impression that those in particular were cumulative.

I don't think it's possible to tunnel to the edges in order to allow the caravans to enter. They seem to appear only at the edges of the map unaffected by the lava flooding.

Steel isn't really a possibility - there's no iron anywhere on the map, and no flux. With no prospect of trade, and no goblins, the dwarves of the Momentous Dye are limited to copper.

I deal with the repetitive food/booze thoughts by processing as many individual varieties of each food/booze product as possible. With no access to surface plants, I'm limited to things that can be made with subterranean plants and any animals that I decide to butcher. That means my dwarves are eating roasts made out of dwarven wheat, dwarven sugar, dwarven syrup and (occasionally) dog meat. Alcohol consists of the familiar dwarven wine/beer/ale/rum. It's been enough so far - any morale problems have been offset by the abundance of engravings/copper statues.

Military action.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2014, 04:45:58 am »

Fantastic.  :D

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2014, 04:41:08 pm »

Military action.

I've seen you use the trap/pit method in previous imgur forts, I suppose you could dig something similar here, but its kind of game-breakingly effective.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44