Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56347 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Weapon smuggling tycoon game
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2014, 11:12:46 am »

Thanks Knave. While Canada isn't one of our supplying nations, the C7 and ERYX are both slated to be in the game.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2014, 11:35:02 am »

As far as Israeli weapons go, burningpet pointed to most of the guns I was going to point to, but there are two more handguns that deserve mention (there are a lot of handguns in the world, really... But USA/UK/RU/GER/China will be more long-weapons style, so I guess it shouldn't be all that much of a problem): Jericho 941, which included pretty unique .41 AE barrel (soon to be replaced with .40 S&W, which had very similar characteristics and was more popular due to American origin) and SP-21 Barack; both clones of CZ-75 (and there I go, thinking we won't get any more of these). OK, I have to admit that I just like the name Jericho very, very much, which is one additional reason to put it on my list. ;)

Ah, the good old Viggen... And now I'm going to be sad about lack of combat planes trading. Joking, of course; it would be completely different game. Not necessarly a bad one, but small arms trade seems to be more interesting. :)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2014, 11:57:49 am »

And hearing history giggling, right after Israeli comes Germany with its weaponry; much more than other countries I've written about so far. Some of those are pretty well-known, and some are less popular, but I think all are worth mentioning:

SMGs:
MP-5, obviously (it's almost like Uzi; everybody knows it);
UMP (also quite popular already);
and my personal favourite, MP-7, the PDW chambered for 4.6x30mm HK; light, reliable, with impressive penetration.

ARs:
G36 + AG36 (the second one is a grenade launcher), popular choice, and made with many variants;
HK416 (and HK417, why not), also pretty well known;
G3, ugly, but gets the job done, partly by merits of being chambered for 7.62mm NATO round.

Others:
Rheinmetall MG 3, used from 1960 till now, replacing MG 42 known from WW II with a weapon using standard NATO cartridge;
HK MG 4, LMG and squad support weapon using lighter 5.56mm NATO cartridge;
PSG 1, well known sniper rifle (expensive and sold in small quantities, so I'm not sure about it, really, but it might be a good 'luxury' item);
HK GMG, fully automatic grenade launcher, usually mounted on vehicles.

And that concludes German weaponry, at least for now. I will move on to other activities for some time, but I will be back with rest of countries for sure!
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2014, 12:16:03 pm »

For Swedish vehicles, you could go with some good old Stridsbåt 90. Was featured in Battlefield 4 as the attack boat of the US, even, so it should be recognisable by at least some of the audience. There's also Stridsfordon 90, but I wouldn't say it's immediately recognisable or anything like that.

In addition to the Carl Gustav mentioned earlier you also have the AT4, but I'm sure you know of that considering your earlier comments on Saab Bofors. There's also the AK4 and the AK5 but they're both based on other pre-existing designs (G3 and FN FNC, respectively).

Other than that, it seems we mostly sell grenades and rockets these days in terms of weapons. There are some cool warships, such as the Visby-class corvette or the Gotland-class submarine, but that seems to be out of the game's scope.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2014, 01:15:43 pm »

Quick Question Will we get access to WMDs? I know post-Soviet collapse a few nukes where on the market along with Ballistic Subs, and Saran and Anthrax are produce able to sell.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »

Quick Question Will we get access to WMDs? I know post-Soviet collapse a few nukes where on the market along with Ballistic Subs, and Saran and Anthrax are produce able to sell.

You know, I have this feeling that WMD's are just slightly out of our league here. You're gonna be worrying about a lot more than Interpol, if you're caught selling nukes to people. It would be awesome, yes, but you're gonna need brass balls the size of Texas to smuggle a nuke out of Russia.

Not to mention that the price would probably be beyond the scope of the game. Even if someone was insane enough to try smuggling a nuke through customs ("no officer, that's not a nuke. You see, it's for my aunt. . ."), I doubt s/he would sell it for less than the GDP of Luxemburg (roughly 40 billion, or 10 billion more than the end-goal).

Selling Saran and Anthrax is even more risky and unlikely, (yes, more than nukes). Biological weapons are considered even more dangerous than nukes, and all research, production or stockpiling of them is illegal (which means you're gonna have a hard time getting a hold of it). Only one nation in the world, Iraq, has actually developed Bio-weapons (which they got their asses invaded for), and the rest of the world is extremely paranoid about anyone getting a hold of it (which means everyone is gonna be after you, once they figure out who sold them, which they will).

Smuggling it out isn't even the hard part. You're not gonna find any nation insane enough to buy this from you, although you could sell it to terrorists, as if that would end well. Besides, they probably can't afford it. It might actually be worth it to put it in the game as a suicide button or an alternate ending. People would probably do it just for the challenge, and it would fulfill their lifelong dream of causing WW3 and being hunted for the rest of their lives.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2014, 03:48:00 pm »

Smuggling Bioweapons though is a lot easier to do unnoticed.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2014, 03:58:21 pm »

The soviet Union had a very advanced bioweapon program.

