Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30

Author Topic: Jack's Simple BYOR: Game over! Town win!  (Read 53430 times)

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR [12/12]: Day 1 - Contrived Power Explanation
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2014, 11:34:48 pm »

Jiokuy If you could pick your allies for a scum team of 3 (you and two others), who would they be?

@Flabort: Well Lord Toaster is an obvious pick myself, he seems exceptionally skilled at mafia. For my other pick I would pick a newish player who has played at least one game, there is a large amount of leeway new players can get away with.

Jiokuy: You're kinda new, but have some experience with complicated games. What advice would you give to our new or BM-only players.

@4maskwolf: These games have a faster pace, keep on your toes. Don't be afraid to use your one-shots, if you die you can't use them at all. And,

Jiokuy This makes two games in one season. What do you think your prospects for victory are?

@Flabort: It's a toss up. I doubt I will survive to the end game, however victory does not require survival.

MyOwnWorstEnemy: If you could have any role, which one would you pick?

Toaster: How do you think the wide variance in player skill will affect the game?

Persus13: In your oppinion, what is the most reliable scumtell.

4maskwolf: Under what circumstances would you lynch a claimed Jester?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2014, 11:41:40 pm »

4maskwolf: Under what circumstances would you lynch a claimed Jester?
If I suspected their claim was a scum trick, I would lynch them. If there was no indication of foul play, I would ignore them and continue the game. Jesters are a pain in the ass, in my personal opinion.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2014, 11:54:19 pm »

flabort:
MyOwnWorstEnemy Who, besides yourself, is your worst enemy? Which player, in this game or not, gives you the most grief?
Some of the more experienced players cause me grief because I can't stand up to them, but that's about it.

Jiokuy:
MyOwnWorstEnemy: If you could have any role, which one would you pick?
Hmm... I'd probably go with a role with a protect. I'm not a very aggressive player and I'd like to keep the aggressive ones around for as long as possible.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2014, 12:34:31 am »

Hapah Who do you most suspect at this early stage? It's OK if you just point with your gut feelings.
I guess you, for asking who I suspect 15 minutes into the game on the second post.

Quote from: flabort
Everyone else If you had a night 0 inspection result, and it told you who a scum was, would you reveal right away?
Oh yeah, definitely. Maybe not with the first post or anything but definitely first day, let the target post before to see if they claim Miller. If they don't, you've probably got them dead to rights.

Hapah: Do you expect there to be non-town, non-mafia factions in this game?
I'd be a little surprised if there wasn't at least one. Is that one you?

Hapah, Jiokuy: You two are old players who haven't played in a while, correct (discounting Supernatural 6)?
Yeah, I think it's been 10 months or so for me, maybe? Don't know exactly how long but apparently I've lost my touch, lol.

Toaster: It's been a while! Who do you think is the strongest player in the game? Why?

PTDFun:
Quote from: PTD
4) I am going to try to learn from my experience of the lynches of last game. In particular, when I joined the BM I expected this game to be more rational than it is.
I haven't read that game, what happened? Bottom-line it for me.

flabort:
I most fear the kind of scum team with a revive.
Why? What makes that scary?

Hapah Hypothetical situation. You are a third party with the goal of making the game last to night 5. You have a oneshot day convert. When do you chose to use it? How do you apply it to make the game last as long as possible?
Hold onto it until someone else claims a Day power. If I've got one, I'm probably not the only one. Unless something obvious, like someone going to Vig me in the night or somethin'.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2014, 01:16:45 am »

A scum team with a revive is super scary, because if you kill them once, they don't flip; and the very fact that they revive leads credence to their towny-ness, so so they're less likely to be actually wiped out. More likely to survive to the end.

Jiokuy When you say "Use your one shots", are you implying everybody has a one shot? Do you suspect that everyone has a one shot? Do you think this will have any impact on the game?

MyOwnWorstEnemy Are you sure a protect is the best role for you? I would think that a Jailkeep would fit better. Also, if you were going to buddy somebody for their own protection, who would you buddy?

