Poll

How should we handle duels?

Play through DN or DevPro
- 4 (15.4%)
Freeform Duels/Storydriven duels
- 7 (26.9%)
IRC Chatroom
- 2 (7.7%)
Which time period should this be done in?
- 1 (3.8%)
Before GX
- 5 (19.2%)
During GX
- 3 (11.5%)
After GX
- 4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42

Author Topic: Yu-Gi-Oh GX: New Beginning OOC Thread  (Read 45638 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Yu-Gi-Oh GX: New Beginning OOC Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 08:21:35 pm »

It occurs to me, how do we want to adjudicate duels?  I don't see anything in the OP yet.

-snip-
#3 is the only one I'm really against. I'm disinclined towards #2; generally, it's best if forum games can exist entirely within the Bay12 website. #1 sounds best, but #4 could be fun, too (and it's certainly accurate towards the anime), but it would be...tough to balance.

-snip-
You missed one.
5. Play through Duel on in an IRC room.
Pro: Same as 2
Con: Players must be online concurrently.
I know of one that could be used by the name of Chatzy that allows for custom messages (ex. Leaving the room give the prompt that the person forfeited the duel).
The Chat room could be used with 2, to cover players who cannot use the YGO Pro client and for multi-person duels.
Eh. It sounds like an inferior blend of 1 and 2, with most of the weaknesses of each, none of theie strengths, and no new bonuses.

Well, I was thinking either 1 or 4, myself. Also, application form:
Name:
Duel Spirits: sees them? y/n
Backstory:
Deck:
Anything I should add?
I agree that the Duel Spirits one is kinda silly to add.

I'll make a character in a bit. First I need to settle on an idea. I'll add the deck once we decide how we're doing duels; I'm probably going to be basing it off of a default deck, but if we're doing a freeform, story-driven duel system, I'll take more liberties.
While we're at it, how much are we going to allow flagrant rules-breaking in any given duel system?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 08:24:59 pm »

While we're at it, how much are we going to allow flagrant rules-breaking in any given duel system?

I'd prefer to stick within the official rules so anyone new can actually play the game.

I agree that the Duel Spirits one is kinda silly to add.

Pretty sure the reason it was added was due to Duel Spirits playing a large part in GX.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2014, 08:52:02 pm »

I understand that part, but the entry is kinda silly. It's almost like having a Pokemon game where the character sheet has a "Does your character try to catch Pokemon?" entry. Sure, you can play if you say no, but you're not going to say no unless you're trying to buck the trend.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2014, 08:59:50 pm »

I understand that part, but the entry is kinda silly. It's almost like having a Pokemon game where the character sheet has a "Does your character try to catch Pokemon?" entry. Sure, you can play if you say no, but you're not going to say no unless you're trying to buck the trend.

I think you can play Yu-Gi-Oh pretty easily without a Duel Spirit. You just will do other stuff like Shadow Games instead of Spirit Duels or something/
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 09:11:50 pm »

I think you can play Yu-Gi-Oh pretty easily without a Duel Spirit. You just will do other stuff like Shadow Games instead of Spirit Duels or something/
And you can battle Pokemon without capturing any wild. Doesn't mean you'd want to, though.
Sig

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2014, 09:14:22 pm »

And you can battle Pokemon without capturing any wild. Doesn't mean you'd want to, though.

I ran through half a game of pokemon with only my starter before I caught a single pokemon through my own desire to see how far through the game I could get before my starter fainted.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2014, 09:15:53 pm »

Name: Alexandria Perston
Appearance: A blue-haired girl, tall, lips seemingly permanently smeared by lip gloss.
Duel Spirits: Sure.
Backstory: Came from a rich family who was able to buy her whatever cards she wanted as a child. She was transferred to the GX Academy from another duel school for unknown reasons.
Deck: Gates of the Underworld Structure Deck
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2014, 09:16:43 pm »