So, you might be able to pick up some discounts there.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2014, 04:10:13 pm »

Selling Saran and Anthrax is even more risky and unlikely, (yes, more than nukes). Biological weapons are considered even more dangerous than nukes, and all research, production or stockpiling of them is illegal (which means you're gonna have a hard time getting a hold of it). Only one nation in the world, Iraq, has actually developed Bio-weapons (which they got their asses invaded for), and the rest of the world is extremely paranoid about anyone getting a hold of it (which means everyone is gonna be after you, once they figure out who sold them, which they will).

Smuggling it out isn't even the hard part. You're not gonna find any nation insane enough to buy this from you, although you could sell it to terrorists, as if that would end well. Besides, they probably can't afford it. It might actually be worth it to put it in the game as a suicide button or an alternate ending. People would probably do it just for the challenge, and it would fulfill their lifelong dream of causing WW3 and being hunted for the rest of their lives.

First, didn't Iraq practically buy the bioweapons from international companies, or rather all the necessary reagents? That would be reasonable within the scope of the game. Second, doesn't ISIS have billions right now? I'm sure they could pay for chemical weapons reagents from unscrupulous international arms dealers.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2014, 04:52:19 pm »

The soviet Union had a very advanced bioweapon program.

So, you might be able to pick up some discounts there.

From what I read, they had "officially" closed the program down. Of course, that still leaves the option that it's still running. It's not a far stretch, that you could get bioweapons from there.

First, didn't Iraq practically buy the bioweapons from international companies, or rather all the necessary reagents? That would be reasonable within the scope of the game. Second, doesn't ISIS have billions right now? I'm sure they could pay for chemical weapons reagents from unscrupulous international arms dealers.

Good point, although I'm not sure if bioweapons require any reagents other than the bacteria/virus itself. I hadn't really thought of ISIS, although they would certainly have the funds for buying a few vials of Anthrax from a particularly unscrupulous arms dealer. (Well, we are the same people who started a commercial mermaid farm, and threw babies into pits full of starving animals to make them into spartans.)

It's still far, far more risky than, say, selling small arms. It would actually create a really fun balance between risk and reward. Do you play it safe and sell relatively harmless small arms and surplus military gear, which is mostly legal, but not really profitable, or do you take the risk with selling the more dangerous stuff like advanced weapons (think about what someone could do with, say, a SAM or a Main Battle Tank), or even risk everything with WMD's like Anthrax, mustard gas or even nukes.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2014, 05:06:42 pm »

Save bioweapons for a possible expansion anyhow. Their mechanics differ from weapon transport anyway.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2014, 08:59:18 pm »

Iraq never had Bio-weapons, they had chemical weapons that they used on the Kurds, Every major Western, Eastern, and Third world nation has a chemical and Bio-weapon program, also there are several companies that produce antrax and other bio-weapons for Defense Research.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2014, 10:11:57 pm »

There are three categories of items for sale; Arms, Vehicles, and Intelligence/Strategic. The third category includes very rare and incredibly expensive one of a kind items that the player only gains access to after reaching the highest level of trust and respect with a supplying country. In fact, it may take a few games before you even encounter one , let alone all of them. The game has a lot of random elements in an attempt to make each game play different and require different as well as often shifting strategies by the player. Further adding to the complexity is that different phases of the game will require a different focus by the player, also affected by their performance up to that point and the overall global climate(situation, not weather). The game makes this nest of complex actions and effects manageable by having a somewhat simple interface with just 6-7 menus and a dozen main actions.

The first 20 minutes of the game seems laughably simple. Within 30-40 minutes the player encounters their first tricky situation and then feels confident after overcoming it. At 60-75 minutes the game is starting to get hectic and intense. If the player reaches the late game state in 2-3 hours the game is very different and self doubt takes over. A victory is an even more haunting experience than a loss because you will wonder how much better you could have done if any of the 90+ decisions you made were different.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2014, 10:44:31 pm »

OK, I have to choose a new agency here in the next 24 hours and I figured since you guys were passionate about the issue, I would give you a chance to weigh in.

The leading options so far are

Arms Prevention Agency                       A. P. A.

United Nations Department of Defense    U.N.D.O.D

International Police Force                     I.P.F.

Global Arms Task Force                        G.A.T.F.  OR  U.A.T.F. (United Arms Task Force) OR  W.A.T.F.   (Worldwide Arms Task Force)

International Weapons Commission         I.W.C.

Accepting super strong submissions as well, but only if you feel it in your gut that it's great. All contributors will be put in the game credits if they desire.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2014, 10:56:42 pm »

U.A.T.F and  I.W.C  have the best sounds.  another could be united nations armed task force. ( U.N.A.T.F)

EDIT; just thought of G.A.T.E ( Global Armed & Tactical Enforcement)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:27:10 am by choppy »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40