Hapah I'm not entirely satisfied with your answers to my questions. However, you do answer the majority of the second, so I'm not going to press the case. As for the first, asking about suspects 15 minutes in is my traditional opening question, trying to read opening gut suspicions. Suspecting me for that question also seems to be traditional.

PTDfun Who do you suspect of being a third party? Are you going to hunt third parties? Are you a third party? Is hunting third parties relevant to hunting scum?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2014, 02:45:34 am »

Jiokuy When you say "Use your one shots", are you implying everybody has a one shot? Do you suspect that everyone has a one shot? Do you think this will have any impact on the game?
In The Battle for Orbfalls I died on the third night with both a one-shot protect (that could self target), and a one-shot roleblock unused. I was cautioning new player against saving up or overvaluing one-shots, else wise they may not get a chance to use them.

Also, given the nature of BYOR and the balancing simplicity of one-shots, it would not surprise me if this game has a larger then usual number of one-shots in it.

Hapah, Jiokuy: You two are old players who haven't played in a while, correct (discounting Supernatural 6)?
I've played in The Battle for Orbfalls, and Supernatural 7. My last full game (on this board) prior to that was in 2012. I try to keep up with the reading though.

Hapah If you were a Vig, who would you kill?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2014, 07:29:20 am »

Quote from: TolyK
EPenguin, how would you rate our playstyle? Not on a scale of 1 to 10, I mean several adjectives.
Its more fastpaced than I'm used to. (I'm used to 1-2 week days). I'm also accustomed to spammy, joke laden RVS's. But you guys seem to prefer a random question stage. I don't mind at all though, it cuts to the serious phase of the game quicker, (which is necessary given the timeframe.)
So you prefer a more laid-back game?

TolyK:
MOWE, if you had a roleblock and you were pretty suspicious of someone, or if you had a protect and were pretty sure someone would be targeted, which would you choose?
I'd probably choose to protect the person if I were reasonably sure they were town and would be targeted. For example, if they were active and led a lynch on scum.
But what if you aren't reasonably sure, would you instead roleblock someone else?
I mean, if you were 80% sure someone was scum, and 80% sure someone would be killed, would you protect or roleblock?

Toaster, TolyK, Varee, PTDfun, EPenguin Those are some very different answers to one question. If each of you had a daykill to use day 1 only, would you use it? Who would you use it on?
Probably, since it's Day 1 and we basically get a free "lynch" that skips a night, but I seem to rarely get good reads on D1... I'd probably shoot the person we were about to lynch.
If I were scum, though - definitely, and probably second-in-line in that case.

TolyK: What's the last game you played.
Last game I played in - Iron Diadem, but it Did Not Finish. (Sad panda face)
Last finished game - BYOR12.

TolyK:
I like how you didn't answer my question, and voting me after I voted you is just icing on the cake. Will you please answer it?

And to answer your question... no, I'm not a Mafia-Ally, and it will be harder due to another reason.

I didn't much want to give a scum player advice on how to play their role, but anyway...

I seem to have a reputation for being unreadable and producing null-tells.  As far as hints... I can't really come up with any hints as to how I could communicate that without also communicating that to the town.  I'd probably play like a survivor and try to avoid both NK and lynch, though a Mafia-Ally eating a lynch is (for the Mafia team) better than a Mafioso taking it.
You do seem to have that reputation, yes. Answer is logical, but doesn't really tell me anything.
[sarcasm]Thank you for the advice.[/sarcasm]

Quote from: Toaster
4mask:
Persus: if you got to pick an ideal scum team for this game, who would you pick? Why would you pick them?
Toaster: same as Persus

Hm.  With 12 players I would assume a 3-player scum team.  As such, I'll say TolyK and Hapah.  TolyK because every time I've shared a chat with him has turned out to be an enjoyable game, and Hapah because he's a bro.
This I can confirm, yes.

TolyK: What type of scum team do you think we have? Do you expect any third parties?
Um. I think we have a normal Mafia team, if that's what you mean. I'd guess one third party, maybe two, since this is a "simple byor" and we shouldn't be getting extravagant roles.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2014, 07:41:27 am »

Epenguin:@Varee: How much mafia experience do you have?

