Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 16373 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 6: An Unlucky Mage
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2014, 10:07:43 pm »

I like the cursed mage  :P
I don't think, Harry, that teaching a tree self defense aligns with your goals quite.  ;)
Aren't your goals to improve the wood?
((2 critical failures and one overshot in a single turn tend to lead things in a new direction. Or kill someone. Or both!))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2014, 12:46:20 am »

Once the parts have cooled down, begin assembly.

I'm surprised this has gone so well on my part, so I'm going to jinx it by saying it aloud.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2014, 02:34:08 am »

"Oh... my. What an... interesting twist."

Retrieve dead mage helper - take back all of my advance money, split his body into parts and put all of them in separate cages, making sure to remove all shards but one on each part - observe changes to decomposition and such over a few days. Watch out for abnormalities. Engage in further experimentation on the side!

Also, see if I can persuade any people from the Carpenters' Guild to come over and give me a hand with this - things have become unexpectedly dangerous (but don't tell them that, of course!).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:02:09 am by Harry Baldman »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2014, 10:06:15 am »

While waiting for the poisoned rats to recover, ask if anyone knows of safe, memory altering herbs, and of their effects.

If so, look for them.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2014, 06:44:09 pm »

Turn 7: Someone Built Something!

Iktaka Modri
[Loot corpse: Simple= 10] Modri went over to the unfortunate mage and collected the 20 shillings she had paid him earlier, along with another 10. If she kept “recycling” wages like that this project would be cheaper than the Guild had anticipated!

[Cut Mage Up and put in cages: Simple=7]The mage was, after the recovery of Modri’s money, chopped up and hung in cages. [Observe changes: Moderate=8] His lower body was observed to be ignored by insects and animals alike, although his flesh didn’t do anything interesting.

Spoiler: Test 2 Rolls (click to show/hide)
The scrapwood was easily drilled into, and a crystal was slipped in. The crystal was more challenging without the mage, but still possible with some grunt work by Modri. The wood didn’t appear to do anything with the newly inserted crystal, however, and Modri recalled that the mage had once mentioned that it took living energy to access their power.

[Get Help: Moderate=2] When Modri brought Guild members to her tree to see if she could interest them in helping they noted the body parts hanging in cages all around. A forestry member told them that her project was related to crystals, and so the relevance of the dismembered corpse was questioned. Needless to say nobody was interested in helping her, and representatives would come around soon to check her progress. And sanity.

1 Turn till Audit, +30 shillings, -1 crystal
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Steal Boulder: Moderate=9] Podri started to concentrate and grunted quietly a couple of times before the boulder popped over the wall and landed softly in the grass. [Hide it: Moderate=5] Hiding a large boulder turned out to be a bigger challenge than lifting it over a wall. Seemed backwards to Bane, but most magic was a little beyond him. That’s why he had Podri. The garden was mostly flowers, but there was a clump that was larger than most others. It did a little to obscure the boulder from the most casual of observers, but wouldn’t hold up if someone was actually looking.

+ Poorly Hidden Boulder
Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)

Herman Tongs
[Assemble: Moderate=8][Average part quality ~ Great] Herman removed each part from the mold carefully after they had cooled and began to assemble them. Everything fit well onto the frame and the hammer looked like it would do the job very well. He had his first machine. He didn’t know if it would work, and he wasn’t sure it would be more efficient, but he had built something at least!

+ Great Hand-Crank Hammer, - Parts

Wol Fann
[Wait for Recovery: Simple=6] Given enough time any toxin will leave the system. The conditions of all three rats improved, with the red vine poisoned one showing the fastest recovery.

[Ask after safe memory altering herbs: Moderate= 4] The problem was that memory altering herbs tended to be the most dangerous ones. The toxicologists only knew that this was true. The physiologists gave a variety of different target organs, but they always explained that this organ housed not only memories but the self. Attacking memories was attacking the self. So, it turned out, most thought that a safe memory altering herb was a logical impossibility.

