Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: A thousand days of battle [6/6]  (Read 5381 times)

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
Re: A thousand days of battle [Looking for players: 6/6]
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 06:45:21 am »

((What's the river like?))
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: A thousand days of battle [Looking for players: 6/6]
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 06:51:50 am »

Also, can I be waitlisted?
((Sure.))

((The river's not too deep, but its banks are rather steep. A person on foot could probably cross it, with some difficulty. And yes, pack animals. A gem from that article: In 2007 Iranian authorities captured 14 squirrels, which were allegedly carrying spying equipment. The story was widely dismissed in the West as "nuts".))
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
Re: A thousand days of battle [6/6]
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 06:58:42 am »

"They'll be prepared against us the next time, if we want to attack something else this way."
He pauses
"A shovel would be nice too"
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:02:48 am by Again_Dejavu »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 07:04:41 am »

Born in a family of the rural gentry, Julian Fummington spent a sheltered childhood on the family estate. His father, Colonel Owen Fummington was a veteran of the Colonial Wars and fiercely patriotic. His older brother, Jonathan, joined as a lieutenant two years ago, urged on by his father.
Now turning 18, Julian finally gets to join and serve King and Country like the rest of the family's menfolk. Sure, his father seems less enthusiasts than he was when Jonathan signed up, and his mother seems heartbroken, but women always are emotional.

Using his father's connections, Julian was able to get hold of a lieutenant's commission. He was waiting to get assigned to a unit when the general called him.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

bawr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 07:05:22 am »

John smirks grimly.

"Big, small, ours is not to reason why, soldier. The command up high commands us to try, so it shall be written, so it shall be done. Just be glad there's probably not going to be tanks driving through the bombing. Speaking of which-"

He looks around, as if mildly irritated.

"Whichever fucker is hogging all the explosives, fess up and toss me a charge. Just in case they get themselves shot. There's a war out there, you know."

Suddenly he smiles, almost fatherly now.

"Besides, you sorry lot really got your priorities mixed here. Priority one, people, priority one - colonel, what's our exit strategy once the deed is done?"

((Yeah, I'm assuming he's a coloner for lack of information to the contrary.))

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 07:11:00 am »

"Hopefully it won't be by you"
He breaks off about a quarter, and tosses it to John. Once John catches it, he hands over the blasting cap separately.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 07:13:52 am »

"Running the fuck away? I don't know, I'm more used to trenches than stuff like this."
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

bawr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 07:21:50 am »

"Hey, now, no sensible soldier ever shoots down or across the chain of command, that's just counter-productive. *cough* Allegedly."

"Anyway, I'm not pretty enough for the Air Core, so. Correct me if I'm mistaken - but aren't gliders usually a one-way type of thing?."

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 07:24:32 am »

"Yeah. Most likely we'll have to carry it with us or hide it somewhere."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 07:54:04 am »

"Entering is usually easier than exiting. To be honest, there is no fixed exit strategy yet; presumably you won't cross the lines - instead, the lines will cross you. Once our covert operations have started showing some success, there will be another offensive - less bloody than the last, I hope. In the meantime, you'll receive supplies via airdrop - but some looting and scavenging won't hurt, either. You'll notice that these are not the usual trench weapons - these are spoils of war, left behind by the enemy. You'll be able to use their ammunition. And don't worry about that glider - they're usually shot to hell after one mission, anyway."
He tosses another shovel to Herm. "Don't dig too deep - once you're pinned down, you're fucked six ways to sunday. Don't think one sniper and one machine gun can do much against concentrated mortar fire. Stealth is your best friend."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2014, 07:57:15 am »

"Understood"

bawr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2014, 09:06:24 am »

John sighs.

"Well, shit. Okay, can I requisition a flare gun? In case we want to draw that mortar fire somewhere in particular, for one thing."

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 09:29:27 am »

Alexei paid attention to the request, and went outside, missing the talk. Probably he shouldn't do it. But the general idea is bright as day: go there, explode it, try to go back.
He took the shovel in his hands. tried to throw it out several times, mad a small swing to know how it feels like with this one, checked the sharpness of the edges. Good enough to chop some things.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 09:52:40 am »

While this talking had been going on, Alice had been checking her rifle . She'd noticed the little enemy emblem stamped on every piece of metal before he'd said they were all enemy. The weight was different, and the thick wooden stock was heavier than the thinner ones used by her forces. She'd adapt.

She'd have to look in finding a shotgun, as well.

Sir. Are there secondary targets, if we're expected to stay behind the enemy until the lines catch up to us?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

bawr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 10:40:57 am »

John turned and gave Alice a surprised look, and muttered something under his breath.

"Secondary, Jesus, fuck... well aren't you an eager beaver, sunshine."

A thought struck him. Hey, being a sniper tucked away a safe distance from the action - other people's action - isn't such a bad idea, all things considered.

"Well, a proactive sniper, that's something. Dibs on being a spotter."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:48:37 am by bawr »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8