Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24298 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress
« on: June 10, 2014, 04:37:30 am »

Skyrim:                           Dwarf Fortress
Unplayable without community mods and tools:                                  ✓                                        ✓

Heavily bugged:                                                                               ✓                                         ✓

User-hostile interface:                                                                      ✓                                         ✓

Requires decent machine to run smoothly:                                          ✓                                         ✓

Abandoned Dwarven sites:                                                                 ✓                                         ✓

Elves as antagonists:                                                                         ✓                                         ✓

Memorable theme song:                                                                     ✓                                         ✓

Open-world sandbox gameplay:                                                          ✓                                         ✓

Dragons and battles against dragons:                                                  ✓                                         ✓

Giants and battles against giants:                                                        ✓                                         ✓

Giant metal homicidal statues:                                                             ✓                                         ✓

Violent finishing moves:                                                                       ✓                                         ✓
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Help! I cant play Skyrim anymore after having played DF! It just seems so...shallow...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:49:57 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 05:35:51 am »

skyrim is adventure mode only... and the world is even more unchanging than the world is in current DF
also, skyrim doesn't have giant thrips for you to battle last I checked (nor drinking of your own pus, which is really all I play adventure mode for)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:30:58 am »

Skyrim has a user-hostile interface? Since when?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:38:13 am »

Since release, it was one of the initial major complaints.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:04:37 am »

Unplayable without community mods and tools:                                  ✓                                        ✓

HERESY

BURN HIM

ALSO YOU'RE NEGLECTING THE EXISTENCE OF VARIOUS GIANT AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 08:10:33 am »

Thing is, these (negatives) are all fairly acceptable in DF, especially since some bugs can be downright funny (yak general for instance, even if we only got to hear about it in a devblog and it likely won't stay).

They aren't really acceptable for a triple-A title that is Skyrim though.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:47:01 am »

Thing is, these (negatives) are all fairly acceptable in DF, especially since some bugs can be downright funny (yak general for instance, even if we only got to hear about it in a devblog and it likely won't stay).

Like we are not modding in yak generals

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 10:49:30 am »

Like we are not modding in yak generals

Like I didn't already have a yak general in a yak fort in a dwarf parody of animal farm
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:53:17 am »

HERESY

BURN HIM

ALSO YOU'RE NEGLECTING THE EXISTENCE OF VARIOUS GIANT AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Warning, image is giant and Australian.)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 10:55:11 am »

If Skyrim had a Fortress mode you might be onto something.  ;)

I found Skyrim to be quite playable despite not using any mods or community tools, however.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 11:21:30 am »

I agree with Urist, I've found Skyrim to be quite playable without community mods - and I've been playing it on the PS3. You know, the version that randomly freezes and the developers have said "Whelp, we're sorry, but we have no idea what the problem is, so if it freezes on you, load your save and don't do exactly the same thing/carry exactly the same stuff/have exactly the same spells favorited and you might avoid it happening again. Oh, and disable autosaving."

On the plus side, I'm guessing that if we didn't have the physics-immune horses in Skyrim, we probably wouldn't be able to play Cliffhorse.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 11:29:27 am »

Indeed, some bugs are truly enhancing the depth of gameplay (e.g nobles' impossible demands like metal beds), and preferably, should not be fixed.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 11:31:59 am »

I agree with Urist, I've found Skyrim to be quite playable without community mods - and I've been playing it on the PS3. You know, the version that randomly freezes and the developers have said "Whelp, we're sorry, but we have no idea what the problem is, so if it freezes on you, load your save and don't do exactly the same thing/carry exactly the same stuff/have exactly the same spells favorited and you might avoid it happening again. Oh, and disable autosaving."

On the plus side, I'm guessing that if we didn't have the physics-immune horses in Skyrim, we probably wouldn't be able to play Cliffhorse.

Wow, the discovery never ends on these forums... Thx for the link!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 11:35:36 am »

Wow, the discovery never ends on these forums... Thx for the link!

I think I saw a screenshot with someone riding a horse on a nearly vertical cliff face.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 11:41:27 am »

Indeed, some bugs are truly enhancing the depth of gameplay (e.g nobles' impossible demands like metal beds), and preferably, should not be fixed.

How exactly does that "enhance" the depth of the gameplay? If the noble was insane or drunk on power, ok. But the game doesn't account for that that stuff yet. You can have the most kind, understanding baron around and they'll still send some poor sap to the gallows if they can't make the yak leather flute.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7