Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Roll to Innovate - Turn 31: Crystal Fever!  (Read 16376 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 3: A Dead Rat
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2014, 11:11:04 pm »

Typo in lore page:
"This cove attracts a huge variety of strange marine life for no well understood region reason."

I notice that "Difficult" actions have a "1" listed, but as you are using 2d6, 1 should not be possible.

Waitlist.
Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 3: A Dead Rat
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2014, 11:25:43 pm »

Typo in lore page:
"This cove attracts a huge variety of strange marine life for no well understood region reason."

I notice that "Difficult" actions have a "1" listed, but as you are using 2d6, 1 should not be possible.

Waitlist.
Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
((Character will be added to waitlist, typos added to to-do list, for all active players turn will be posted ~24 hours from now. Thank you very much for your editing!))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 4: Money Well Spent
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2014, 11:46:58 pm »

Turn 4: Money Well Spent

Iktaka Modri
Thirty shillings were passed off to the unlucky mage, in exchange for a large number of shards. Modri was quite pleased with her luck. [Find Willing Mage: Moderate=7] The guy who just had a chunk cut out of his leg doesn't seem too interest in continuing with the current project, but would like to know how much you can pay him before promising anything.

- 30 shillings
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

George Thain
George was still stuck in negotiations with the mercenaries, who appeared to mostly dodge his questions through strange riddles.

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Bane Willedhelm
[Befriend Guard and Ask to Leave Post: Moderate=9] Sailors always know the best alehouses, or at least how to identify them. Bane found a place serving good ale and bought two mugs. He found one of the night guards, identified by Podri, and brought him a mug. They chatted, and Bane dropped several hints about how the ale at this establishment was as good as any in Korinscove. A couple of more shillings given to the guard, telling him to buy himself a mug tonight, and the man was more than happy to take a break from his job. Bane returned to the alehouse and spent some time sharing fishing stories with other patrons, spending a couple more coin for social lubricant. [Hold Alcohol: Simple (You are a fisherman, after all)= 9] Luckily the alcohol had little effect on Bane's state of mind as dark fell.

-12 shillings
Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)

Herman Tongs
[Find Parts: Moderate=5] Nobody seemed to have spare mechanical parts lying around, having not much interest in the subject, and being too busy to make the parts for him. [Find Cast Material: Simple=7] However, there was an abundance of wax laying around, accessible to all casting smiths.

+ Wax for Casting

Wol Fann
Wol tossed both White Crown and cowbane into the mortar and ground them together with the pestle. [Test mixture on rat: Moderate= 5] The slurry went into the rat's mouth, but quickly came back out. The rat again spasmed and died, although this time the toxin did take slightly longer to kill it.

[Find a non-lethal dose: Moderate= 8] After five attempts of successive attempts, each with a more dilute toxin, eventually found the strongest toxin which the rat could survive. It wasn't pretty, there was still a lot of vomiting and spasms.

Wol was quickly running out of rats...

+ 5 Dead Rats, + 1 Poisoned Rat
My Area

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2014, 12:09:56 am »

Shape the molds for the parts needed for the crank-hammer out of the wax, hone them until they are perfect. Remember to create one for each part, even duplicates.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2014, 12:41:47 am »

"Well, I do have a strict budget. Would a 20 shilling advance payment interest you, with more to come as we get greater funding?" Moddri asks.

Offer advance payment in return for services. If accepted, leave for the main staging area with new helper. If not, how about offering 30 shillings? And if he wants more, well, tough luck. At any rate, time to prepare for actual science.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2014, 01:29:03 am »

Ask the guard to assist us in acquiring a tortoise boulder. Tell him that we plan to slay great beasts and that he will be remembered should we reap any benefits.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2014, 09:21:49 am »

"Finally!"

Give the poisoned rat a minute dose of Sage. See what happens.

Get more rats, either by buying them or catching them. Make sure a few are bigger and a few are smaller then the average.

Do the memory tests I described earlier.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2014, 05:50:14 pm »

Turn 5: Wax Molds Galore!

