Poll

How should we handle duels?

Play through DN or DevPro
- 4 (15.4%)
Freeform Duels/Storydriven duels
- 7 (26.9%)
IRC Chatroom
- 2 (7.7%)
Which time period should this be done in?
- 1 (3.8%)
Before GX
- 5 (19.2%)
During GX
- 3 (11.5%)
After GX
- 4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42

Author Topic: Yu-Gi-Oh GX: New Beginning OOC Thread  (Read 45634 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Yu-Gi-Oh GX: New Beginning OOC Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 02:16:00 pm »

I would prefer it if we used the latest banlist just so we avoid broken combos

There's the pure Illegal, but the Forbidden list has three different formats, some cards that are forbidden in one is limited in another. (example, Self-Destruct Button is Unlimited in OCG, Forbidden in TCG Advanced, and Limited in TCG Traditional)  I want to know the format.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:18:29 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 02:22:38 pm »

Yes I know, what I meant by the latest banlist was the latest one for the TCG advanced format.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 02:42:12 pm »

Considering that there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a forbidden card in GX, excluding cards with that in their name, TCG Traditional. That's the one where Forbidden->Limited, Limited->Semi-Limited, and Semi-Limited->Unlimited, right?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »

Considering that there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a forbidden card in GX, excluding cards with that in their name, TCG Traditional. That's the one where Forbidden->Limited, Limited->Semi-Limited, and Semi-Limited->Unlimited, right?

Actually, it is only Forbidden->Limited.  And actually, Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End is said to be forbidden in GX, so GX uses either OCG (East Asia) or TCG advanced (Europe, Austrailia, North and Latin America) rules.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:51:03 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 02:50:09 pm »

What episode was that? I don't recall this, but then, I don't remember a lot of things. We'll be using TCG Advanced, then.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 02:53:24 pm »

What episode was that?

16, 19, 49, or 75.  Can't find the specific one, but it only appeared in those four.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 03:32:38 pm »

Ayyo', here for the party guys.

Since it looks like this is character driven, how are we getting our cards?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 03:34:16 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 03:38:30 pm »

Ayyo', here for the party guys.

Since it looks like this is character driven, how are we getting our cards?
I assume we'll make a deck at the beggining, and will be able to buy packs from the shop.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 03:43:59 pm »

I assume we'll make a deck at the beggining, and will be able to buy packs from the shop.

Speaking of which, should we go ahead and post those with an application of some kind since it was decided to be character driven?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 03:59:21 pm »

It occurs to me, how do we want to adjudicate duels?  I don't see anything in the OP yet.

1. Play through the duels on the forums. 
>Pro: No extra software needed (except a die roller).  Flexible. 
>Con: Slow, cumbersome.  Prone to breaking down if/when players drop the game without notice.

2. Play through Duel Network or DevPro (or other YGO Pro clients).
>Pro: Quick, efficient.
>Con: Have to get some other program working for YGO Pro-derived clients, or register on another site for DN.  May not work for all players.  Players must be online concurrently.  May not be able to conduct a tag duel or battle royale.

3. Abstraction.  Give players basic stats (like Power, Technique, Money, Heart/Topdecking, Cheating, etc.), roll against these to see how each turn (for major duels) or the duel (for mook-beating) goes.  How the turn works out goes into fluff. 
>Pro: Don't have to worry about the card game itself - can focus on RP.  Random chance still plays a role. 
>Con: Have to build a stat system from scratch.  Random chance still plays a role.  We may actually want to play the card game, being that this is, you know, an RP about children's card games. 

4. Pure free-form.
>Pro: We have a mature player base that won't likely descend into bickering.  Story-driven - duels can go in a manner that makes the story interesting, instead of going off the rails because the big bad couldn't draw a monster for ten turns. 
>Con: Potential for accusations of god-modding, arguments still exists.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:01:13 pm by Culise »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 04:05:31 pm »

-snip-

You missed one.

5. Play through Duel on in an IRC room.
Pro: Same as 2
Con: Players must be online concurrently.

I know of one that could be used by the name of Chatzy that allows for custom messages (ex. Leaving the room give the prompt that the person forfeited the duel).

The Chat room could be used with 2, to cover players who cannot use the YGO Pro client and for multi-person duels.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:10:05 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 04:13:13 pm »

Well, I was thinking either 1 or 4, myself. Also, application form:
Name:
Duel Spirits: sees them? y/n
Backstory:
Deck:
Anything I should add?

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 04:32:47 pm »

I'd probably get rid of the Dual Spirits one, if people are given a main character button they're going to press it.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 04:47:15 pm »

I'd probably get rid of the Dual Spirits one, if people are given a main character button they're going to press it.

I'm only putting it at the barest edges of my character's awareness, being only able to innately know that something is in the area, and the spirits being able to urge towards certain actions, but, can't see them.

Edit: Though it does seem that the cards I have are setting me up to be the rival...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:56:35 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 05:23:15 pm »

Sorry if double post.  Had to ask one question, an edit wouldn't get the attention of anyone who had already clicked on the thread.  Question is as follows: Is this going to start before the exams and we have to duel through those, or is it going to start after the exams?

Name: Calagon Bahaum
Appearance: His appearance makes it difficult to tell his gender at a glance.  Due to this and to dodge bullying for it, he wears his hair longer in order so that his ambiguous appearance is blamed on the hair.  The hair is dyed black, but there are a few strands of silver hair buried within it.  His eyes are brown, but with a couple small streaks of red and blue visible under only close examination.  He stands a 5'7" and has a light tan skin tone.
Duel Spirits: Partially.  He can sense they are there, and they can imprint the need to perform certain actions on him, but he cannot see them.  Primary spirit that speaks to him is Divine Dragon Ragnarok.
Backstory: [Pending]

Spoiler: Cards (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:23:01 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42