Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56378 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Feedback needed
« Reply #375 on: August 09, 2014, 06:06:34 pm »

While an avid gamer for 30+ years, I have never played Discworld! I should be more ashamed to admit that, but it is what it is.

I suppose I should look into it now if it is so relevant!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 09, 2014, 06:11:46 pm »

While an avid gamer for 30+ years, I have never played Discworld! I should be more ashamed to admit that, but it is what it is.

I suppose I should look into it now if it is so relevant!

Honestly, most of the games weren't so great.  The book series is incredible though and has been responsible for many public fits of hysterical laughter.  Just don't let the first two novels put you off, he grew a lot as writer.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 09, 2014, 09:29:44 pm »

Do we have any budding game designers who want to get a credit for asst game design and a small compensation for a brainstorming session via email or skype chat? I am looking for people with an interest in RPG, game progression/arc, balance and military/espionage/rogue elements. You will be assisting, as a group with suggesting and providing feedback on passive and active abilities that the player will gain through achievements and leveling up(Most Wanted List). Feel free to express your interest here or by PM. I will expect you to think about the game on your own time, make notes and pitch your suggestions and feedback on the general group's submissions for three days. The pay will be: For Participation only you will receive any one Steam game(Origin is ok too). If your ideas are used in the final project or you are determined to be a great asset then instead you will receive a total payment of $100 via PayPal. I don't expect this to take you more than 4 hours of active work, including taking notes and providing feedback. As mentioned, your name will be listed in the credits as Element Design Assistant.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 09, 2014, 10:28:20 pm »

I would definitely be interested in that! Depending on what time the brainstorming session is at of course.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 09, 2014, 10:39:30 pm »

I would definitely be interested in that! Depending on what time the brainstorming session is at of course.

+1, although you'd be smart to amend that offer in this day of $100+ alphas.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 09, 2014, 10:42:24 pm »

He is, asking you to work mind you.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 09, 2014, 10:49:53 pm »

He is, asking you to work mind you.

Well, yeah.  A lot of devs expect us to pay to 'work' in this manner.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 09, 2014, 11:06:08 pm »

Well, I am not paying a lot of money, but paying for true work is the right thing to do. I would pay more, but I am tapped out and I have other areas that need the money more. Those under 16 years of age must submit a letter, or a picture of a letter from a parent authorizing you to participate.

There is no set time for the brainstorming. I will simply ask you each to check in before noon EST(GMT -5) and again before midnight. You can spend the time between however you want. If you are productive you will make the $100, if you dog it, i'll still take care of you in the form of gifting a game, but don't expect to be brought back on the next session.

I think the people that charge $100 for participation in a broken alpha are the opportunist jerks who are ruining the industry.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 09, 2014, 11:21:52 pm »

Alright, I'm still interested in doing it. I do work full-time though, so I'd have to email you the one before noon. In the evenings I'd have more time to have a back-and-forth discussion with you if that's what you desire. Also, when would you expect us to start? And yes, I'm over 16.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 09, 2014, 11:24:25 pm »

I'm designing a game right now, so I'm definitely interested. It's a personal solo project, so it won't be a distraction.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 09, 2014, 11:27:19 pm »

Alright, I'm still interested in doing it. I do work full-time though, so I'd have to email you the one before noon. In the evenings I'd have more time to have a back-and-forth discussion with you if that's what you desire. Also, when would you expect us to start? And yes, I'm over 16.
Same questions.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 10, 2014, 05:28:05 am »

I will decide on the team no later than tonight and provide an in depth briefing on the game design and the projected player experience and the curve that we currently have planned. I would expect you to start thinking about it overnight and provide some feedback on the briefing and any first, rough ideas you might have come up with or are toying with. Very informal at first, not much expected on this first day. Later that night, I would expect you to hop back on email, read the exchanges and provide any further ideas you may have had during the day and react to the ideas of others. This would continue on Tues and Weds, taking an hour of active time a day.

On Weds I will take the best of our ideas into my design meeting with my team and two developer friends(we sit in on each others design meetings in an effort to grow ourselves and the industry) and go over what we came up with. We will vet the ideas, looking for any flaws or conflicts between the current design and the theoretical design proposed by our session. We will then white board play sessions using the new modifications. During this phase we verbally walk through a game, step by step and figure out how the changes would play out.

Whatever changes make it through this stage get coded into a dynamic build and tested. We play these versions around 2 dozen times total between us and take many notes. Then we check the recorded performance data of the games and try to get a picture of the overall impact, such as changes to game length, changes to time between player actions, changes in time to reach various stages and finally the rate of acquisition(for money, cargo and special weapons and achievements). We make any last final fine tuning based on this and then we would turn it over to others for testing.

While we are working on this, the rest of my team is running the second half of this process on the AI which I also am participating in. In fact, I've been up all night testing a new branch. It's not an improvement to the one you all have. It has more stuff, but it's not better. It would be a huge help if everyone who has less than 2GB RAM let's me know. That's our target for bare minimum specs. It will run on MANY CPU combos, memory is the biggest issue now that we have 2 map choices and 170 countries, 10 + Arms Dealers AI, 340+ weapons w/images, 170+ general portraits, etc etc.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 10, 2014, 05:40:45 am »

Could I be thrown into the mix, Hemmingjay?

I'm one of those people who always seems to say "wouldn't it be cool if..." where games are concerned, and I've always got an idea or two floating around! This venture is totally my kind of thing!

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 10, 2014, 06:38:02 am »

I'd love to participate but as I'm in Europe I'm afraid I'll mess up the time conversion and disappoint everyone. But considering I'm trying to break into the industry myself as a programmer without a formal programming education I'd love the experience. So throw me in the mix too, please.

Also, if you're still looking for general names: if the Netherlands is in the game consider adding General Brons (real name). My ego would explode like a 3D printed gun after the first shot.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 10, 2014, 08:07:16 am »

I'm also in Europe, UK, so might mess with the time a little - but I'd really love to be a part of this (or considered at least!) :)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40