Iktaka Modri
Modri made a fairly small offer of twenty iron shillings to the mage, hoping his recent trauma would be enough to get him out of Varisport. [Hire for 20: Moderate=7] Her suspicions were confirmed, because while the mage did grumble a bit about the small amount of coin he also did join her.

With the mage’s leg still recovering from the mishap with the crystal shard, walking or riding was out of the question. Modri needed to hire a cart, costing her another 6 shillings. She arrived full of hope in Ferrarbor, knowing she had the resources to make a major discovery, if her luck held out.

- 26 shillings, + 1 Mage Helper

George Thain
George was finally on the move towards a cave!!

Bane Willedhelm
[Get the Guard to Assist: Moderate=11] The guard was a lightweight. Bane and his companions could wrack up huge bar tabs before being willing to make as stupid of decisions as this guard was prepared to. It didn’t take money, hell it didn’t even take any more alcohol. The mere suggestion of fame, and the slaying of great beasts, had the guard jumping up and almost proclaiming the plan to everyone, thinking he could recruit the entire alehouse. Almost. Bane and Podri managed to calm the overeager guard down and get him to come out of the alehouse, setting off towards the Mages Guild compound.

On their arrival they found the building that Podri had described. It had a fairly high wall but no roof. The entrance was guarded by two men who looked substantially more serious about their job than the drunken tag along, but there was a side by the garden where there were no guards, nor would there be tonight.

+ 1 drunken guard

Herman Tongs
Spoiler: Your Many Rolls (click to show/hide)

Herman got to work making duplicate molds for each part he would need, knowing many would fail, and each would only be used once. Three of his molds did fall apart as he formed them, but all of the others kept their shapes. He took these remaining nine and tried to hone them, perfecting their shape. The work was repetitive and demanded a lot of concentration, but Herman was experienced in casting, and the work came easily.  He had a mold of a mechanism that he would have been disappointed to show another smith, and a number of decently made molds of most parts, but by far his happiest moment was when he stepped back from the mold for the frame. It was perfectly shaped and he felt confident that any shrinkage of the metal during the casting process would easily be compensated for by the precision of the mold. Whatever else happened to his machinery, he knew it would be structurally supported unless something disastrous happened during the pouring process.

Wol Fann
[Give Poisoned Rat Sage: Simple= 5] It was sort of tough to get the rat to eat any of the sage, given its current state, however some did go down. It seemed to calm down the spasms. It seemed that the rat was incapable of responding to stimuli in any way, but its symptoms had calmed and it was still breathing.

[Get more rats: Simple=8] There wasn’t a single person in the guild who wouldn’t like a little more money than they had, such was the state of the Herbalists Guild. A couple of novices were willing to take a break from their studies to chase rats for Guild credits. 20 credits bought 7 rats, with two being rather fat and one clearly younger than the other specimens.

[Train rats: Moderate= 10, 8 ,4 ,12,8, 12, 5] One of the fat ones was too interested in sleeping to go after the food. Another one of intermediate size just didn’t seem to get it, no matter how hard Wol tried. This rat was just too stupid. The young rat was quick to pick up, but was so damn cute that Wol became rather attached. Little Jorun quickly became Wol’s favorite. Another rat was allergic to the food, or something, because it didn’t actually survive eating it.

My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2014, 06:16:52 pm »

Look for memory-altering herbs.

Test more poison combinations on the rats that didn't understand. (Cowbane, Sage. Red Vine, White Crown. Red Vine, Sage.)

Finally, give one of the trained rats a safe poison mixture, and see if they have the same memory as before the poison.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 5: Wax Molds Galore!
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2014, 01:05:33 am »

((I actually meant to only make two molds for the parts I need two of as the molds can only be used once, but that works as well.))

Place the best of my molds on casting tables of the correct sizes and cast a suitable amount of bronze into them.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2014, 03:10:13 am »

"Well, now we can finally get to work, I suppose."

How many live trees do I have access to?

Regardless of this number, perform first test.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2014, 03:58:56 pm »

Send the drunken guard through and have him report on whether or not there are any boulders near the wall.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Innovate - Turn 6: An Unlucky Mage
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2014, 05:02:14 pm »

Turn 6: An Unlucky Mage

Iktaka Modri
Modri was informed she had access to 8 trees. They were scattered throughout the plot, and she suspected she had been given leftovers that hadn’t been claimed for other projects.

