Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24300 times)

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrim vs Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2014, 01:48:06 pm »

In all fairness TES was never particularly good as an RPG-system and the 'casualization' is pretty much damage control. It pretty much felt as if some tabletop-nerd jizzed himself when he realized he could do 500 different stats and have a computer do the bookkeeping and inadvertently created a system were bunny hopping everywhere was a viable leveling method. Everything after that is just trimming the fat. I mean, I was butthurt when Oblivion decided maces and axes were the same thing (even if they pretty much are), and then when Skyrim combined strength and constitution into Health (even if they pretty much are), but looking back, nothing of value was lost in the process, other than some of the roleplaying elements of chargen (I liked the idea of my character being born under The Lady, but hey, I can still pretend). Bethesda didn't sacrifice their soul to appeal more to 'stuuped norrmel peelpleds,' or you know, the surgeons and rocket scientists of tomorrow. Hell, in terms of game system Skyrim took a massive leap forward just in allowing your character to ride a horse and hit things with your sword at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:56:50 pm by Dyret »

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2014, 03:59:16 pm »

I like videogames and I am quite "nerdy" myself, but when someone boasts "nerd/geek/gamer pride" or saying that they are "true" or whatever it just makes me thinks "huh?".

So I like this hobby, I like certain games and dont really like others. As a matter of fact I would go as far as saying that I dislike most of the games out there. Still I wouldnt consider them bad per se, just not targetted at me. And again I wouldnt say that people who play casual games are stupid or anything, they just dont put as much interest and effort in this one hobby.

Of course there are certain games whose existence and popularity just piss me off. Because they are more scams than games and they get really annoying with their viral advertising campaings.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2014, 12:14:29 am »

In all fairness TES was never particularly good as an RPG-system and the 'casualization' is pretty much damage control. It pretty much felt as if some tabletop-nerd jizzed himself when he realized he could do 500 different stats and have a computer do the bookkeeping and inadvertently created a system were bunny hopping everywhere was a viable leveling method. Everything after that is just trimming the fat. I mean, I was butthurt when Oblivion decided maces and axes were the same thing (even if they pretty much are), and then when Skyrim combined strength and constitution into Health (even if they pretty much are), but looking back, nothing of value was lost in the process, other than some of the roleplaying elements of chargen (I liked the idea of my character being born under The Lady, but hey, I can still pretend). Bethesda didn't sacrifice their soul to appeal more to 'stuuped norrmel peelpleds,' or you know, the surgeons and rocket scientists of tomorrow. Hell, in terms of game system Skyrim took a massive leap forward just in allowing your character to ride a horse and hit things with your sword at the same time.

i comend this post
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]