Pretty sure there's a difference in the levels of 'necessary to play the game' there. Duel Spirits are basically entirely fluff, as far as I can tell.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2014, 09:18:39 pm »

True, but duel spirits are a bit less essential to card games than catching Pokemon to Pokemon battles.  Glancing over the wiki's entry on duel spirits, it seems like a lot of people don't have the ability to perceive them in general - maybe their own duel spirit partner, if that.  On the flip side, if the plot ends up taking us to the Spirit World, or if certain powerful spirits manifest themselves like Honest, then even those insensitive to the spirit world will still be able to perceive them.  Actually, it seems like even in GX itself, they weren't really important until the last two seasons. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:20:40 pm by Culise »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2014, 11:17:37 pm »

Catching wild Pokemon isn't actually vital to progress in a forum adaptation, when you can trade. I mean, it's less vital. And if watching some of GX years ago plus watching one of the Abridged Serieses more lately tells me anything, they're important to the plot.
Sig

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2014, 03:04:33 am »

Sorry if double post.  Had to ask one question, an edit wouldn't get the attention of anyone who had already clicked on the thread.  Question is as follows: Is this going to start before the exams and we have to duel through those, or is it going to start after the exams?

Name: Calagon Bahaum
Appearance: His appearance makes it difficult to tell his gender at a glance.  Due to this and to dodge bullying for it, he wears his hair longer in order so that his ambiguous appearance is blamed on the hair.  The hair is dyed black, but there are a few strands of silver hair buried within it.  His eyes are brown, but with a couple small streaks of red and blue visible under only close examination.  He stands a 5'7" and has a light tan skin tone.
Duel Spirits: Partially.  He can sense they are there, and they can imprint the need to perform certain actions on him, but he cannot see them.  Primary spirit that speaks to him is Lord of Dragons.
Backstory: [Pending]

Spoiler: Cards (click to show/hide)
I'd be interested in knowing how you got those values. I'll probably use the 600DP for starter deck limit, but first I need to know how one gets those values.
Catching wild Pokemon isn't actually vital to progress in a forum adaptation, when you can trade. I mean, it's less vital. And if watching some of GX years ago plus watching one of the Abridged Serieses more lately tells me anything, they're important to the plot.
While important to the plot, you probably won't be seeing them much until your 2nd year, if then. Before that, they'll just be there for fluff, and perhaps slightly important to the plot.
So, what is the vote total on when this is being done?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2014, 05:30:32 am »

Oh yeah, just noticed. Zanzetkuken, take out Blue-Eyes. From what I remember, Duel Academy was set up by Kaiba, who owns all 3 in-universe blue-eyes.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2014, 08:55:14 am »

I'l think or generate a name later today, but I'm gonna dig out my old cards and make a deck as a note, I guess.

Name: Florentino Byrd
Appearance: A tall man with spiky brown hair and brown eyes.
Duel Spirits: sees them? n
Backstory: Likey playing card games and is alright at it. So he decided to join up with the academy. Comes from a relatively average family - well enough off, but nothing really special.
Deck:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eh, I'l add the rest of them later. Anything look wrong with my deck so far, besides the fact that it's propably horrendously weak compared to everyone else? :P
EDOOT: Replaced Giant Trunade with Big Bang Shot.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:35:39 am by darkpaladin109 »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2014, 09:00:53 am »

Not as far as I can see, no.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2014, 09:27:53 am »

Oh yeah, just noticed. Zanzetkuken, take out Blue-Eyes. From what I remember, Duel Academy was set up by Kaiba, who owns all 3 in-universe blue-eyes.

All three usable, the fourth was torn in half.  Anyway, they could have released maybe a couple more in a later set... I'll change it if you don't allow that...

I'd be interested in knowing how you got those values. I'll probably use the 600DP for starter deck limit, but first I need to know how one gets those values.

So, what is the vote total on when this is being done?

1- Used the purchase mechanic example I created here.

2- Mine was start before, but the second year is when he shows up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42