Spoiler: Test 1 Rolls (click to show/hide)
The first attempt to drill through a tree Modri selected one that was too young. The drill barely fit and it was clear that the tree was killed by the effort. On the second tree the drill slipped, cutting into the mage’s hand. Modri began to suspect he was cursed. The second attempt on that tree did manage to make a hole for the crystal, and some magical pushing from the mage easily slid it into the tree. Modri and the mage took turns observing over the next two days. This gave them time to talk about the nature of crystals, and he did relay that crystals never lost power through use, although fragmenting appeared to reduce power substantially, hence the earlier experiments he was involved in. They watched diligently but the only result was that the mage was chased off by a bear. Another hole drilled and another crystal inserted. This time was different though. Over the next few hours the wood clearly grew around the crystal. Hours later it was clear the tree was pushing leaves out of the way so that a hole in the canopy followed the sun, giving the tree perpetual access to the sun. It then used its newfound power to push the mage away when he came close, perhaps suspecting he would drill into it. He fell on top of the crate and had several shards stuck into him and soon died of crystal sickness. Definitely cursed.

+1 Dead Mage, -1 Tree, +1 Crystal-Embedded Tree

George Thain
George was having an adventure!

Bane Willedhelm
[Send Guard to Scout: Moderate=8] It was difficult to get the man to straighten himself out to make it less obvious he was intoxicated, but Bane managed it. After this the guard was sent inside, supposedly checking inventory. He came back to report that there was a boulder which was accessibly close.

Herman Tongs
[All rolls Moderate] Herman selected the best mold out of each set and poured bronze into it. [Well-Made Hammer: 11+1] Pouring went beautifully on the hammer mold, resulting in a perfect hammer. [Great Mechanism=5+2][Fair Mechanism=11] The pouring of the mechanisms went less well. The teeth on them were hard to get right, and the first one the pour was rather uneven, but the mold compensated for it. By the second attempt Herman was better aware of the challenges of casting a mechanism and managed to pour much more steadily. [Perfect Frame=8+3] The frame pour went well enough, not terribly remarkable, but Herman was still confident he was going to be pleased with his efforts. [Fair Spring=7][Well-Made Crank=7+1] Both the spring and crank were successful but unremarkable pours as well.

+ Perfect Hammer, + Great Mechanism, + Well-Made Mechanism, +Great Frame, + Well-Made Spring, + Well-Made Crank

Wol Fann
[Look for memory-altering herbs: Moderate=2] Wol left his rats to go look for new memory altering herbs but got lost. He was gone so long that when he returned he found Little Jorun had eaten some of the cowbane and perished.

[All Moderate: Cowbane/Sage=6, Red Vine/White Crown=7, Red Vine/Sage= 4] Cowbane was tricky to work with, and killed off the lazy fat rat, even with the addition of sage. Red vine proved to be much more survivable. The other rat that didn’t understand survived the red vine combined with white crown, seeming to merely get rather disoriented and lose fine motor control. This did mean, however, that Wol couldn’t safely feed it the second combination, as it just couldn’t seem to eat it properly.

[Give Trained Rat Safe Mixture: Moderate= 4] Rather than starting with the combination of cowbane and white crown, which seemed risky, Wol began by feeding one of his trained rats red vine and white crown. It survived the herbs, but it was difficult to measure its memory because it couldn’t yet orient itself well enough to properly choose a ball.

+2 dead rats, +1 Trained rat poisoned with Red Vine/White Crown, +1 Untrained rat poisoned with Red Vine/White Crown
My Area

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2014, 05:30:55 pm »

I like the cursed mage  :P
I don't think, Harry, that teaching a tree self defense aligns with your goals quite.  ;)
Aren't your goals to improve the wood?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2014, 05:32:43 pm »

Go for the steal! Hide the boulder in some brush afterward so that we can assess ways to bring the boulder back to Korinscove.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16