Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56296 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Feedback needed
« Reply #540 on: October 14, 2014, 05:47:51 pm »

So, where's that free copy I was promised?  >:(

Just kidding, I went and bought it- I look forward to telling you what I think and what bugs/exploits I come across. Take that $13.87* and keep making games with neat ideas and a pro-consumer attitude!

*How much does Steam scrape off the top? I've always been curious.

Thanks for supporting. I will gladly give you a free copy to share with friends in a few weeks when sales slow down. As for Steam's take, we are legally prevented from discussing the specifics of the deal with the public 30 out of a 100 people can find it on the internet by using google.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #541 on: October 14, 2014, 05:52:17 pm »

Buying it now then!

Best of luck with the game :D

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 14, 2014, 09:16:36 pm »

I bought the game.
I bought it because I like simulation/management type games, guns(!!), and hemmingjay. :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #543 on: October 15, 2014, 12:22:03 am »

Wanted to try it out before bed, played for 5 minutes, then save and quit, and this happened :)

I'm too tired to play now though :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 15, 2014, 12:22:55 am »

Same here, but I presume it will be fixed soon enough.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 15, 2014, 12:35:38 am »

As soon as I get a copy and some free time, I'll try to write up a review.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 15, 2014, 02:38:48 am »

Someone named Lucky made a review of the game on the steam page. I'm going to have to agree with him. Really, no pause function?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 15, 2014, 05:04:19 am »

Yeah, the time flow and UI need some work. They are the major blockades on the road to enjoyment.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 15, 2014, 05:50:45 am »

The pause function was debated - on a real market, you don't get any slow-motion or stopping time to think. Still, perhaps it could be added in so that you can examine the data, but not make any deals during the pause.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 15, 2014, 06:09:23 am »

Hemmingjay, I love you bro, but this release is really disappointing.  I know it's Early Access but after two hours I'm not seeing the potential anymore.

Frankly, the interface is horrendous in so many ways.  Click on a country, you'd think that pop-up with the "trade" tab would actually allow you to trade?  Nope, it just shows supply and demand.  (Gotta go to buy/sell on the bottom toolbar, and that only applies to the player's location).  So what to buy?  Assuming you bought intel on buyer countries, you're told *only* the highest offer from the buy window.  Grr... fair enough.  So you buy a load of arms for a short route from Russia to Kazakhstan.  Here's where it gets even worse.  Okay, so I'll click on Kazakhstan, right?  Ok.  Then travel on the popup right?  Unless you want to be frustrated or travel empty, click on private.  Now click on the yacht, and load cargo.  Okay, now a retardly oversized popup that's partially off screen appears.  And for some reason it doesn't know that I want to travel to Kazakhstan, so I have to manually plot to Kazakhstan again.  Here's also where you actually get told what countries want to buy your inventory.  (Wow, you'd think that would have been useful at the buy/sell screen).  Whatever, send that shit.  Hooray!  We made it.  Now try to sell it.  (Don't click on Kazakhstan and then trade, that would make too much sense.)  Click on buy/sell.  WHAT? I have to pick through an inventory of every possible market choice to sell my load?!?  And there's a 'demand' quantity, nobody mentioned before.  (Good thing it's apparently broken and does nothing.)
...and that's supposedly just an easy move.  It get's worse when you're trying longer hauls and multiple vehicles.  Also, a pet peeve of mine, right click does absolutely nothing... a completely wasted UI opportunity.

Lots of other design choices I could go off on: no auto-save, lots of large pretty animations on the UI but they're mostly useless, the map is flat so don't even think of trying to cross the Pacific, the second generated travel quest was unsolvable for me, despite owning multiple vehicles ONLY ONE can move at a time, what's even the point of the player char and his yacht being separate entities?

And being an Alpha, lots of features are still TBD: alignments, quests, adversaries, plot, etc.

Bugs:  Booting up the game, both "full screen" and "windowed" are checked, which was strange and I had to uncheck one.  Also, because the truck sprite is side-profile while every other vehicle sprite is overhead, it moves upside down when westward.

I really wanted to like this game, but I can't honestly recommend it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 06:16:17 am by ConscriptFive »

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 15, 2014, 06:39:14 am »

The pause function was debated - on a real market, you don't get any slow-motion or stopping time to think. Still, perhaps it could be added in so that you can examine the data, but not make any deals during the pause.

I'm fine with no deals, and examining data, but I find it would also be quite nice to plan routes in pause. Or, like Paradox games, there could just be varying levels of time passing to be more fulfilling. From maybe 2:1 realtime to very, very fast. Also, Conscript's post highlights more than a few of my feelings as well.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 15, 2014, 11:07:55 am »

Hemmingjay, I love you bro, but this release is really disappointing.  I know it's Early Access but after two hours I'm not seeing the potential anymore.
Well, since the game is 85% complete all the bugs and annoyances you found make sense to be present. From my point of view the game is currently in a kind of public beta, where all of these things will get addressed.

So... Wait and watch the game get better with each patch and keep in mind that they don't have a large QA department!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 15, 2014, 03:38:56 pm »

I think we are going to have to review the "no pause" rule. I'll be putting a post up an out it on Steam today.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 15, 2014, 03:53:46 pm »

I'm fine with no deals, and examining data, but I find it would also be quite nice to plan routes in pause. Or, like Paradox games, there could just be varying levels of time passing to be more fulfilling. From maybe 2:1 realtime to very, very fast. Also, Conscript's post highlights more than a few of my feelings as well.
Slower time settings would be fine as an alternative to pause, in my opinion.  Time never stops, but at least days don't go by as you click around looking at stuff or while deciding what to buy for dinner.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 15, 2014, 03:59:28 pm »

Here is an interesting article (from one of my favourite game-dev bloggers) that includes a bit of talk about time controls.  It basically sums up to what you are try test as part of the game.  If you are trying to test reactions, then not having time controls makes sense.  If you are trying to test planning/thinking then giving the ability to pause is a good idea.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40