Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44

Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story  (Read 364408 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Fall of Roomcarnage :: an ongoing Dwarf Fortress story
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2014, 12:55:36 am »

This is really great, both the fortress itself of course, and your storytelling mode with the gifs.  :D

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2014, 11:49:46 am »

Great update, as always. Sympathies on the caravan. All that work! Looking forward to seeing the MELT in action.

It's weird that Rith manages to creep me out the way she does, but there ya go. Logically, I know she's just a bunch of those inexplicable (but Fun) DF quirks packed into a character, but still... What does she know?
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2014, 12:17:35 pm »

My personal guess is that Rith's plan is to find a way into the fortress, followed by immediately organizing a party, going on break, organizing another party, then die in a mining mishap, causing a tantrum spiral.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2014, 12:26:44 pm »

My personal guess is that Rith's plan is to find a way into the fortress, followed by immediately organizing a party, going on break, organizing another party, then die in a mining mishap, causing a tantrum spiral.

Well of course Rith wants to get in, look how she rushed the lava vent when a door was left unlocked. But why is she so helpful otherwise?

It would seem her best strategy would be to not help, wait for a tantrum spiral, and then waltz in through the inevitable broken/sock-jammed door to feed on some tasty unconscious morsels in the hospital.

No, my guess is, Rith will be extremely helpful and assist Roomcarnage to untold wealth and profit. Because Rith has refined tastes. Royal, even. Rith wants to drain a king.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2014, 02:11:55 pm »

Nah, she's a immortal Historian attracted to Fortresses that always seem to end in tragedy.

Roomcarnage was just an obvious candidate.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2014, 09:10:21 pm »

Thanks for the praise you guys! The newest chapter is up, complete with more Rith Craftportent-related oddities. Some really freaky stuff this time, I'm not kidding. Enjoy!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2014, 01:22:20 am »

That went extremely well! Be careful with that water source. If a dwarf somehow falls in, you will have a zombie in your cistern. It happened to me not long ago and caused a fair bit of Fun. 

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2014, 04:05:12 am »

Wow. What a crazy and amazing chapter. It looks like you water source worked like a charm. There's just one thing that puzzles me. Looking at your new hospital, I was wondering why I didn't see any rooms with doors like in the last one.

As for the vampires, I don't think I'm surprised by anything anymore. I had a feeling they would all survive. They always do. But that was crazy. And those eternally burning shriveled up zombies. Now those would be FUN to play with.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2014, 05:45:52 am »

Looking at your new hospital, I was wondering why I didn't see any rooms with doors like in the last one.
In the previous hospital, all rooms were equipped with doors so that when the patient inevitably died of thirst, their corpse wouldn't bother anyone. Now that patients can actually be watered properly it's much less likely that a patient will become a corpse in such short order.
くコ:彡

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2014, 06:10:26 am »

Looking at your new hospital, I was wondering why I didn't see any rooms with doors like in the last one.
In the previous hospital, all rooms were equipped with doors so that when the patient inevitably died of thirst, their corpse wouldn't bother anyone. Now that patients can actually be watered properly it's much less likely that a patient will become a corpse in such short order.
But still possible.
In this surrounding I would keep to separated cells design, and in addition would install Magma Sanitizing Device - when a patient dies, the cell is filled with magma incinerating the corpse with any contaminations, and the cell is ready for the next patient.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:14:30 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2014, 06:17:39 am »

But still possible.
In this surrounding I would keep to separated cells design, and in addition would install Magma Sanitizing Device - when a patient dies, the cell is filled with magma incinerating the corpse with any contaminations, and the cell is ready for the next patient.
Unacceptable waste of lumber. If nether caps were available, maybe, but they are not.
くコ:彡

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2014, 07:13:36 am »

But still possible.
Unacceptable waste of lumber. If nether caps were available, maybe, but they are not.
You would lose the bed anyway when you sealed off the room.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2014, 08:33:56 am »

But still possible.

This. 100% this. You never know when a person could die. And if that happens in the middle of an open and shared hospital, it could be FUN. IMO, there should probably be the ability to seal patients off as a last resort in case of emergency.

I have to say this post made my day. Not only did you know exactly where I was coming from, but magma incinerator options for the rooms would be epic. But they would have to have drainage so the cells would be reusable. And this way, sealed off bodies could be incinerated without the military having to get involved and getting negative thoughts from fighting the dead. It's brilliant.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:35:55 am by Shadow Of Fate »

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2014, 12:47:30 pm »

I was really considering excavating an entirely new hospital for precisely that purpose, but an "open" infirmary reaffirms my intent as overseer to save every single injured dwarf. Including separate rooms, even as a precaution, would imply that I am preparing for someone to die in the hospital. While it's certainly still possible...

Well, let's just say that there are more possibilities for fun this way. As I'm sure some of my astute readers have observed, I don't always go for the safest or most efficient option in any given situation.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2014, 12:54:42 pm »

Well, this is interesting...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44