Poll

Show rolls?

Show!
- 4 (57.1%)
Don't!
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: The Obsidian City (The Town Galam)  (Read 18810 times)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: The Obsidian City (Awaken)
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 05:58:58 pm »

Of course he shouldn't just go through such a kindly old woman's things! That would be incredibly rude! Instead, he should try to recall details about his life. Major kingdoms, cities, things of that nature! Where was he from? What was his childhood like?
Take a closer look at this text!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 06:35:50 pm »

*Coughs*

He promptly goes in and looks around!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 06:50:51 pm »

Where was he from? What was his childhood like?
In Quelle's early childhood...
a) he was raised in a nobleman's court, in Caybury. (+5 Empire of Taton relations)
b) he was born to a group of nomads, traveling the plains of Brawic. (+5 Brawic Tribes relations)
c) he was raised by a thief, who always showed him off to his friends. (+5 Underworld relations)
d) he was raised by a group of elves who had found him alone in the wilderness. (+5 Unity of Amar relations)
e) he was raised by a warband of goblins who had snatched him from his unknown parents. (+5 Goblin Warlands relations)
f) a dwarven merchant and his wife found and adopted him, bringing him back to their Mountainhome. (+5 Mountainhomes relations)

As a teenager...
a) he apprenticed to a court Caller in Vastone, and learned to hate the barbaric Brawns. (+3 Empire of Taton relation, -5 Brawic Tribes relations)
b) he learned from a village shaman to Call upon the Other Realm. One of his lessens involved stealing a horse from the elves. (+3 Brawic Tribes relations, -5 Unity of Amar relations)
c) a rogue Caller offered to pass on his knowledge in exchange for taking up his battle with Taton. (+3 Underworld relations, -5 Empire of Taton relations)
d) he was conscripted and trained by a goblin War Caller to be used in the war against the dwarves. (+3 Goblin Warlands relations, -5 Mountainhomes relations)
e) he was tutored by an elven Caller who was the Captain of the Guard in one of the many elven cities. (+3 Unity of Amar relations, -5 Underworld relations)
f) one of the few existing dwarven Callers taught him of The Call in order to help defend the Mountainhome. (+3 Mountainhomes relations, -5 Goblin Warlands relations)

In his early adult life...
a) he decided to become a merchant. (+5,000 starting silver)
b) he decided to become a blacksmith. (High quality starting weapons and armor)
c) he decided to become the best adventurer ever. (start with full adventuring gear and plenty of potions)
d) he decided to get lost in the woods, trip, and hit his head on a rock without leaving a mark. (starts the game)
e) he decided to become a noble lord. (start with a full retinue of bodyguards and plenty of land to his name)
f) he decided to become a mercenary. (start with some buddies and easy available work)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 06:52:37 pm »

1.) C
2.) F

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 08:00:24 pm »

In Quelle's early childhood...
a) he was raised in a nobleman's court, in Caybury. (+5 Empire of Taton relations)
b) he was born to a group of nomads, traveling the plains of Brawic. (+5 Brawic Tribes relations)
c) he was raised by a thief, who always showed him off to his friends. (+5 Underworld relations)
d) he was raised by a group of elves who had found him alone in the wilderness. (+5 Unity of Amar relations)
e) he was raised by a warband of goblins who had snatched him from his unknown parents. (+5 Goblin Warlands relations)
f) a dwarven merchant and his wife found and adopted him, bringing him back to their Mountainhome. (+5 Mountainhomes relations)

As a teenager...
a) he apprenticed to a court Caller in Vastone, and learned to hate the barbaric Brawns. (+3 Empire of Taton relation, -5 Brawic Tribes relations)
b) he learned from a village shaman to Call upon the Other Realm. One of his lessens involved stealing a horseDire Space Capybara from the elves. (+3 Brawic Tribes relations, -5 Unity of Amar relations)
c) a rogue Caller offered to pass on his knowledge in exchange for taking up his battle with Taton. (+3 Underworld relations, -5 Empire of Taton relations)
d) he was conscripted and trained by a goblin War Caller to be used in the war against the dwarves. (+3 Goblin Warlands relations, -5 Mountainhomes relations)
e) he was tutored by an elven Caller who was the Captain of the Guard in one of the many elven cities. (+3 Unity of Amar relations, -5 Underworld relations)
f) one of the few existing dwarven Callers taught him of The Call in order to help defend the Mountainhome. (+3 Mountainhomes relations, -5 Goblin Warlands relations)

In his early adult life...
a) he decided to become a merchant. (+5,000 starting silver)
b) he decided to become a blacksmith. (High quality starting weapons and armor)
c) he decided to become the best adventurer ever. (start with full adventuring gear and plenty of potions)
d) he decided to get lost in the woods, trip, and hit his head on a rock without leaving a mark. (starts the game)
e) he decided to become a noble lord. (start with a full retinue of bodyguards and plenty of land to his name)
f) he decided to become a mercenary. (start with some buddies and easy available work)
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 08:02:59 pm »

Dude, you're literally wasting one of the reputation gains with that. The heck?

