Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - Back from the Dead  (Read 56360 times)

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - Weapon smuggling tycoon game
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2014, 01:42:09 am »

For me International Police Force (I.P.F.) sounds good from the word intention. "Force" sounds way more in-field than "commission" and "police" sounds for fewer specialization than something with "arms" or "weapons".

The "United Nation" sounds really focused on the UN...if that is the intention then UNDOD would be better but it sounds like a weaker threat for the player. more like a talker and organisation actor and not like an infield action force.

"International" sounds like professional worldwide acting, "Police" and "Force" as active (a little aggressive) really practical task force.

Only the acronym is perhaps a little weak but the "sounds" of it would be better judged from a native english speaker :)
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2014, 03:37:27 am »

I like GATF best form your list.

Are they trying to prevent weapons proliferation or do they have a bigger agenda of general world policing?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2014, 03:49:36 am »

Global Armament Trafficking Investigative Service, G.A.T.I.S
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2014, 04:19:50 am »

Iraq never had Bio-weapons, they had chemical weapons that they used on the Kurds, Every major Western, Eastern, and Third world nation has a chemical and Bio-weapon program, also there are several companies that produce antrax and other bio-weapons for Defense Research.

Well, this website seems to disagree with you there: http://www.crimesofwar.org/a-z-guide/biological-weapons/ you can also check Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_warfare#Postwar_period

Iraq did have a Bio-weapons program, and it was shut down hard after the Americans invaded it.

Most nations have "officially" closed down their Bio-weapon programs. A convention banning bio-weapons was passed in 1975, and by 2011, 165 countries, including Russia, the US and the UK, had signed it. No nation has been proven to produce or possess Bio-weapons today (which doesn't mean they don't have them.)

Here's a quote from the wiki:
"According to the U.S. Congress Office of Technology Assessment 8 countries were generally reported as having undeclared offensive biological warfare programs in 1995: China, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Libya, North Korea, Syria and Taiwan. Five countries had admitted to having had offensive weapon or development programs in the past: United States, Russia, France, the United Kingdom, and Canada.[60] Offensive BW programs in Iraq were dismantled by Coalition Forces and the UN after the first Gulf War (1990–91), although an Iraqi military BW program was covertly maintained in defiance of international agreements until it was apparently abandoned during 1995 and 1996.[61]"

I kinda like A.P.A, although it sound like some sort of paramilitary group.

Quick Question Will we get access to WMDs? I know post-Soviet collapse a few nukes where on the market along with Ballistic Subs, and Saran and Anthrax are produce able to sell.

There are three categories of items for sale; Arms, Vehicles, and Intelligence/Strategic. The third category includes very rare and incredibly expensive one of a kind items that the player only gains access to after reaching the highest level of trust and respect with a supplying country. In fact, it may take a few games before you even encounter one , let alone all of them. The game has a lot of random elements in an attempt to make each game play different and require different as well as often shifting strategies by the player. Further adding to the complexity is that different phases of the game will require a different focus by the player, also affected by their performance up to that point and the overall global climate(situation, not weather). The game makes this nest of complex actions and effects manageable by having a somewhat simple interface with just 6-7 menus and a dozen main actions.

The first 20 minutes of the game seems laughably simple. Within 30-40 minutes the player encounters their first tricky situation and then feels confident after overcoming it. At 60-75 minutes the game is starting to get hectic and intense. If the player reaches the late game state in 2-3 hours the game is very different and self doubt takes over. A victory is an even more haunting experience than a loss because you will wonder how much better you could have done if any of the 90+ decisions you made were different.

Well, it suddenly seems way more likely to start WW3 in this game. :P
Maybe put it as an alternate ending? ("Your actions have started a nuclear war. Good job, dumbass.")
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:31:27 am by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2014, 05:02:24 am »

I liked IWC out of those, personally.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2014, 05:57:00 pm »

One thing I was thinking of, was you were talking about randomized games, so you could have a variety of names that it picks from at random.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2014, 07:03:40 pm »

One thing I was thinking of, was you were talking about randomized games, so you could have a variety of names that it picks from at random.

I like that idea but I'm not certain that it adds anything.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2014, 10:55:17 pm »

Think of them as bosses. Make it so that depending on the organization the A.I acts somewhat differently

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2014, 02:58:16 am »

That would be a pretty neat idea. Give the different agencies different ways to hurt your business. Say, have some agencies intervene in global conflicts, sabotaging your business, or embargo your favourite business partner, making it more expensive and dangerous to get weapons from them, or have them cooperate with the different nations, making it harder to stay ahead of the law the more nations you piss off, say, by supplying highly illegal weapons to terrorists.

