Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79913 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2015, 05:53:31 pm »

Also, I love missle spam, but missles lag the game to hell since piles of several 100'ds start forming that missed targets and are just floating on the water.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2015, 11:13:36 pm »

I'd really like to see a well-made diesel punk fleet battle.

Anyways, my main problem with this game is that since the sky's the limit no one's really concerned about making cool looking ships... it's all just about making these terribly OP, boxy death-contraptions. It's most of what's put me off of MP thus far. Don't get me wrong, I see a lot of people making these replica ships, but I never see anyone use them. Alternatively, many of them barely function or are also not well balanced. Why can't we make cool-looking ships that are balanced against each other and also pack a moderate punch without gimmicks?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2015, 08:52:27 am »

Aavak's ships usually look pretty nice as a form from function thing, but also tend to fall under the almighty boot of his missile fetishism so take that as you will.

Anyway, I think the reason why it's so common to build boxes of weaponry and not much else is because there's not much pressure to make something that maneuvers well, and because there's no structural limits on how big you can build a thing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:54:46 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2015, 03:58:50 pm »

One turn and IR sensor, it's all you need (okay, and some fuel, a motor, and probably some warheads and fins, but c'mon).
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2015, 06:11:38 pm »

One turn forces all missiles in a group to make an initial turn towards whatever you/the AI has targeted.  I use a pretty basic 5 block (that's 10 components) missile using, from bottom to top: an engine, two tanks, two fins, one turn, one of the enhanced tracking things, one each of the explosive and frag warheads and an IR sensor, very effective.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:19:59 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2015, 06:12:14 pm »

Without a turn they wouldn't have pointed towards the target at all. So the IR sensor couldn't have picked it up to track.

NINJAD: Yeah that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2015, 07:09:32 pm »

Question/Challenge: Anyone made a vessel that can descend as a submarine, and then fly into the air?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2015, 08:43:39 pm »

Would just like to add my Seal of Approval (as if I had any credibility or rep to do that).
I tried the game yesterday and really liked it!

The interface is ugly, and it's rather hard to build a ship that doesn't tip over. But I love how the dev REALLY prioritized learning the game as fast as possible, with the visual guides and all that.
The "fill" feature really blew my mind. That thing when you press F and it fills up a 'framed' (hollow? my english failing) area. The P feature, "minimize blocks", too.

I made a weird battleship thing that took me HOURS to build, and it still derps. I wonder if I'm stupid, or if the game's really hard.
Once I imported it to the campaign, even though it's a rather noob-ship, it killed everything from the DWG...but I guess they are the easiest, noobest faction.
It only scores 1.7 on the test, so it sucks for anything other than a day-one noob ship.

I also like how you could just download ships and play the game strategically. Or build your own ships and solely focus on arena-style battles. Really admired all that, not sure why I didn't know the game until I watched a Robbaz video about it, though.

Here's the Laststanderer: because it was a last attempt at making a boat that floats, or I'd quit the game and accept a miserable defeat.

6 missiles, a torpedo, a 360 no-scope turret and some silly simple weapons. That's how you show how creative and smart you are...to 10 year olds or something.

Anyways, loved the game. If I get any skill with it, I'd love to make a submarine that launches torpedo-missiles (I THINK that can work? But from what I tested it seemed to weigh more or to use more fuel), in the hopes that I can make airships useless and eat through boats. I'm REALLY bad at building things in this game though, so I'm not sure if that's even practical.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:46:43 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2015, 09:06:06 pm »

Question/Challenge: Anyone made a vessel that can descend as a submarine, and then fly into the air?
Make a normal sub but use ion thrusters.
Put balloons.
??
Flying sub.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2015, 09:42:20 pm »

Make a normal sub but use ion thrusters.
Put balloons.
??
Flying sub.

Actually, it's probably possible to make a dual-propulsion craft that can dive using fins and still be compact enough with enough wing space to take off. After all, someone made a battleship that turns into a spacecraft.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2015, 10:10:41 pm »

Honestly, if I want to make things fly, I just put balloons on them. Hell I put balloons on things just to keep some from sinking.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2015, 10:15:44 pm »

Honestly, if I want to make things fly, I just put balloons on them. Hell I put balloons on things just to keep some from sinking.

stop it, stop it. The game tracks buoyancy.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2015, 10:19:27 pm »

I know but I can't build anything that won't tip over.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2015, 01:44:34 am »

game is not hard, but you need to learn loads of tricks:

make the turrets start from the bottom of the hull, with cannon connector going up trough the deck where the firing piece is to have the center of mass low

don't neglect fins to missiles, laser pointer instead of ir is good if your enemy have lots of decoys but that doesn't work well with the target prediction, remember a hit for low damage is better than a miss and for that frag at 180deg + frag at 10deg + proximity fuse works well

and sometime just a fast firing but precise enough cannon works well as AA

sometimes enemy offense is just overwhelming, multiple small ship works wonder against that

if a ship is stable enough and flips sometime, you can add a balloon with two automated control blocks on top of it at some distance from the waterline; have an acb open baloon below 0 mt and the other sever baloon after a delay above 0 mt

a volume without water pumps is not as buoyant if open and not above the waterline

jet require power to work (yeah I keep forgotting about that and look stupidly at my non moving planes like ALL THE TIME then put an engine)

use precision turrets all the time when you make non exposed turrets, the other one wobbles. have the barrel for the cannon built with 50% motor barrel, 25% elevator and 25% recoil suppress so it elevates by itself and the turret only need to rotate (actual % may vary)

laser is hard, but laser is king. I?m sad about that because I love cannons and missiles and all my ships are low tech where possible. missile flares are going to change that, but DAMN that ammunition costs

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2015, 04:11:22 am »

I know but I can't build anything that won't tip over.
Keels. KEEEELS.
Also building the top wider than the bottom helps. Rather than just being a prism in the water.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33