Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56405 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Weapon smuggling game
« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2014, 12:51:25 pm »

Thanks for lots of god stuff to think about. I really appreciate it.

I'm rather stuck on one detail now, do I describe Arms Dealer as a simulation or as a strategy game? It's technically a business simulation but it's a strategic game that extends beyond a realistic simulation of business and into a sci-fi spectrum. I believe the wise business decision would be to use the strategy tag, but I don't want to mislead anyone.

Definitely strategy. Simulation makes it sound a bit dry and as though it'd just be loads of spreadsheet and number crunching.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2014, 11:20:13 am »

Just a few updates:
1) Added a few filters for the map so the player can now quickly find potential conflicts to exploit, rebellions to incite and wealthy nations to target. Covertly instigating conflicts and rebellions is one of the more involved strategies for a player to try due to the complex web of potential fallout, but the filter system at least makes it easier to zero in on potential opportunities.

2) Added new options for competing with AI Arms Dealers such as sabotage, hiring pirates or colluding with law enforcement to eliminate an opponent(once per game, suffer huge reputation hit).

3) Grammy Award Winner, Billy Shaw, is mixing and creating our sound effects to be unobtrusive and a perfect fit for the world.

4) 15,000 likes on Facebook in 5 weeks. I am thinking I can risk using Greenlight to garner some much needed attention. I hope I can count on some support from B12.

5) The story panels/scenes are under production and are looking amazing. We have created a way to tell a story without slowing the game down or requiring the player to watch for tiny text on the screen. Also, 1/4 of the weapon blueprints are finished.

6) On a similar note, I am handling most of the data entry for the game. We have more than 170 countries in the game, each with more than a dozen properties, each researched and calculated to a base value before the game modifies them to create a unique new game experience. Countries also have complex relationships with other nations, also adjusted before every new game. Then we have more than 350 weapons, vehicles and other items that also have multiple values. All of this adds up to a mountain of tedious data entry.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
7) We are still on track to finish by the end of August, but anything can come up at the last moment.

Finally, the first draft of our website is live at www.ArmsDealerGame.com
It needs work, but it's a decent start.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Only a simple mind can be certain.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2014, 11:43:14 am »

http://www.armsdealergame.com/
It’s the year 2025

http://www.armsdealergame.com/?page_id=16
Arms Dealer is a strategy game set in the year 2019.

excuse moi

also is best korea in. this is an important thing.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2014, 09:35:02 pm »

Good catch! The webmaster took resources, old and new, from various places and this is just one of the errors we are trying to clean up. Thanks for the help!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 11, 2014, 01:47:49 pm »

I'd honestly question why the year is 2025 and weaponry is relatively the same.

But guns have stagnated and are all pretty much the same, with alterations being made basically on a job for job basis.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2014, 04:41:26 am »

I have included most of the current weaponry that is in testing, but if you look at the arms trade it is mostly older weaponry being circulated. This is because most nations that employ arms dealers do so because official channels are not open to them or because they can't afford retail prices. I have included the more exotic weapons to please gun enthusiasts who might play the game as well as to provide a high premium product for elite markets within the game. For example, there are a few guns which are very rare and certain nations will request them if you develop a strong reputation with them. Further, some are ultra rare and you may not encounter them for many games.

There is an achievement within the game, a collection system. As an arms dealer and collector, you keep one of every new weapon you trade in and display it on a special wall. This carries over from game to game and should take anywhere from 8 games for a very dedicated and lucky player to 25ish games for a normal player. There are systems in place in the game to limit you from finding one profitable weapon and trying to just sell that to everyone for an entire game. Supplies are limited, not quite finite. Weapons are produced in small numbers and even smaller numbers will trickle into the black market supply over time to replenish. Also, the more common a weapon becomes, the lower the price will be, meaning if you sell AN-94s to 8 countries, it's going to be hard to make a decent profit on your remaining inventory of them.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2014, 09:40:39 pm »

Just an update to say we have reworked our map and some of the menus to be a little more slick.
new map

new menu design

More news coming soon. Excuse the low key announcements, avoiding the hype train as much as possible.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2014, 10:45:01 pm »

What's the smug panel about? Just standing there looking disinterested in your $50k suit?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 28, 2014, 12:42:43 am »

8)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Feedback needed
« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2014, 03:45:33 am »

Our UI UX is up on Behance for feedback and I would really appreciate the same from you guys. We are rapidly approaching our beta. Please note that any art other than the map and the UI elements are placeholder and should be disregarded.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2014, 03:49:59 am »

Is Canada really that snowey?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 01, 2014, 03:59:52 am »

i believe these pics are based off of satellite data

i know jack shit about professional graphics design so i'll just say "well it looks good" i could give you anything if i actually had the thing on hand so i can see how it reacts to being prodded but i'm pretty sure you can handle that on your own

actually, fuck that noise, this looks a little bit uplink-like and i love that aspect in things (could use to be a little more hollywood digital-like? i mean, the assumption is that you're sitting back doing all this from a terminal, right? or is that not "real" enough?)