You can also have different agencies prioritise different types of weapons or business partners. Some would care a lot more about you supplying stuff to terrorists than african warlords, while others would care more about you selling outlawed weapons like Mustard Gas.

Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2014, 03:27:49 am »

and some would be after you for taking their business. it would be a neat random gameplay mechanic.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2014, 05:28:49 am »

I like this idea so much that I might patch it in post launch as added content. I was already planning to add more weapons and random options/events but this is a great way to add more game with only a few weeks of programming and testing. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

*Alternatively I might just have 3 or 4 different agencies, one for each difficulty level.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2014, 05:34:41 am »

I'm a little late, I think, but I've already expressed my support for IPF option before. :)

But, onto the meat, so to speak.

Most importantly, so called SA80 family of weapons, with L85A1 and L85A2 (vastly, vastly improved version; the A1 should be sold as much cheaper alternative, as it was very prone to failing) and L86A1/A2 light support weapon, maybe even L22 carabine?

Furthermore, LAW 80, which is one of more well-known rocket grenade launchers today.

AWM, a very good sniper rifle, although manufactured in relatively small numbers. It is a poster child of Counter Strike 1.6, though, so it help in shaping the childhood dreams of many a camper in the day. ;)

Parker Hale PDW, if only because it is one of relatively small array of 9x19mm PDWs.

And perhaps worth including could be a L9A1 51 mm light mortar, as it was made in large numbers, and then replaced by new, 60 mm mortar, so it should available in large numbers for gun-running businesses.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2014, 05:51:45 am »

Ok so how realistic this game is expected to be?
As in who will supply the weapons as when arms dealing is concerned mostly russia and USA coems to mind and its an even smaller scale when you play as a small time private arms peddler who likely won't get his hands on export variants of T-72s... like ever.

Or will it be a more "alternate history" setting where PMCs can roll into let's say Poland and order 12 PT-91Ex assuming their standing with Poland and cash balance is high enough.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:41:30 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2014, 07:33:14 am »

France, it seems, specializes in exporting naval vehicles (to countries like Russia, no less...) and planes, but I have been able to put up a few weapons that should be included from there, I think:

FAMAS, the AR of choice for French army and Foreign Legion alike;
MAT-49, an old SMG, good for cheap clients;
FR F2 and PGM variants, sniper rifles, if there is ever shortage of those.

So, we are left with Chinese, Russian and American weapons; it could take a somewhat longer time, due to huge amount of those. :)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2014, 07:59:01 am »

Ok so how realistic this game is expected to be?
As in who will supply the weapons as when arms dealing is concerned mostly russia and USA coems to mind and its an even smaller scale when you play as a small time private arms peddler who likely won't get his hands on export variants of T-72s... like ever.

Or will it be a more "alternate history" setting where PMCs can roll into let's say Poland and order 12 PT-91Ex assuming their standing with Poland and cash balance is high enough.

Most of this information is available in the other posts already but I am happy to sum it up for you. There are 10 supplying nations that a player buys from, these are the current 10 top arms trading nations in the world     
1       Russia    
2     United States    
3     China    
4     France    
7     United Kingdom    
5     Germany    
6     Italy    
8     Israel    
9     Spain       
10     Sweden

Ukraine was actually #10 but I removed it for the sake of gameplay since they mostly only export Radar and electronics equipment and the small arms that they export are the same as Russia and the US. Sweden on the otherhand has some really cool weapons. Realism isn't a super high priority in a game because it's not very fun. In fact when you design a game for the first time you get to experience a life changing event(for gamers) where you very clearly see that adding or removing a realistic element almost always directly impacts the fun experienced by the player. You need to include enough to create immersion but remove enough to be fun. In my experience it is best to include realism in the background and elements not under player control and let the player break reality with their actions. It is a fantasy they want to believe in so they are able to avoid breaking the illusion. Deep down we all want to be powerful and have the rules apply to everyone but us, so when designing a game it's important to play to that psychological desire in limited doses.

The short answer, it's set roughly 10 years in the future so it's not necessary to make it alternate reality, but it doesn't necessarily preclude the concept that it could be. If I do my job well, you won't ask that question while playing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40