0+5=5
5-5=0

Seriously?
I mean, maybe you're trying to just make nobody dislike us, but...

Come on, an Underworld rep boost seems WAAAAY more useful.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:04:30 pm by Lyeos »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 08:16:56 pm »

Leaving aside for a moment that I was going for backstory rather than mechanical gain (mysterious wandering child, found by and grew up with Elves, befriended Dire Space Capybara belonging to some Elf, learnt Calling from mystic barbarian nomad teacher (explaining combat focus), had to overcome cruel Elf slavery of adorable Dire Space Capybara to truly learn Calling, now travels with adorable best friend fighting [whatever]), we have no idea what any faction will be like (beyond fantasy race stereotypes), whose territory (if any) the best resources and fights will be in, etc.
If we keep everyone at at least Indifferent, it'll be easier to travel around, see what factions are like, pick whoever we want to be associated with (if any), do random quests and such, get rep, etc.
Also, for all we know Underworld is literal, and we'd be friends with a bunch of Cave Fish Men or something useless like that.
Or maybe Kobolds and Batmen... hmmm, I might have to change my vote...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:19:55 pm by Harbingerjm »

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 08:22:33 pm »

I'm sorry, but, going against the group that both rescued him from the wilderness and raised him seems a bit ridiculous. Especially since the option was for a horse, not our current companion that you decided to change it to for some ridiculous backstory.

At the very least, the thief then mountainhomes bit makes more sense, because, let's face it, who doesn't hate goblins?

Alas, there is no emoticon or symbol-based face to accurately portray the disapproval I feel.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:24:35 pm by Lyeos »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 08:31:26 pm »

I'm sorry, but, going against the group that both rescued him from the wilderness and raised him seems a bit ridiculous. Especially since the option was for a horse, not our current companion that you decided to change it to for some ridiculous backstory.
Who said it was the same group? It's an entire faction, and stealing from the guy down the road or in the next town over is just as much a crime as stealing from the people who adopt you.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 08:51:15 pm »

Ah, no, it's crime underworld. I don't much care about changing the options for back story purposes either. I mostly have only basic details for each of the factions so I can flesh it out when we encounter them. Basically I'm just being lazy. Anyways, basic faction semi-meta-knowledge.

Empire of Taton - largest human faction, controls numerous cities, castles, and towns. Think Roman empire minus legions for politics and technology with the addition of basic firearms. They can live practically anywhere. The capitol is Tato.

Brawic - smaller human faction, mostly various tribes and clans all under one common banner. Mix of Rome-era Germans/Britons and Huns; they live mostly in the plains of Brawic. Thus their name. For settlements there are mostly small villages/towns and only one city, the capitol Hedlir. They have basic firearms, all of them suited to firing on horseback.

Underworld - Mix of all races, average crime underworld with connections in almost every court and city. You have to be kinda high-up to use those connections. Can get access to pretty much anything, if they have the silver and know the right people.

Unity of Amar - The main elven faction Cannibalism is usually a no-no, but can be excused if the situation deems so (i.e. starving). They make wooden cities in many forests and use a strange and terrible kind of Call they name 'magic'. With it they enhance the growth of trees so they can hollow them out and make towers. These elves also aren't insane over the protection of their forests, and will accept wooden goods. They largely don't use firearms, preferring their rapid fire bows. The capitol is Nevas

Goblin Warlands - Only 'organized' goblin faction, they are a bunch of warlords loosely held together by a powerful goblin Caller. They inhabit an area that is more or less frozen solid. Typical goblins otherwise, they squabble amongst themselves, are cowardly, and have a burning hatred of dwarves. Firearms consist of what they can scavenge from the other factions.

Mountainhomes - Main dwarven faction, typical MDF dwarves but less mindless and stupid. Have slightly more advanced firearms than everyone else. Not much more to say about them right now.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 01:27:55 am »

At the very least, the thief then mountainhomes bit makes more sense, because, let's face it, who doesn't hate goblins?

Alas, there is no emoticon or symbol-based face to accurately portray the disapproval I feel.

On an unrelated note F and F, because Dwarves
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2014, 03:08:37 pm »

((Apologies for the lack of updates. It'll be slow for a while as I'm busy irl but I'll try to update whenever I can.))

Somewhere in between trying to remember what his life was like, Quelle decides to go through the door. Inside it, there is only a small red lantern to illuminate what at first seems to be a small antechamber. However, once his eyes adjusted to the low light Quelle realized that he was actually standing in a cavernous room, nearly twice the size of the previous one. There are about 8 bunks in the room, and another door on the far side. No one is inside, as far as Quelle can tell. The woman calls out once more.
The meal is almost ready! I just have to set the table.
I shall be there momentarily!

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2014, 03:11:50 pm »

I'll go F F too. Because Dwarves.

Ignore. Not my vote anymore.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:08:40 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2014, 01:25:02 am »

I'd go with C and C. The Underworld seems to be the most influential of the factions, definitely one worth having on your side.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2014, 01:27:35 am »

I'd go with C and C. The Underworld seems to be the most influential of the factions, definitely one worth having on your side.
I will swap my vote to this if it gets us Underworld rep.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15