Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24323 times)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2014, 08:27:28 am »

Actually, if it's not fun at all, it's not a video game.
Been lurkign on this thread for a while, couldn't be bothered to post before this, though.

Which kind of fun...fun or FUN!!!!!11111.
If it's fun then %100 agree, FUN kinda agree.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2014, 08:31:06 am »

Ordinary fun. Of course, if you find !!FUN!! to be fun, then that as well. If not, well, no.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2014, 08:50:28 am »

Ordinary fun. Of course, if you find !!FUN!! to be fun, then that as well. If not, well, no.

Only DF can make losing !!FUN!!

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:43 am »

Skyrim: For normies and the dumb post-mid-90's-born generation who have a shit taste for games, music and TV shows.

DF: For people in their 20's, pre-1994, who actually enjoy quality media entertainment and find no fulfilment in playing that Assassin's Creed/Skyrim/Call of Duty crap the normies play.

As a rule of thumb for me: If it doesn't require deep, strategical or logical thinking, it's not a video game.

That's a joke I don't get, right?

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2014, 02:16:54 pm »

Skyrim: For normies and the dumb post-mid-90's-born generation who have a shit taste for games, music and TV shows.

DF: For people in their 20's, pre-1994, who actually enjoy quality media entertainment and find no fulfilment in playing that Assassin's Creed/Skyrim/Call of Duty crap the normies play.

As a rule of thumb for me: If it doesn't require deep, strategical or logical thinking, it's not a video game.

Maybe I found it rather stupid, insulting, and very narrow minded.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2014, 06:25:25 pm »

I'm not joking one bit. Not this time. Who the Hell can play good games like DF and still find Skyrim interesting? Jesus, it's a single player MMORPG.

The only way you can enjoy bad food is if you've never tasted good one. It's the same here. Obviously, my tastes are broader than Dwarf Fortress, but seriously, Skyrim or Call Of Duty feel as fun as Minesweeper at this point.

By the way, I'm 26, if anyone cares.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2014, 06:38:34 pm »

I'm not joking one bit. Not this time. Who the Hell can play good games like DF and still find Skyrim interesting? Jesus, it's a single player MMORPG.

The only way you can enjoy bad food is if you've never tasted good one. It's the same here. Obviously, my tastes are broader than Dwarf Fortress, but seriously, Skyrim or Call Of Duty feel as fun as Minesweeper at this point.

Well you got half of RPG right. Please oh lord of great games tell me what game is part of thous refined video game tastes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:40:13 pm by locustgate »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2014, 08:10:19 pm »

Many people, apparently. The Skyrim thread in Other Games is several hundred pages long.

You can enjoy both, I don't see whats so odd about that.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2014, 09:08:08 pm »

normies

normies

Christ really?  ::) Someone sure thinks quite highly of themselves
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Stalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2014, 09:27:52 pm »

Trickman, you seem to take videogames way too seriously....
A medium-sized creature prone to artifact hunting, radiation and general stupidity.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2014, 10:19:23 pm »

I play DF and Skyrim. And not much else actually, at the moment. Skyrim is a very good game.

Also the other day I had a like $20 artisinal cheese and a small bag of cheetohs almost in one sitting, and they were both wonderful in their own ways. So the analogy is crap in addition to the original gameplay comments.

? All this means to me is that you have that much less of an excuse for insta-facepalm usage of terms like "normies."
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2014, 04:55:08 am »

? All this means to me is that you have that much less of an excuse for insta-facepalm usage of terms like "normies."
I don't live in an anglo country. Nobody ever uses that in my every day life, so it doesn't sound overused to me; it's one of my Internet-only words (I'm aware that you Americans have to put up with hearing people screaming "epic fail dood"/etc on the streets, but that does not happen in non-anglo countries). Also, that word means everything I want to say about those people: it sounds simple and derogatory.

I have been playing videogames on my free time for over 20 years, and now I just go at a game store with 50€ and find nothing that appeals to me. And I can assure you it's not that I've "outgrown videogames". I still find the ocasional gem that gets me hooked, but it's kinda sad that 99% of the games are crappy, simpleton clones of the classics of the early 2000's. Hardly no effort has been done to innovate since then by most mainstream companies.

It irritates me that I can no longer find good titles to play. Everything is simplified, every game has a 20 minute tutorial to show you how to press a button, everything looks targeted to stupid people. And games like that are actually selling more than ever. Who's to blame for this? Exactly. Those who keep buying that crap.

If bullshitting about them on the Internet during my coffee break is the only thing I can do for the moment, then so be it. Fuck those normies.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2014, 07:13:24 am »

I can't wait for the Angry Birds kids to reach their early twenties and start bitching about how the video games of the 2020's are utter crap compared to the flawless masterpieces they played in their youth.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2014, 09:42:15 am »

(I'm aware that you Americans have to put up with hearing people screaming "epic fail dood"/etc on the streets, but that does not happen in non-anglo countries).

Lies.

I can't wait for the Angry Birds kids to reach their early twenties and start bitching about how the video games of the 2020's are utter crap compared to the flawless masterpieces they played in their youth.

Pretty much. Every generation ever thinks it's the first and last to have sex and good music, though, so I guess it's high time video games got on the list.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2014, 11:26:20 am »

Pretty much. Every generation ever thinks it's the first and last to have sex and good music, though, so I guess it's high time video games got on the list.
My claim is legit. I enjoy modern music and modern films if they are of quality, as well as modern games. The problem is the gaming market is ridden with mediocre titles which get purchased by most of those who've been lately jumping into the gaming wagon. It's as if most of the advancement in making gaming a deeper, more artistic experience suddenly receeded when all the grandmas and aunts started playing the Wii and realized videogames were fun.

That said, it would be nice if you tried to actually discredit my opinion instead of trying to discredit me. Why is Skyrim a good game? It's bug-ridden and unpolished, the world is empty as a shell, characters are flat, the story is not innovative in the slightest, the gameplay has been invented 15 years ago, the game has chunks of boring shallow travelling empty landscapes in between the "good" bits, the combat gets boring after a few hours, and the skill system and general ruleset is completely broken and imbalanced.

Sure, adventure mode in DF has some of those problems as well, but it innovates in different directions, tries to offer new stuff, has much deeper gameplay, and is not marketed as a 60€ game. And it's (still) more than an add-on to the Fortress mode than anything, yet. When the next version comes out, DF's "extra", its adventure mode, will probably offer a much bigger experience than half the AAA open world games you guys are buying for 40-60 bucks each.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:28:34 am by Trickman »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7