Status changes in Rats
My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 7: Someone Built Something!
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2014, 07:03:04 pm »

Test the recovered rats on memory. Compare it to original test results.

"But, couldn't a carefully targeted memory altering herb, with others mixed in to prevent brain damage, be safe... ish?"

((I've bolded that because I want Wol to debate it with them.

Edit: Autocorrect.))
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 07:15:41 pm by Playergamer »
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2014, 07:12:26 pm »

Waitlist me, please.

Name: Rune Allost
Guild: Allosmith
Specialty: Alloy Creation
Notable Characteristics: Complete and utter perfectionist, rather impatient.
Proposal: Hoping to create new alloys containing iron, copper, zinc, and/or tin. Will also experiment with gold and silver, but on a more minor level.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2014, 08:32:02 pm »

Uproot some flowers and try to increase the size of the clump of flowers hiding the boulder.

Then, look around for some travelling merchants heading to Korinscove. Ask them if they're willing to carry us and our cargo there, and pretend that we've been looking for a ride throughout the day and couldn't find one.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2014, 08:41:11 pm »

Test the recovered rats on memory. Compare it to original test results.

"But, couldn't a carefully targeted memory altering herb, with others mixed in to prevent brain damage, be safe... ish?"

((I've bolded that because I want Wol to debate it with them.

Edit: Autocorrect.))
((I'll do the debate between this turn and the next to keep from slowing you down. All rolls will be moderate, but fails won't necessarily halt the conversation.))

[7] At this both the toxicologists and physiologists paused, and a brief flurry of speculation ensued.

Quote from: Herbalists Speculating
Tox1: "Memory altering herbs seemed to have generalized toxins, which impact many functions at once. This likely means that any attenuation of the toxin will negate the memory altering effects and render the toxin useless."
Tox2: "Now that's not always true. Red vine has caused nausea in some instances which is not treated by herbs, while the dizziness can sometimes be countered."
Tox1: "That's hardly a fair counter. Nausea is well documented to be a frequent secondary symptom to any herbs, regardless of their toxicological profile. You can give a rat anti-nausea herbs and make it vomit."
Phys1: "Hang on though. When we say that the self and memory are housed in the same organ we aren't saying they are the same function of that organ. It's possible that the brain could be acting in separate ways to sustain the life force and to house memories."
Phys2: "Even if it was true the brain housed the self and not the heart I think you are wrong. They are fundamentally the same function, at least as far as we have evidence. I've never heard a case that found a separation between them, and plenty of evidence that suggests deterioration of memory leads to death."

((Rune is on the list))
My Area

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2014, 08:50:22 pm »

((At this point I want to point out that there has to be at least one hero wandering about out there with amnesia, but can't say that IC because I'm not IC yet))
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2014, 09:03:39 pm »

((At this point I want to point out that there has to be at least one hero wandering about out there with amnesia, but can't say that IC because I'm not IC yet))
((These are researchers, they're referring mostly to rats. Maybe rabbits. Dogs or pigs if they want a model really close to a human. :) ))
My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2014, 09:25:39 pm »

"And... This is all speculation? No one has tested these on a human-like model? Interesting.."
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2014, 09:35:46 pm »

"And... This is all speculation? No one has tested these on a human-like model? Interesting.."
Tox1:"Well you understand they're not normally cooperative with that sort of thing. New medicines, yes. New toxins, especially ones that mess with their heads, not so much."
My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2014, 09:38:04 pm »

"Yes, I understand that, but... Maybe try it on pigs to see if it is safe? Or dogs? Something with more intelligence then an average rat."
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2014, 09:54:06 pm »

"Yes, I understand that, but... Maybe try it on pigs to see if it is safe? Or dogs? Something with more intelligence then an average rat."
[9] Tox2:"I've been known to work with pigs. Won't do dogs. You can usually scale up toxins from rats by taking a ratio of mass… It'd theoretically be possible."
My Area

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16