Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel and how do you respond to the following situation?

Screw the guy. Lie and say that he's a drug user - he certainly doesn't deserve the money.
- 0 (0%)
You can't believe this guy is getting this sort of opporunity while you have to keep busking. Grudgingly admit that he's clean, but warn the woman that he doesn't deserve the money.
- 8 (11.3%)
Good riddance. Tell the woman he's clean and be glad to be rid of him. At least you'll be bringing in a bit more money now.
- 23 (32.4%)
Happy. It's obvious the guy wasn't going to make it the way he was going, and you benefit from this as well, so you have no problem letting her know he's clean.
- 34 (47.9%)
Other (please specify)
- 5 (7%)
(New Option) Fuck this asshole! Plant some drugs in his bag, and tell the woman he's got drugs on him right now. Then call the cops and have the guy arrested. Problem Solved.
- 1 (1.4%)
(New Option) I want this jerk to feel like shit. Tell the woman he's a druggie and send her on her way. Then tell the guy what you did, rub it in, and hope he takes the hint and gets off your turf.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A question of values - what would you do if someone else would benefit?  (Read 2785 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I intend this to provoke discussion and serve as a data point, and I'm actually going to post the question in other places as well, although it might be modified by what's said here.

The scenario.
Imagine that you are working as a busker playing music for the public for several years, and are making a decent if not superb living at it. You enjoy doing it, and you are making ends meet.

About a month ago, though, another busker has started working on a corner not far from you, and he's absolutely terrible. He's so bad, that you've actually noticed a small drop in your own donations by association. You've tried to talk to him a few times, but to be honest, he's a bit of an unpleasant fellow, mostly in mannerism and odor. A bit conceited - he believes that the fact that he's never done drugs makes him better than other street performers, no matter their talent level, but not hostile and he still wished you the best in his own awkward way, although he refused to move to a less well-trafficked spot when you asked. You suspect he is homeless, on account of some of the things he's said and the fact that he barely makes any money with his playing. Mostly, he is just incredibly incompetent. He's not good at playing his instrument, he's not good at talking to people since he rambles and quickly loses the point, and the fact that he thinks this is the way to move forward with his life means his judgement isn't all that great either. At the very least his incompetence at the lifestyle makes your own achievements more clear, and you've got a few compliments for being a welcome change from having to listen to "that guy".

Today, however, a passing philanthropist has been so moved by his terrible wretchedness that she decided to take mercy on him, granting him a free apartment to live in and a monthly stipend so he doesn't have to draw glares on the street anymore. This would be a good thing for you - business would probably go back to the level it was before he showed up. However, the philanthropist is direly opposed to giving money to those who would use it on drugs, and before she makes him the offer, she has decided to ask you if you know anything about his proclivities on that front.

How do you feel and what do you do? (See poll)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Seems like a way to get rid of a problem and feel morally superior at the same time. I said Good Riddance.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Other - I'd tell them to fuck of out of my personal space.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Other - Ambivalent. Tell the philanthropist that, so far as you're aware*, the other busker is clean. You've got no reason to lie, but what happens to the other busker is honestly not really any of your business so long as they're not actively interfering with your life (which this fellow isn't. Not like you own the road or whatev'.) and not asking for/accepting help from you.

*Never seen him under the influence, fellow says he stays clean -- takes pride in it, even -- but you've seen plenty of users that act the same way *shrug*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To make ones own life worse to hurt others doesn't make sense. I mean, I totally understand hurting others to help oneself, but not when it hurts ones own self interest as well. I can sorta understand Good riddance, although I would pick happy. You would have to have some serious issues to pick the other two. And since the theoretical person we are stated as being can interact with the guy on a friendly enough level that he wishes us kindness even if he is not willing to actually do anything for it seems to imply to me that we don't have such issues. Not to mention our ability to interact with people enough to make a living on it and music.

So it seems odd. But, whatever. I pick happy. Also in a theoretical circumstance where he was a user, I would probably tell the philanthropist he wasn't anyway.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:19:30 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile

I'm a combo of happy and good riddance. Honestly my initial reaction was "I can't get this guy to leave, so I'll give him free lessons and then maybe we can get more money as a duo." I didn't expect there to be an "angel" solution like that.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I'd like to say I'd be happy about it, but I'd probably be a little bitter. Not enough to actually screw the guy over though.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile

I'm a combo of happy and good riddance. Honestly my initial reaction was "I can't get this guy to leave, so I'll give him free lessons and then maybe we can get more money as a duo."

Remind me to ask you for advice when some problem comes my way. That possibility didn't even occur to me.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:19:22 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Happy I guess, because you're helping someone who didn't really do anything horrible to you and at the same time helping yourself ever so slightly. I expected more of a dilemma when I started reading tbh :P
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Happy I guess, because you're helping someone who didn't really do anything horrible to you and at the same time helping yourself ever so slightly. I expected more of a dilemma when I started reading tbh :P
Yeah, I genuinely can't understand why one would lie about this.  Happy or grudging, possibly add the caveat that this is only "as far as you know," but to lie about it feels like cutting off your own nose to spite your face.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One of the places I'm also going to try to post the poll is Freep, so I expect we're going to get at least *some* "cut off your nose to spite your face" situations!

Also, after it sits for a while, I'll change the scenario slightly.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:46:31 pm by GlyphGryph »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be happy.

I can see two reasons to lie here: Spite or prestige. Spite's been discussed.
It was mentioned as the person only causing a small drop in income. I can easily see certain people who would want to hurt both themselves and someone else to be obviously much better than that person, although I'm not convinced that this type of person would be satisfied as a busker.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to screw the guy over, but not so much that I'd let him continue to be a problem for me.
Option two, I guess! Seeing him have such a stroke of luck would piss me off, but whatever.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4