Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24324 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 06:38:11 pm »

OP uses texture packs, and thinks we all should.
Method of execution?

hMMM, we need something particularly inhumane. I recommend....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 11:10:41 pm »

I would highly recommend
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 12:23:24 am »

Uh, by "mods and tools" I meant Dwarf therapist and dfhack. Trying to manage 140+ fort with vanilla interface will quickly turn into clerk/janitor simulator.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 12:28:15 am »

As stupid as this thread is, you shouldn't excuse shitty console ports simply because they are console ports. There are plenty of games that are far more stable than Skyrim, and there are mods that make skyrim for PC stable. Mods containing VERY SIMPLE STUFF.

Yep, the thread is obviously not on the serious side. However, it still bugs me how little did action-rpg genre evolve from Rogue.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 03:49:52 am »

Uh, by "mods and tools" I meant Dwarf therapist and dfhack. Trying to manage 140+ fort with vanilla interface will quickly turn into clerk/janitor simulator.
NEVAR

After mastering DF's vanilla interface, I'm too elitist to consider not using said interface.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 05:46:20 am »

As stupid as this thread is, you shouldn't excuse shitty console ports simply because they are console ports. There are plenty of games that are far more stable than Skyrim, and there are mods that make skyrim for PC stable. Mods containing VERY SIMPLE STUFF.

Yep, the thread is obviously not on the serious side. However, it still bugs me how little did action-rpg genre evolve from Rogue.
Rogue is the common ancestor of all roguelikes, but it has had little influence on games nowadays. Most modern games have evolved from the console games that were around when Rogue was made, not from the PC games of the time.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 07:10:40 am »

Method of execution?
  • Find suitable dark and cool room, optimally with a small hole in the ceiling
  • Place a nice bench in the middle of the room that you can easily strap him to
  • Strap him to it
  • For as long as it takes for him to die, drop a spoonful of alphabet soup on his face from above
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 09:26:33 am »

Method of execution?
  • Strap him to it
  • For as long as it takes for him to die, drop a spoonful of alphabet soup on his face from above

You... monster...

On the other hand, I'm going to utilize it as an execution chamber for nobles/unhappies in my current fort. Let's see how much damage dropping *Large Granite pot* full of ☼Giant Hamster Stew☼ 20 z-levels down does to dwarven heads. Thx for the idea!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 10:55:56 am »

Method of execution?
  • Strap him to it

You... monster...

On the other hand, I'm going to utilize it as an execution chamber for nobles/unhappies in my current fort. Let's see how much damage dropping *Large Granite pot* full of ☼Giant Hamster Stew☼ 20 z-levels down does to dwarven heads. Thx for the idea!

QUICKLY FETCH THE AMPHERSANDS HE HAS CORRUPTED OUR POWER
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Stalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 12:24:16 pm »

Dwarf Fortress unplayable without mods? What are you talking about? Did you even play vanilla?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:49:25 pm by Stalker »
A medium-sized creature prone to artifact hunting, radiation and general stupidity.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 01:20:55 pm »

Dwarf Fortress unplayable without mods? What are you talking about? Did you even play vanilla?

Skyrim is perfectly playable without them as well, OP was exaggerating for comedic effect. Both games have a reputation for... unintentional features, though.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 04:06:53 am »

I've got Skyrim on my PS3, it's perfectly playable. Yeah it freezes every now and again, but I grew up playing Spyro The Dragon with a scratched up disc, so I'm used to games freezing.

The Dragonborn DLC was really good, especially the area that allowed you to make a spider army. I had twenty fire spiders following me around, and I did the battle of Whiterun with the Stormcloaks, the spiders just ran through the city killing everything. It was awesome.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 02:54:01 pm »

I've got Skyrim on my PS3, it's perfectly playable. Yeah it freezes every now and again, but I grew up playing Spyro The Dragon with a scratched up disc, so I'm used to games freezing.
Yeah, Skyrim is a game on-par with other console games in playability and quality. For people used to PC games, that's the problem. :)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 03:30:01 pm »

Both skyrim and DF are extremely playable on PC without any mods. I played DF for something like 2 years without any mods at all, except changing the raws to allow eating sentients as ethical. Also fixing elven diplomats with one raw line. Otherwise, not even a different tileset of the same font, nothing. It was tons of fun.

Same for Skyrim. Like DF, youc an easily play through the whole game, even on PC, without any significant bugs. Yeah so horses run up cliffs, whatever. That's really trivial stuff. It didn't crash. It didn't give me infinite gold for turning in circles, etc. etc. Also, I don't even KNOW of any skyrim mods that would make the game more playable. All I've ever seen aroudn the internet are annoying skimpy female armor mods and ones that make whiterun into a christmas town, ones with random new redundant types of swords, etc.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 04:18:09 pm »

There's the Unofficial Skyrim Patch which fixes TONS of bugs. And the one that makes Heimskr shut up. And also the one that overhauls the UI to work better on PC. I think that's mostly it for helpful Skyrim mods, but they go a long way..

DF is perfectly PLAYABLE with no mods, but I start to get bored of valnilla after a while and most gameplay changing mods are really good and introduce new methods of playing.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7