Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel and how do you respond to the following situation?

Screw the guy. Lie and say that he's a drug user - he certainly doesn't deserve the money.
- 0 (0%)
You can't believe this guy is getting this sort of opporunity while you have to keep busking. Grudgingly admit that he's clean, but warn the woman that he doesn't deserve the money.
- 8 (11.3%)
Good riddance. Tell the woman he's clean and be glad to be rid of him. At least you'll be bringing in a bit more money now.
- 23 (32.4%)
Happy. It's obvious the guy wasn't going to make it the way he was going, and you benefit from this as well, so you have no problem letting her know he's clean.
- 34 (47.9%)
Other (please specify)
- 5 (7%)
(New Option) Fuck this asshole! Plant some drugs in his bag, and tell the woman he's got drugs on him right now. Then call the cops and have the guy arrested. Problem Solved.
- 1 (1.4%)
(New Option) I want this jerk to feel like shit. Tell the woman he's a druggie and send her on her way. Then tell the guy what you did, rub it in, and hope he takes the hint and gets off your turf.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A question of values - what would you do if someone else would benefit?  (Read 2777 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yoink makes a good point - I should add an option where the guy in question somehow ends up worse off, and the person gets rid of him...

And done. Option "Ruin this jerks life" has been added.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:04:50 pm by GlyphGryph »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

This honestly isn't the best sort of situation for a moral quandary, considering that you also benefit in multiple ways from helping the guy; you'd only not help him if you were such an unrepentantly spiteful bastard as to willingly worsen your own life just to hurt someone else. For the record, I answered 'Good Riddance'.

e: Ninja'd, but whatever.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Two new options have been added to the pole! Break the law to make the guy suffer, or drive him off through the power of sheer assholery!

This honestly isn't the best sort of situation for a moral quandary, considering that you also benefit in multiple ways from helping the guy; you'd only not help him if you were such an unrepentantly spiteful bastard as to willingly worsen your own life just to hurt someone else. For the record, I answered 'Good Riddance'.
This isn't really supposed to be a question about moral quandaries. The way things happen are often just important as what happens. You'll note that both of the newly added options have costs of their own.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:09:54 pm by GlyphGryph »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

One of the places I'm also going to try to post the poll is Freep, so I expect we're going to get at least *some* "cut off your nose to spite your face" situations!
99% of the responses would be along the lines of "get a real job"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I wanted to say "Happy", but in truth, I'm not really that nice or that enlightened. So my actual response was "Good Riddance."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A) can't change answers once you've already voted, and B) those new options sound fun, although the first new option would probably be too risky for me (although this is a hypothetical thought-experiment version of myself anyway, so w/e) and the second one is the sort of thing I'd most likely fantasize about but be too cripplingly nice to actually do. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So put Yoink in the "wishes he had the balls to cut off his nose to spite his face, but that sounds really scary! At the very least he'll give that nose a flick and hope it falls off of its own volition" bucket? :P
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:36:18 pm by GlyphGryph »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Happy for me, since screwing him over would require putting in effort on my part.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess so! :P In the case of the first option, anyway.
The second one's a possibility, depending on just how much the guy's been annoying me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I should note that "Grudgingly admit that he's clean, but warn the woman that he doesn't deserve the money." is still totally a cutting off your nose to spite your face option, it's just the honorable version, since it's being done with the clear hope that she'll decide not to give him the money anyway (leaving him around to continue bothering you).

99% of the responses would be along the lines of "get a real job"
Hmm... I dunno. Would that actually stop them answering with one of the terrible options, though? I'd imagine it would be like "I would choose BLAH to screw him over, and THEN I would get a REAL job."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:41:01 pm by GlyphGryph »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Good riddance.
There is no real complication here. Everything works out better if he's gone, and letting the deus ex machina whisk him away is very convenient.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Good riddance.
There is no real complication here. Everything works out better if he's gone, and letting the deus ex machina whisk him away is very convenient.
Good riddance-Happyish.*
Yeah. I wouldn't mind seeing someone who stressed me so much off to better shores if that means they'll move away from me being caught in their fire, so to speak. On a more sympathetic note, the guy's been suffering quite a bit trying and horribly failing to play the part they're assigned. They need a better chance to handle what's coming next. Don't really care if that comes in the form of education on how to do their part, or if some magical deus ex machina situation whisks them away. I

*Bold is the selected option on the poll.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

Failing an opportunity to teach the dude if he actually has some talent, the second. Not so much to spite the guy, as to give the lady our genuine perspective - the guy's not doing well, but she should know what problems you've observed, at least, that might be a reason for that. You might seem like a spiteful asshole, and maybe the guy goes back to mess with our business again, but at the very least if he ends up wasting the opportunity, she'll be forewarned and forearmed from any nonsense the guy might pull.

Lady seems like kind of a jerk too, for being so snooty about drugs. (Some) drugs are awesome. I would tell the lady she's a jerk for not liking drugs. Then I'd play some more kazoo solos.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

For a renter -- and especially a philanthropist, in a situation like this -- drugs are a flat no, imo. I'd kick someone out for smoking or notable alcohol use on the property, nevermind anything illegal. Taking care of a rental property is bad enough without having to micromanage your tenants to make sure they're not using drugs that are going to damage your property (any involving smoke, at the absolute minimum) or cause the tenant to do damage to it (pretty much any of them, potentially). Nothing snooty about not wanting stuff known to cause property damage and wreck people around your property :-\

Mind you, that extends to legal drugs, as well. Someone wants to fuck up their domicile and their life, they can do it on their own time, money, and space. And yeah, there is such a thing as responsible drug use, but it's pretty much impossible to identify a responsible user beforehand -- that's something that takes extended familiarity with an individual and has to be kept on overwatch even after that, given potential long-term mental effects. All that, more than anything, would be my guess at her concern more than anything necessarily pejorative about drugs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

It was a joke. I thought the concept of making a living busking with a kazoo made that clear.

Why is the lady asking this from a random stranger, anyway? How would we know? A better solution is to get an OTC drug test, though the guy might be a little offended. There's a certain amount of risk involved with taking up a homeless person - that's part of the problem with homelessness, meth/heroin addicts are a real thing, so people feel hesitant to potentially contribute to their addiction. If I were really in the situation to talk with this woman, I would tell her to talk to the guy herself to get a better understanding of his situation first, without any hint that she might be willing to help him. It really comes down to trust. There are any number of other reasons besides drug use that could make giving money to the guy out of the blue a very bad idea, for him and/or her.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:09:13 am by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4