i find that your ui does not really have speed buttons - if you find these unnecessary by doing stuff like pausing in menu or whatever it is that's fine, but in that case what about 2x and 4x unless that too is for various reasons not needed

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:08:11 am by LordSlowpoke »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 01, 2014, 11:17:44 am »

Thanks for the feedback! Like all things game, artistic license is used heavily, which is how Canada ends up looking snow covered. I belive my art director based it off of sat photos which were likely from the winter months. In the Winter, little of Canada is green or even brown. LordSlowpoke, how could we make it more Hollywood-like?

As for speed buttons, they aren't needed. With menus pausing time, things are manageable. You won't need to speed things up because time moves quickly. The whole game is faster paced than a lot of strategy games. It isn't as slow as Shadow President, Supreme Ruler 2020, Hearts of Iron, or that type of game.

I wanted to make a deep strategy game that could be played in 1-1.5 hours and get the entire experience. If you want to sit and really plan your moves, you could drag it out to almost 4 hours, based on the current build of the game.

The next question is, when will I let a few people test it? Very soon. First, I need to find the right people. The first batch of 2-4 people I am looking for have to be the type that really like strategy games and business/trading games. The very first build of the game I am going to share will only have trading in it. Competing arms dealers and the AI enemies/law enforcement agencies will be turned off, as will things like special requests and missions. The RPG/skill elements will also not be active in the first builds. I really want to hammer out the basics first, even if that means just giving access to the most old fashioned, slightly boring aspect. It will play more like Drug Wars/Dope Wars where you just try to trade as much as you can for profit in a set amount of time. Our system involves unlocking new countries to buy and sell to through reputation and bribery systems. By dealing weapons to friends of the supplier, you build reputation with everyone in that alliance. That provides access to new customer nations as well as better deals with that supplier and access to new inventory. It works the other way too, if you are found to be supplying their enemies, your reputation will be damaged and you may find yourself unable to deal with those nations at all. Some nations are prohibited from official trade altogether, making it highly illegal to supply them with weapons from one of the 10 official suppliers. Should you get caught, you will be banned from dealing with them for several years. You hear rumors though of an unaffiliated, black market supplier who has his own reputation rating and rewards loyalty. You just need to find him first.

Anyway, I should be handing out the first build next week, Tues-Weds. If anyone here is interested in giving up 2-4 hours a week to play and write up a little about their experience, please let me know here. Just say what you find interesting about the project and what types of similar games you like. Thanks everyone!

PS, I am trying to get an official record for the video game with the most real guns in it, at 340+. As far as I can find, no game has come even close, with procedural generation not counting.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:20:06 am by hemmingjay »

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2014, 11:35:46 am »

Things seem to be progressing well!
Really looking forward to seeing the game in action - I definitely appreciate that you're taking the time to model so many different weapons.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2014, 11:40:34 am »

I know it's 2D, but it looks absolutely beautiful. I love the feel of it and it's really drawing me in!

I'd be very much up for being one of those early testers. I'm a huge strategy and simulation fan, particularly tycoon style sims, and have played pretty much every game in the genre for varying amounts of time. I know that's a bit of a generalised statement, but I can't quite stress the love I have for a good strategy/simulation game, and how many I have played, I can sit at my laptop for hours with the right one and completely lose track of time. I still go back to most of the sims from the 'golden age' of gaming, as most today are a little too dumbed down - Arms Dealer seems to (or hopes to!) buck that trend. My favourites are those where you start small, with a very limited budget, and grow over time - things like the Rollercoaster Tycoon series or (now extremely ancient) business games like Motor City, Capitalism etc.

The big selling points of Arms Dealer, for me anyway, is the way you interact with the world. It isn't just a 'buy low, sell high' simulation, but a game in which you start off having to bribe other people to ship your weapons for you, before amassing enough money over time to venture out on your own. It's a slow build game, with no instant reward, and with plenty of things to go wrong! It also excites me that you can use organisations to influence unrest in particular corners of the globe and then exploit that unrest by selling weapons to the highest bidder. There's something quite alluring to being cast as the big man behind the bad men, after all there'd be no war without a good supply of cheap weaponry! I am also loving the current art style, I can't quite liken it to anything else, but it's super pretty and fresh.

As for time, I could totally spend 4+ hours playing this per week. I'm a law degree student, going into my final year in late September, so I have absolutely nothing to do over the Summer! I'm also no stranger to testing, having been a regular on testing (as well as researching) for the Football Manager series, as well as countless Early Access games.

So yeah, please throw my name in the hat! :)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40