Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24307 times)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 12:06:49 pm »

-snip-

How exactly does that "enhance" the depth of the gameplay? If the noble was insane or drunk on power, ok. But the game doesn't account for that that stuff yet. You can have the most kind, understanding baron around and they'll still send some poor sap to the gallows if they can't make the yak leather flute.

It is not the individual who became a noble; it is not the dwarf or his personality. The position, the power over the fortress guard, the social status; these corrupt the dwarf! Nobility is akin to a curse; it is not the noble's fault, but the position to which they are assigned. Usually, the curse is laid upon them by some shadowy, invisible force known as the "overseer" or "player". As soon as the status of nobility is stripped from the dwarf, so is the curse, and they are sane again. I do not know if this is really all too unrealistic.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 12:58:03 pm »

Thing is, these (negatives) are all fairly acceptable in DF, especially since some bugs can be downright funny (yak general for instance, even if we only got to hear about it in a devblog and it likely won't stay).

They aren't really acceptable for a triple-A title that is Skyrim though.

Indeed, some bugs are truly enhancing the depth of gameplay (e.g nobles' impossible demands like metal beds), and preferably, should not be fixed.

How exactly does that "enhance" the depth of the gameplay? If the noble was insane or drunk on power, ok. But the game doesn't account for that that stuff yet. You can have the most kind, understanding baron around and they'll still send some poor sap to the gallows if they can't make the yak leather flute.

It contributes to nobles' lazy, arrogant and hypocritical image, enhancing the depth of their charachter. Choose baron carelessly - and you've got an egoistic snob with a shortage of patience and a demand for pearl cabinets (or something just as ridicilous). Doesn't it just remind you of RL rich? Moreover it makes gameplay more challenging and fun, adding to an already extensive list of features.

Raptomex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Pastime
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 11:29:55 pm »

I find them hard to compare but DF has so much more depth.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 11:51:26 pm »

I love both games. Skyrim is fun because killing all the enemies and gaining all the levels is fun. DF is fun because building awesome forts and capturing goblins, brainwashing them and sending them against eldritch abominations is fun.

Although I like Skyrim's music more then DF's.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 08:18:34 am »

Help I can't drive cars anymore after trying trains!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 08:48:23 am »

And like in Skyrim, getting pummeled by a Giant in Dwarf Fortress can send you flying through the air as well. While watching fights in the arena I am pretty sure I saw someone get Fus Ro Dah'd by a giant, because they flew like 17 tiles away and got splattered against a wall.

You also get ambushed by random wildlife in both. :)

...And arrowed in the knee.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:51:05 am by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 09:04:01 am »

Skyrim:                           Dwarf Fortress
Unplayable without community mods and tools:                                  ✓                                        ✓

Heavily bugged:                                                                               ✓                                         ✓

User-hostile interface:                                                                      ✓                                         ✓

Skyrim
Unplayable: 99% stable and no need for mods or tools to finish the game nor correct bugs.
Heavily bugged: as stated above, 99% stable. At least on Xbox. 'Puter players are always complaining about the stability of a game the developers can't possibly test all machine configurations for. Get a console.
User-hostile: Again, maybe on PC. There was nothing hostile or even un-intuitive about the controller layout.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 12:08:24 pm »

Unplayable without community mods and tools:                                  ✓                                        ✓

Heavily bugged:                                                                               ✓                                         ✓

User-hostile interface:                                                                      ✓                                         ✓

Skyrim
Unplayable: 99% stable and no need for mods or tools to finish the game nor correct bugs.
Heavily bugged: as stated above, 99% stable. At least on Xbox. 'Puter players are always complaining about the stability of a game the developers can't possibly test all machine configurations for. Get a console.
User-hostile: Again, maybe on PC. There was nothing hostile or even un-intuitive about the controller layout.

Nice try

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 12:33:18 pm »

As stupid as this thread is, you shouldn't excuse shitty console ports simply because they are console ports. There are plenty of games that are far more stable than Skyrim, and there are mods that make skyrim for PC stable. Mods containing VERY SIMPLE STUFF.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 12:36:45 pm »

Skyrim

Nice try
Nice try at trying to convince dwarf fortress players that a game with real graphics is better than DF, haha.

Seriously, there's no way any game can best the complexity of DF. The intestines of giant whales are easier to navigate.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 12:43:22 pm »

Skyrim

Nice try
Nice try at trying to convince dwarf fortress players that a game with real graphics is better than DF, haha.

Seriously, there's no way any game can best the complexity of DF. The intestines of giant whales are easier to navigate.

...I want to see a dwarf fortress mod that makes the caverns into the intestines of a giant whale...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 12:46:55 pm »

Skyrim

Nice try

...I want to see a dwarf fortress mod that makes the caverns into the intestines of a giant whale...
...So I can save a fish-person while playing a sword-wielding elf child.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 03:16:45 pm »

As stupid as this thread is, you shouldn't excuse shitty console ports simply because they are console ports. There are plenty of games that are far more stable than Skyrim, and there are mods that make skyrim for PC stable. Mods containing VERY SIMPLE STUFF.

If anything, Elder Scrolls is a PC port, that's it's home. (That's the convention, right?)

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just never experience the problems others talk about, even on PC(#3 & #4). But nowadays with TES being on consoles too, you can certainly have a stable TES experience. It's an option.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 05:18:12 pm »

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just never experience the problems others talk about, even on PC(#3 & #4). But nowadays with TES being on consoles too, you can certainly have a stable TES experience. It's an option.

At the cost of things like graphics and modability, which is apparently a big deal when it comes to Bethesda games. Besides, console versions don't have to be stable or playable, as mentioned with regards to the PS3 version above.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 05:42:42 pm »

OP uses texture packs, and thinks we all should.
Method of execution?
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7