Not much actually, as i have said i only play classic mafia before and never any byor

Toaster:They know what they signed up for.  If you want to be good scum, you can't have regrets.

I wouldnt call it regret, it is more like hesitation. I sometime feel that it might make thing less !!FUN!! if you know what i mean. but after i do something then no regrets man, no regrets.

Also i don't really want to know which role people have but random byor power is what i am worry about so that why i made that question.

One more thing i might be posting less as it is very hard to quote people on the mobile, so if it is ok i will just write names instead of a quote
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

PTDfun

• Bay Watcher
  • Blob...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2014, 12:05:36 pm »

The first 24 hours of the day came to an end, and the volunteers (except EPenguin, who claimed to be used to days that last for whole weeks) were becoming increasingly dependent on the room's one coffee maker.
I'm guessing this is because EPenguin is from Antarctica.

flabort: Thanks for the answers, but actually I meant these ones
Everyone else If you had a night 0 inspection result, and it told you who a scum was, would you reveal right away?
Toaster, TolyK, Varee, PTDfun, EPenguin Those are some very different answers to one question. If each of you had a daykill to use day 1 only, would you use it? Who would you use it on?

Toaster: PTD is fine. It stands for platetheduchess - reference to the scene in Alice in Wonderland where the cook keeps tossing plates at the Duchess. I skimmed half of iPick (BYOR) on the notable games archive last night. I'll take a gander at the other two.

4maskwolf: What do you mean by the following phrase?
Since I be decided to actually play this game after being told my strategy was shit by Jack

Hapah:
Hapah: Do you expect there to be non-town, non-mafia factions in this game?
I'd be a little surprised if there wasn't at least one. Is that one you?
I'm as vanilla as this game gets. How about yourself? Are you a third party? Do you expect a serial killer variant?

PTDFun:
Quote from: PTD
4) I am going to try to learn from my experience of the lynches of last game. In particular, when I joined the BM I expected this game to be more rational than it is.
I haven't read that game, what happened? Bottom-line it for me.
I replaced in after 260+ posts. As soon as I joined, LARD told me he was suspicious because my predecessor was somewhat inactive. I caught up with the game, was active, and build a case against TheDarkStar (he was an overly defensive player and I took this for scumminess). I pushed hard against TheDarkStar. He was replaced by 4maskwolf, who decided to vote against me to create a tie. Then Tiruin jumped on the bandwagon and I got lynched. That night Jack A T got killed. This left 2 inactive players, two active mafia (LARD and Tiruin), and 4maskwolf. I had also said that Tiruin looked scummy early on.

Moral of the story: My gut confused poor play with scumminess. Somewhat inactive scum are harder to get at because I have less to work with. If a player is irrational about their votes they are scummy.

flabort:
PTDfun Who do you suspect of being a third party? Are you going to hunt third parties? Are you a third party? Is hunting third parties relevant to hunting scum?
I don't have any suspects right now. I wasn't planning on outright hunting 3rd parties, but I'd prefer to not lynch a jester and it would be worth knowing about a cult, if there is one. I'm not a third party. It's at least as relevant as POE. I asked the question because I'm new to this type of game. I asked Hapah because he hadn't posted yet.
Wand of Not Touching - The target thinks they have been poked. Range of one cm.
I want one of these.

EPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2014, 01:14:26 pm »

Varee:
Were your previous games on a forum, or in real life? If a forum, where? About how many games have you played?
Tip: Bold people's names instead of enlarging them. I'm confident that can be done from a phone, just use the tags [/ b], without the space in the second tag.

Flabort
Hapah I'm not entirely satisfied with your answers to my questions. However, you do answer the majority of the second, so I'm not going to press the case. As for the first, asking about suspects 15 minutes in is my traditional opening question, trying to read opening gut suspicions. Suspecting me for that question also seems to be traditional.
lolwut? How can anyone form gut feelings about most of the players, after only two posts? Do you expect people to have premonitions based on just the playerlist?

TolyK
Quote from: TolyK
EPenguin, how would you rate our playstyle? Not on a scale of 1 to 10, I mean several adjectives.
Its more fastpaced than I'm used to. (I'm used to 1-2 week days). I'm also accustomed to spammy, joke laden RVS's. But you guys seem to prefer a random question stage. I don't mind at all though, it cuts to the serious phase of the game quicker, (which is necessary given the timeframe.)
So you prefer a more laid-back game?
Anything but. I just like having more time to talk and deliberate.

EPenguin Do you get any information from MafiaScum? Do you get any information from EpicMafia? Where have you played mafia before?
I've read through a good bit of the mafiascum wiki, but that's not where I initially learned mafia from. I've also played some EpicMafia on and off, but that's not my site of origin either. I used to play mafia on the Wizards of the Coast forums, they had a little subforum tucked away called Paranoia Paradise. That's where I started and played most of my games. (For those who don't know, Wizards of the Coast is a game company that makes Magic: The Gathering, D&D, and a handful of other stuff.) Unfortunately, due to a blunder by WotC, any record of most of the games I've played in were accidentally deleted in a forum changeover. There's still a record of games before fall of 2009, which includes some of my early games. But basically all my games as a non newb are gone. I can get you links if you would like.

EPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2014, 01:16:43 pm »

EBWOP:
@Varee: Use these without the spaces : [b ]Stuff to be bolded goes here [ /b].

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2014, 01:17:47 pm »

PFW

Well, why weren't you satisfied? Let's dig into it a little.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

EPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2014, 01:21:26 pm »

We need more time.

Vote: Extension[/color

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2014, 01:31:09 pm »

Just do it in bold, like this: Extend (yes, I also want an extension).

Otherwise tools like the "LurkerTracker" will get fooled, and it's just generally a pain.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2014, 01:51:35 pm »

flabort: Thanks for the answers, but actually I meant these ones

flabort:
I don't have any suspects right now. I wasn't planning on outright hunting 3rd parties, but I'd prefer to not lynch a jester and it would be worth knowing about a cult, if there is one. I'm not a third party. It's at least as relevant as POE. I asked the question because I'm new to this type of game. I asked Hapah because he hadn't posted yet.
OK, answers to my own questions, take two.
1) Yeah, I'd probably reveal. I'd probably go about it wrong and get lynched for it, but I would reveal.
2) No, I wouldn't trust myself to kill the right person, unless I was scum, in which case whoever I felt like would be the right person.

Good, good, I trust that means that you'll be working for the greater good, then.

Flabort
lolwut? How can anyone form gut feelings about most of the players, after only two posts? Do you expect people to have premonitions based on just the playerlist?

EPenguin Do you get any information from MafiaScum? Do you get any information from EpicMafia? Where have you played mafia before?
I've read through a good bit of the mafiascum wiki, but that's not where I initially learned mafia from. I've also played some EpicMafia on and off, but that's not my site of origin either. I used to play mafia on the Wizards of the Coast forums, they had a little subforum tucked away called Paranoia Paradise. That's where I started and played most of my games. (For those who don't know, Wizards of the Coast is a game company that makes Magic: The Gathering, D&D, and a handful of other stuff.) Unfortunately, due to a blunder by WotC, any record of most of the games I've played in were accidentally deleted in a forum changeover. There's still a record of games before fall of 2009, which includes some of my early games. But basically all my games as a non newb are gone. I can get you links if you would like.

I'm pretty much testing if people do have such, yes. And gut feelings do not depend on reading any posts, do they? They're felt with your gut, not your eyes.

No, I don't need links. Interesting, though, I didn't know WotC had a mafia section.

PFW

Well, why weren't you satisfied? Let's dig into it a little.
Hapah Hypothetical situation. You are a third party with the goal of making the game last to night 5. You have a oneshot day convert. When do you chose to use it? How do you apply it to make the game last as long as possible?
Your answer doesn't really touch on the emphasized part.
Also... is that posting from watch? That's a new one on me.

I will support this Extension.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30