Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: day-to-day routine  (Read 770 times)

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
day-to-day routine
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:46:09 am »

I'm wondering if anybody has figured out the Dwarven daily routine.
IRL, my routine is basically:
1) Bed
2) meal
3) work
4) meal
5) work
6) meal
7) drink
8) bed

(more or less)

Do dwarves have a similar routine that they cycle through?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: day-to-day routine
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 12:23:55 pm »

Time in fortress mode doesn't work like time in our world.  Dwarves get thirsty four times per season, or once every 21 days, and eat twice per season, or once every 42 days.

Dwarves don't have an internal routine so much as a set of internal counters that are all ticking up/down at the same time.  When their hunger, thirst, and drowsiness counters all reach critical levels together, the dwarf has to prioritize which one to take care of first (and I'm pretty sure thirst wins, so long as they aren't so tired that they collapse on the spot); otherwise, if only one of their counters is critical, that's what they'll take care of.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Icecoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:52 pm »

1. Bed
2. Drink
3. Meal
4. Attend party
5. On break
6. Urist McDwarf has been struck down.
"This is a well crafted billon statue of Urist McChickenlover.
The item is a well-designed image Urist McChickenlover the dwarf and a chicken in billon.
Urist McChickenlover is embracing the chicken."

Colony Alpha <<<Warhammer 40k, Squats, Orkz, Eldar and more... >>>

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:44:15 pm »

Dwarves don't have an internal routine so much as a set of internal counters that are all ticking up/down at the same time.

Has anyone ever broken this down?  Some questions that leap immediately to mind:

- Do traits effect the counters?
- Does level of exertion (time spent mining, vs time spent idling) effect the counters?
- Does Idling (or jail time, or sleeping) count as break time?
- Does partying (wither attending or organizing) count as break time?

My personal schedule includes more breaks than work, and more meetings than breaks.  But I waste the vast majority of my time pathing through a sub-optimal fortress layout.  I like to think the work I *DO* do is of a high enough quality to offset the vast amounts of time spent not doing it.  And honestly, I probably would not be able to put out at as high a level if I had to put out at a higher volume.  So, time "wasted" is not time wasted.  And honestly^2, time "wasted" is mostly time spent learning about work.

Except for the sub-optimal pathing.  That shits just wasted.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 12:48:45 pm »

Pretty sure level of exertion affects the counters.

Wiki states that partying does not count as a break as dwarves can and will take a break from partying.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 03:11:37 pm by sal880612m »
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 03:05:23 pm »

Wiki stats that partying does not count as a break as dwarves can and will take a break from partying.

Man, I've been there, too.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:52:22 am »

seriously though, does anybody have any science around how often these activities are required?

I'm trying to optimize little pods within my fortress.  I group Dwarves by activity type and dwarves with job activities that share the same stockpiles generally have workshops near eachother, bedrooms near eachother, a dining room, food stockpile and booze stockpile, etc. all in the same tight area.

for example, I have a magma cistern on z-0, forges and smelters on z-1 (organized around a quantum stockpile that accepts ores, flux stone, and metal bars), 8 bedrooms arrayed around a small dining room on z-2, and a food stockpile and a booze stockpile on z-3.

I generally make married pairs do jobs in the same pod regardless of their original skills, which gives me around 10 - 14 dwarves working in each pod.

I want to make this more efficient, and I'm wondering if the stockpiles should be closer to the workshops, for example.  The only way to know is to know if Dwarves drink more than sleep, sleep more than eat, break more than sleep, etc.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »

Dwarves drink twice as often as they do anything else, so put them in a squad and let them carry waterskins full of their preferred booze (which they will grab automatically if they can).  Drinking from a waterskin not only saves trips to the booze stockpile, it takes orders of magnitude less time to finish drinking.  You can't optimize any better than this.  Caveat: fucking miners and hunters and woodcutters can't do it because of that elfing uniform bug.

Apart from drinking, I don't have exact numbers.  They seem to eat about once per sleep, and they go on break less often than they sleep.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 11:16:43 pm »

I think it can actually vary from dwarf to dwarf. I seem to remember reading something about there being a lazy tag that a dwarf can have that will make them far more likely to take breaks and sleep etc?