Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56343 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Weapon smuggling tycoon game
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2014, 08:53:55 pm »

I'm very much on the fence about homebrew guns. On one hand, there have been 'successful' completely printed guns which can fire for a few shots (and I guess that's all you need) so I get that it is dangerous, especially if you can basically melt down the gun afterwards. However you're not going to be able to shoot someone at long range with a printed gun, and I'm sure the aim is atrocious.

If we got to a stage where anyone could make proper all-printed guns which fired reliably it'd be different, but at the moment you can basically only make parts and some zip-guns, which you could easily have improvised before (see the film Munich).

In gameplay terms it'd be interesting if there was a difference between marked and unmarked guns/bullets.   

I'll check out the marked/unmarked mechanic in the game and see how it is. Something that you don't realize about game design until you do it.....interesting features are often boring in practice. I had so many cool, complex or realistic ideas and most of them had to be taken out because they were slow, tedious, complicated, confusing, time consuming, etc. Game design is all about balancing player reward against player effort. Fun is created when reward is high compared to effort expended but only when the illusion of impending failure looms(challenge). It's really a fascinating look into psychology but it's also maddening and causes this particular designer to lose sleep everyday. The really hard part is that for a niche game like this, around 30% of all players will not enjoy it and a third of them will vocalize it in the most heinous manner possible while I will have to carry on and stay positive and tweak the game for the rest of the people. Yay! It's also really cool and a dream come true, so no complaints here.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2014, 09:01:42 pm »

The dev for Banished has some really good posts about dropping mechanics that turned out to be tedious, like crop rotation. I often find myself in a similar struggle. Its the great tragedy of gamedesign that your dream is always a little tainted by execution.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2014, 09:29:38 pm »

The dev for Banished has some really good posts about dropping mechanics that turned out to be tedious, like crop rotation. I often find myself in a similar struggle. Its the great tragedy of gamedesign that your dream is always a little tainted by execution.

Sometimes the art is in just making the best game you can, it isn't always compromised by compromise.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2014, 12:11:15 am »

It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away

Looks good hemming.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2014, 01:28:21 am »

posting to smuggle ak47s in shipping containers of watches

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2014, 01:35:49 am »

posting to smuggle ak47s in shipping containers of watches
"No, really these are just watches. The bullets tell you what time it is, I've done nothing wrong. Why are you arresting me?"
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2014, 03:00:50 am »

As far as Swedish weaponry goes, I would have only two requests: one is quite obvious, and second one... Not so much. ;)

So the obvious one is Carl Gustav recoilless rifle; while production started in 1940s, it is still in widespread use today, and it is quite iconic for Swedish weaponry.
The not-so-obvious one is CBJ-MS personal defense weapon by Saab - Bofors (too bad they mostly make rockets nowadays), with Wikipedia link. I like PDWs very much, and would love to see quite a few, as they seem to be kind of a future of warfare.

So, on to the next country in next post. :)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2014, 03:28:07 am »

OK, for Italy, there are three guns I'd think it would be neat to include:
1. Mateba Autorevoler; semi-automatic revolvers are so rare, it is always a good idea to add one or another. :)
2. Tanfoglio T95; probably as close as we can get to CZ-75 without including Czech weaponry.
3. Spectre M4; apart from cool name, it is used by Swiss. Therefore, it must be a good weapon. :)

Rest of the countries will probably have to wait a little longer for their posts, but they will get them, don't worry.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2014, 03:45:41 am »

hmm...perhaps the classic weapons from FPS-Games like Counter-Strike, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc.?
That could be a recognition effect for some gamer.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2014, 06:41:07 am »

Awesome job BlindKitty! I love it. Definitely including all of those and when I include the AutoRevolver I have to include the Rhino as well

HopFlash, That's the idea. I will be including every iconic movie or real videogame weapon I can think of to make the gun "nuts" happy. Also, those are the weapons that sell really well in the third world countries.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2014, 06:53:03 am »

Probably to late, considering how far the game's development has advanced, but how much accommodations have been made to allow people to mod in additional weaponry?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2014, 07:04:19 am »

We are working to try to add Steamworks support and allow weapons, portraits, text and maps to be modded in. I doubt the ruleset will be moddable though. I can't make any guarantees due to the cost of the extra work for modding. I will promise that if the game sells ok I will make every effort to add in modding support post release. We intend on releasing more weapons in patches post launch as well. If the game sells decently they will be free updates. If the game barely sells, then ironically I would have to charge for weapon pack DLC which I hate the idea of. However, my artist's time is valuable and he has to make money.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2014, 07:49:18 am »

I've got to Spain already, and I have a few ideas:
1. CETME assault rifles, especially model L, as it is chambered for standard NATO round and will probably see more use than CETME A, B or C rifles for 7.62 mm NATO.
2. CETME Ameli LMG - also 5.56 mm NATO chambered.
3. Z84, a nice SMG, and those are always useful in CQB. Also, we all know UZI and MAC-10, it is nice to drop in something else, too. Too bad Jatimatic is from Finland. ;)
4. C90-CR for the big boom. :)

Israel is next in the line, isn't it? I'm glad I can help. I'm kind of a fan of modern firearms. :) The Call of Honor: Battlefield weapons are a nice thing to have for all the people who think they know something about guns after playing those games (and also there are sometimes some pretty decent examples), so it seems like a good idea, too. I might try to put together some form of a base-weaponry list that in my opinion would be a good 'core' in this respect, but I don't know if it would help.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2014, 08:05:48 am »

As usual, these are great BK! The Jatimatic wouldn't be a good choice anyway with so few of them having been made and most of them have been taken out of circulation. It is thought that nearly half of them ended up in criminal hands due to their exquisite concealment possibilities. Still, I loved it as a kid and preferred it's style over the Uzi and definitely over the Mac-10. As you said earlier, too bad Saab Bofors mostly only makes missiles now. I love all of their weapons and Saab can do no wrong with warfare in my eyes. The Saab Viggen was one of the finest Interceptor designs of the 70s-80s and should have been pursued for modern evolution.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2014, 10:47:42 am »

Canadian Content:
A lot of the stuff they use is based on American or European designs, so not sure how much of this is useful. I’ve tried to include things that are specifically manufactured in Canada though.

LAV III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAV_III
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wheeled IFV, able to carry a squad of soldiers. comparable to US Stryker.
Used by:
Canada, New Zealand, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Columbia

C7 Rifle/C8 carbine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diemaco_C7
Canadian versions of the M-16a2 rifle and m16a1 carbine. Over 200k built. Longer stock, improved hand guards, but generally quite similar.
Used by:
Canada, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, UK,Iceland, Afghanistan, Norway

C14 Timberwolf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C14_Timberwolf_rifle
.338 magnum bolt-action Sniper rifle

ERYX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ERYX
Portable Anti-Tank Missle
Co-produced by France/Canada
Used by: